boo to religion

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
boo to secular humanism!

Secular humanism is the root of all evil!

(Hey if you want to argue ad-hominem, one ridiculous assertion is as good as another):neener:

Welcome to the forums! :howdy:

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by BuddyLee
:burning: boo to religion it is the cause of all evil!!

My, my, my.

What a logical, original, well thought out, and brilliantly executed post. It presents the facts in such a fashion that I, who have been a Christian my entire life, have been shaken to my very core. I see now, that I have been wrong. I see now that 33 years of my life have been wasted on religion.

It has been an epiphany, the likes of which I don't believe I'll ever experience again.

Someone put this man in contact with Falwell and Robertson. He'll set them straight.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Buddy, is that what they teach you in college these days - to make a provocative remark, then run?

I enjoy theological discussions but not when people just make a remark without any thought process to back it up. :boo:

dustin

UAIOE
BuddyLee, which religions do you believe cause evil? All of them or a few? A type? That's a pretty general comment to make. Please expound.

ptbrien

Livin' for the Dream
OK, before we get EVERYONE'S panties in a bunch. . .

The statement was not well presented , but it does have some truth to it. I believe that faith and your beliefs (Judaism, Islam or Christianity) can lead to enlightenment. Religion has casued many, Many, MANY problems over the year's (see The Great Schism, the Crusades, 9/11, etc.

But those beliefs (Christianity, Islam and Judaism) in and of themselves do not "suck". The rules that were made by the people who "run" these religions or the sects that break off for whatever reason cause the problems.

As a practicing Catholic married to a Baptist, we have had a variety of discussions. Those differences in thoughts are due to the religion, not the faith, the masses not the individual.

As always, think before you speak brothers and sisters!:biggrin:

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Those differences in thoughts are due to the religion, not the faith, the masses not the individual.

Good point. Don't let your religion get in the way of your faith in the Lord. Otherwise you'll wind up with a pharisaical point of view, practicing the letter of the doctrine and missing the intent.

Actually, for a religious debate, especially one with a bomb thrown to start it like this one, I thought everybody was being pretty civil. Wait until you bear the label "Jesus Freak." That's when you can tell the non-believers are getting excited.

Welcome to the forums!:howdy:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Rather than "boo to religion", I say "boo to fanaticism". I don't believe in God but I don't have the hostility toward the faithful that some atheists have. When you get nuts like the Islamic mullahs or the Crusade-era Christians that want to kill people who don't follow a set religion, NOW you've got a problem.

Religion, in and of itself, isn't a bad thing. It's how some people manipulate religion that's evil.

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by ptbrien
OK, before we get EVERYONE'S panties in a bunch. . .

The statement was not well presented , but it does have some truth to it.

Well, I've been in enough religious debates to understand immediately what the OP was driving at, and I know the history of which you speak.

However, do you not think that it's bad form to just pop in somewhere and blurt out some nonsensical crapola like "Boo to religion" and then offer nothing further?

No facts. No arguments, no logic, no reason, no nothing. Just "it sux".

Religion is something that people build their lives upon. The original poster, many others may think it's stupid, and foolish, and a waste of time. But I, and others take it pretty seriously, whether you respect it or not.

I may not beat people over the head with my bible, and I may not be a zealot, but I still get my hackles up when someone just shows up and ####es in my wheaties for no apparent reason.

Last edited:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by Toxick
Religion is something that people build their lives upon. The original poster, many others may think it's stupid, and foolish, and a waste of time. But I, and others take it pretty seriously, whether you respect it or not.

I may not beat people over the head with my bible, and I may not be a zealot, but I still get my hackles up when someone just shows up and ####es in my wheaties for no apparent reason.
I'm thinking there was reason, T.

You see there is a history of "lurkers" who frequent these forums, who will only look in from the sidelines, never daring to comment out of one fear or another.

Seems like they study many of us from those sidelines, and decide to jump in with some weird $#!t, if only to see what reaction they can achieve.

Yeah, it's pretty lame, but there are people like that out there.

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by penncam
I'm thinking there was reason, T.

Could be, but it wasn't apparent to me.

I saw a T-Shirt one time. It was pretty funny. It said, "Your favorite band sucks".

Pretty clever and funny on first glance, but if you think about it, it's quite a bit more than that. Like religion, people have a tendancy to get extremely offended when someone disses their music. As if it were a personal insult.

Consequently, I am often baffled by the fact that someone will enter a discussion with something like, "God SuX" and then WONDER why everyone suddenly has a combative attitude with them. "You must all be a bunch of tightasses to react that way."

:bonk:

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
I've noticed a few lurkers in these forums. And you're right, Penn, usually you don't hear from them much until they ready to toss out a bomb like this and run away feeling as thought they really told 'em, but just sort of appearing to be pathetic.

:oops:

Actually I've been pleased to note that most of the posters on these forums have been polite and logical. Of course, in an anonymous environment like this one some people will feel more comfortable expressing an infamatory opinion, or launching a public attack.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Consequently, I am often baffled by the fact that someone will enter a discussion with something like, "God SuX" and then WONDER why everyone suddenly has a combative attitude with them. "You must all be a bunch of tightasses to react that way."
You can bite on comments like that and give the poster the attention they're looking for, or you don't have to. I'm trying to get better about not reacting and letting the bomb-throwers get my goat.

I was going to post back to Buddy Lee "Why do you say that?" But, frankly, I don't care why he says it because if he were trying to share his thoughts or have an intelligent discussion, he'd have started it differently.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by vraiblonde
You can bite on comments like that and give the poster the attention they're looking for, or you don't have to. I'm trying to get better about not reacting and letting the bomb-throwers get my goat.

But it's so much more fun when you react. :kiss:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by justhangn
But it's so much more fun when you react.
True that, but it's rarely worth it. Take this thread, for example: Buddy came on, tossed the bomb, and ran. Now we're discussing it (sort of) but he's long gone. So Toxick can go off on him all he wants, but there's no interaction so it's not satisfying.

I liked Tlatchaw's response the best. :lol:

J

justhangn

True that, but it's rarely worth it. Take this thread, for example: Buddy came on, tossed the bomb, and ran.
That's why I just ignored it and waited to joke with the posters.

Joking and jabbing is one thing, but coming out in a thread and posting your ignorance is another.

A closed mouth attracts no feet.

Toxick

Splat
So Toxick can go off on him all he wants

Whoa - hey! Who's going off? I initially made a sarcastic snarky reply, but after that, I was responding to others who were bringing up other points. Quite civilly I thought.

No going off.

I'm not a raving lunatic.

Come on CUT ME SOME SLACK!

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Whoa - hey! Who's going off?

No going off.

I'm not a raving lunatic.

Come on CUT ME SOME SLACK!
:cool: I'm not totally sold on statement #2!:biggrin:

Last edited: