Hunting season

Nosenheimer

Dumb question, but here it goes: A friend of mine sends me a picture of her horse ... the horse is wearing a neon-orange hat ... I ask her why the hat ... she says, so that hunters don't mistake the horse for a deer. :confused:
Now for the question: How can anybody mistake a horse for a deer unless they were doing too much :cheers:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Some irresponsible people will shoot any large creature that moves. Sometimes they are near a farm and don't realize it. They've been know to kill horses and cows.

Last edited:

Nosenheimer

Be careful out there :smile:

Oh yeah, 'nother question: How come hunters wear camouflage? I heard deer are colorblind :confused:

Let me know if my questions get on your nerves :bubble:

claire

Don't hunters have some kind of boundaries or something? I keep hearing shots nearby and wonder if they should be hunting this close to peoples homes.

Originally posted by Nosenheimer
Oh yeah, 'nother question: How come hunters wear camouflage? I heard deer are colorblind :confused:
They may be color blind, but they can tell the difference between a tree and a guy wearing a solid color outfit. You need the camo to break up your outline against the tree. That is why you will see camo w/ blaze orange in it. The deer can't tell it's orange, just a different shade of grey to them.

Originally posted by claire
Don't hunters have some kind of boundaries or something? I keep hearing shots nearby and wonder if they should be hunting this close to peoples homes.
From the MD DNR Website "In addition to the regulations listed elsewhere in this guide,

IT IS UNLAWFUL TO: Hunt or shoot at wildlife within 150 yards of an occupied structure or camp without permission of the owner or occupant."

BullDawg

Duck Molester
Originally posted by Nosenheimer
Dumb question, but here it goes: A friend of mine sends me a picture of her horse ... the horse is wearing a neon-orange hat ... I ask her why the hat ... she says, so that hunters don't mistake the horse for a deer. :confused:
Now for the question: How can anybody mistake a horse for a deer unless they were doing too much :cheers:
Not trying to pick, but no hunter will mistake a horse for a deer. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. When horses or cows end up getting shot, it’s because a couple of idiots are driving around with a gun and a 12 pack causing trouble. Most horses/cows that get shot are shot at night by someone spotlighting. These people aren't hunting, as hunting hours are from sunrise to sunset, but criminals breaking the law. Call them what they are - criminals, idiots and troublemakers, but definitely not hunters... Your friend is not protecting her horse from hunters, but from criminals. I've hunted many times times in my life, but I never once hunted in somebody’s cow pasture. JMHO

Dymphna

Re: Re: Hunting season

Originally posted by BullDawg
Not trying to pick, but no hunter will mistake a horse for a deer. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. When horses or cows end up getting shot, it’s because a couple of idiots are driving around with a gun and a 12 pack causing trouble. Most horses/cows that get shot are shot at night by someone spotlighting. These people aren't hunting, as hunting hours are from sunrise to sunset, but criminals breaking the law. Call them what they are - criminals, idiots and troublemakers, but definitely not hunters... Your friend is not protecting her horse from hunters, but from criminals. I've hunted many times times in my life, but I never once hunted in somebody’s cow pasture. JMHO

They are also shooting off the property they have permission for, because I doubt the horse/cow owner gave them permission to hunt in the pasture.

I know of a man who was shot a couple of weeks ago, with a rifle. 1. not deer season, illegal 2. a rifle, illegal it this part of the state. 3. shooting off his own property, illegal

If they were responsible hunters (like the vast majority of hunters are) they couldn't make mistakes like these. They wouldn't be shooting something they haven't positively identified, they wouldn't be drinking, they would be following all the laws put out there to protect people, live stock and pets.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
A story from last year...

Twelve-year-old Lindsey Duffield of Browns Valley, Minn., loves horses, and Saturday morning -- the opening of deer season -- she was riding one of her favorites, a white 9-year-old mare named Princess.

Striding along the driveway of her grandfather's farm on the edge of town, Lindsey and Princess trailed behind them a dark bay gelding, its halter fixed to a lead rope that Lindsey was holding. Lindsey and the two horses were traveling toward her parents' farm a short distance away.

When a shot rang out, Princess startled. But Lindsey didn't know anything was wrong until, minutes later, her leg drew cold with blood.

She hadn't been hit. But Princess had taken a 12-gauge slug in her front shoulder, Traverse County Sheriff Don Montonye said, fired by an 89-year-old neighbor sitting in a chair 200 yards away.

Lindsey turned the mare loose in a nearby pasture, where the horse immediately lay down. Then she ran home, crying and telling her father, "They shot my horse!"

Dave Duffield, 47, called 911 and also phoned his veterinarian. Then he returned with Lindsey to check on Princess.

When the two arrived, the hunter, who first chased whitetails in 1926, was still in his chair. But Lindsey didn't know whether it was he or someone else who had shot Princess.

After Dave Duffield had checked on the horse, he walked to where the neighbor sat. "I said, 'Someone shot Lindsey's horse while she was on it,' " Duffield said. "He said, 'I fired that shot. I thought it was a deer.' "

A slug fired from a 12-gauge will drop about 6 feet from its aiming point at 200 yards, ammunition manufacturers say, meaning the neighbor might have aimed that far above Princess to hit the mare in the shoulder.

No charges have been filed. The slug remains in the horse. "Princess might survive," Dave Duffield said. "We don't know."

BullDawg

Duck Molester
Re: A story from last year...

Originally posted by Sharon
Twelve-year-old Lindsey Duffield of Browns Valley, Minn., loves horses, and Saturday morning -- the opening of deer season -- she was riding one of her favorites, a white 9-year-old mare named Princess.

Striding along the driveway of her grandfather's farm on the edge of town, Lindsey and Princess trailed behind them a dark bay gelding, its halter fixed to a lead rope that Lindsey was holding. Lindsey and the two horses were traveling toward her parents' farm a short distance away.

When a shot rang out, Princess startled. But Lindsey didn't know anything was wrong until, minutes later, her leg drew cold with blood.

She hadn't been hit. But Princess had taken a 12-gauge slug in her front shoulder, Traverse County Sheriff Don Montonye said, fired by an 89-year-old neighbor sitting in a chair 200 yards away.

Lindsey turned the mare loose in a nearby pasture, where the horse immediately lay down. Then she ran home, crying and telling her father, "They shot my horse!"

Dave Duffield, 47, called 911 and also phoned his veterinarian. Then he returned with Lindsey to check on Princess.

When the two arrived, the hunter, who first chased whitetails in 1926, was still in his chair. But Lindsey didn't know whether it was he or someone else who had shot Princess.

After Dave Duffield had checked on the horse, he walked to where the neighbor sat. "I said, 'Someone shot Lindsey's horse while she was on it,' " Duffield said. "He said, 'I fired that shot. I thought it was a deer.' "

A slug fired from a 12-gauge will drop about 6 feet from its aiming point at 200 yards, ammunition manufacturers say, meaning the neighbor might have aimed that far above Princess to hit the mare in the shoulder.

No charges have been filed. The slug remains in the horse. "Princess might survive," Dave Duffield said. "We don't know."
Once again, not a hunter. Old man sitting in a chair... When people get old, typically their family takes away their drivers license so they can't hurt anyone. Why would a gun be any different?

Nosenheimer

I appreciate all the input, so I was right then ... real hunters know the difference between a horse & a deer ... it's just the poachers and others that basically don't give a sh*t, as long as it moves.

Thank you all :smile:

slackwater514

I have to agree that poachers are the cause of most of our troubles - just three weeks ago, two of my horses were shot in my pasture - my boarder discovered it the next day when it was her turn to feed. Now, one of them is gray - there's no way you would mistake that for a deer, orange vest or not. My guess is some teens/twenty somethings out for a joyride...my poor horses. Luckily, they're both okay now...
As for "hunters" that shoot horses - they have to be the trigger-happy type. I wouldn't put it past them to accidentally shoot a horse, but they'd have to be stupid to first shoot it and then fess up - just to prove my point.
Not that I'm condoning NOT fessing up...but still.

BullDawg

Duck Molester
Originally posted by appyday
Years ago an artical in the post...two HUNTERs in a car with a DEER strapped to the hood...took the mans DAIRY COW (black and white) to the weigh station to check it in.
Obviously two city boys who couldn't find their way out of a wet paper bag, idiots none the less - not hunters. To be allowed to hunt in Maryland you have to pass a hunter's safety course. Anybody who passes this course and the test at the end can tell the difference between a cow and a deer. Every state has a similiar program.

My point is just because you own a gun and can shoot an animal, it doesn't automatically make you a hunter. You have to earn that title. The media continully publishes articles like these using the word hunter. These people are not hunters and it gives hunting a bad name.

Dymphna

Obviously two city boys who couldn't find their way out of a wet paper bag, idiots none the less - not hunters. To be allowed to hunt in Maryland you have to pass a hunter's safety course. Anybody who passes this course and the test at the end can tell the difference between a cow and a deer. Every state has a similiar program.

My point is just because you own a gun and can shoot an animal, it doesn't automatically make you a hunter. You have to earn that title. The media continully publishes articles like these using the word hunter. These people are not hunters and it gives hunting a bad name.

BD,

Don't get so offended. I think everyone who has posted here recognizes that the kind of idiots who shoot livestock are not representative of the average hunter. But I do think it is fair to call anyone who possesses a valid hunting license by the term "hunter." It is a legal definition. The guys who shot the cow probably did have a license or else they wouldn't have tried to check it. Are they idiots? yes. Are they irresponsible? yes. Do they give hunters a bad name? yes. Does it mean all hunters are idiots? no.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...

same argument can be used for parenting :ohwell:

peanut_dog2002

Been riding at Greenwell for years with hunters and never had a problem. Most of them are real nice and know difference between a deer and a horse. A lot of the hunters I have run into have horses and understand. I have never been shot at and we have never had any of the Greenwell horses hit either.