Poll: Fat Butts

Fat Butts

• Yes - Unfair to others

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • No - Unfair to the poor fat people

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • No - Impossible to enforce (Excuse me ma'am but you're packin too much pooty there)

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Other

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
While riding into the city today and being crushed by the large posterior of my seat neighbor I thought of the following poll:

Should people whose butt is too big to fit into one seat in a public venue; bus, movie, airplane, be required to pay the fare for 2 seats?

Pete

Repete
It depends too on the airlines/bus/train companies. Airlines have managed to pack 325 people on a 250 passenger plane they may have made the problem worse.

BullDawg

Duck Molester
I was taking a puddle jumper into WV a couple years ago and was one of the last people to board. There was about 25 seats on the plane and some 500 pound dude was sitting in his chair and my chair. I look at the flight attendant who give me a rolling eyes look and then asks if I wouldn't mind sitting up in one of the flight crews foldup jump seats. The dude should of had to pay twice, and if someone had to of been bumped from the plane, it should be his arse for taking up two seats.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by cariblue
This was a great discussion some time ago. Southwest airlines has a policy that would require anyone using more than one space to pay for that extra space. I'm pretty sure they enforce it, too. Seems there was an article about it.

My answer is yes. If you take up two spaces, you should pay for two spaces. Especially if the extra space you're taking up is mine and I'm now squished.

:yeahthat: this happens on the bus all the time. quite annoying. :mad:

Beener

There are a ton of fat people these days, America is very overweight. I agree that they should have to pay for the space they take up, but then again it's not fair to discriminate against large people. So, I'd have to say that we can expect some larger seating in planes and buses in the future to accomodate the 'fat butts' as you called them, jlabsher.

SeaRide

With heliboarding/heliskiing ( helicopter ride/lift for snow lovers), you have to disclose your weight before getting on the helicopter. One heliskiing company's policy says if you weigh more than 240 pounds, have to pay for the extra seat. Not sure if that has to do with butt size or the weight load limit for the helicopter. :shrug: I am sure they are thinking safety first. :rolleyes:

aphrodite17

In all honesty, to enforce someone to pay double for taking a bus is unfair. The seats on buses, trains and planes are geared to the smaller person. Many people in this country are overweight and to enforces such a thing would be discriminating against and unfair. Many of the people who are overweight may feel embarassed by taking up more than one seat or not fitting properly in the seats. Losing weight is a hard thing to do and I know cause I have lost the weight and I can see both sides but one just needs to remember how you would feel if you were in that person's position.

crabcake

How is it fair to the other person ... the person who isn't using both seats? :confused: Why should I be forced to endure an uncomfortable hour plus ride home paying the same price as someone who needs both seats? I'll grant you ... losing weight isn't always easy but I'd be curious to know how many of the people on the bus who use more than one seat are actually TRYING to lose weight. It's not fair either to essentially penalize a person who just wants the full use of the seat they paid for instead of having to share with someone who didn't. I've been in this situation more than once and it isn't fun, especially when you get double lucky and the person who is "snuggling" with you on the bus perhaps didn't hit every crevice when they showered last. :ohwell:

If the person who needs more than one seat uses the other half of a seat next to them, that's basically one seat that could be occupied by another passenger. Since it can't be used, the bus company (assuming the bus is otherwise full) loses money from that seat not being sold. Additionally, that's someone who, because that seat can't be used, may now be getting to work later.

You don't correct the situation with coddling and catering to the person; you fix the problem. I don't care how you paint it -- you are essentially justifying a decision to remain overweight by saying society needs to adapt and make bigger seats. :crazy: that's not the answer ... the answer is start exercising and monitoring your food intake or pay for the extra seat since I can't use it.

Nanny Pam

OK...
smileface99.gif

all together, now, 1..2..3..

Warron

Originally posted by crabcake
I don't care how you paint it -- you are essentially justifying a decision to remain overweight by saying society needs to adapt and make bigger seats. :crazy: that's not the answer

Actually, that is the answer.

First, overweight is just some arbitrary definition assigned by you and other idealists to make yourself feel better then others. The only issue relevant to a persons weight is whether they themselves accept it and can live their lives as they wish at that weight.

Second, if the companies that built the buses and planes actually designed the seating to represent a realistic cross section of society instead of using your idealistic arbitrary definition of a person, then this problem would not exist. Larger then average people have always existed in this country in significant amounts. Yet bus/plane companies that have been around for a half century or more make no attempt to provide for them. Their only motivation is profit. Squeeze as many people into the available space as possible.

A primary example is the Penn State football stadium. When they wanted to add a few thousand more seats to the stadium, did they build a new section or remodel the stadium? No, they cut 2 inches off the seat width of every bench seat in the stadium. Even with the information that people are not getting any smaller, their only motivation was profit. Now you end up with people standing in the isles because they constantly get pushed off the end of the bench.

As long as this is the philosophy used by companies when building/designing seating for mass transportation, you can expect to get crowded. I can assure you that people are not going to start getting smaller just because you want it.

Last edited:

crabcake

Why do the seats need to be bigger? Why do you want to cut in on the profits of the bus/plane builders? Are you telling me that it's healthy to be overweight? In my opinion, it's a choice to remain overweight (excl. legitimate medical problems). So if you are choosing to remain that way, you shouldn't complain when you have to cough up the extra fare for the bus/plane ticket.

Clothing for larger sizes sometimes costs more, but I don't hear any complaints about shelling out the extra bucks there. It costs more to make things bigger, period. Why should I have to offset that cost when it's not me who has the problem? :confused:

Yeah, I know. The beotch I sit next to on the 909 in the afternoon has the widest azz!

Last edited:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
What is even worse is when a wide load gets on the 909 reeking of "perfume" and plops down next to me.

crabcake

Originally posted by huntr1
Yeah, I know. The beotch I sit next to on the 909 in the afternoon has the widest azz!

it's all about the "ham" baby :kiss:

Originally posted by jlabsher
What is even worse is when a wide load gets on the 909 reeking of "perfume" and plops down next to me.

:blushing: Sorry, I just wanted to smell nice for Huntr. :ohwell:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I like big butts and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waste
And a round thing in your face
You get sprung
Wanna pull up front
Cuz you notice that butt was stuffed
Deep in the jeans she's wearing
I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
Oh, baby I wanna get with ya
And take your picture
My homeboys tried to warn me
But with that butt you got
Me so horny
Ooh, rub all of that smooth skin
You say you wanna get in my Benz
Well use me, use me cuz you ain't that average groupy

I've seen them dancin'
The hell with romancin'
She sweat, wet, got it goin' like a turbo 'Vette

I'm tired of magazines
saying flat butt's the only thing
Take the average black man and ask him that
She gotta pack much back, so

Fellas (yeah), fellas (yeah)
Has your girlfriend got the butt (hell yeah)
Well shake it, shake it, shake it, shake it, shake that healthy butt
Baby got back

I like'em round and big
And when I'm throwin' a gig
I just can't help myself
I'm actin like an animal
Now here's my scandal

I wanna get you home
And ugh, double ugh, ugh
I ain't talkin' bout Playboy
Cuz silicone parts were made for toys
I wannem real thick and juicy
So find that juicy double
Mixalot's in trouble
Beggin' for a piece of that bubble
So I'm lookin' at rock videos
Watchin' these bimbos walkin' like hoes
You can have them bimbos
I'll keep my women like Flo Jo
A word to the thick soul sistas
I wanna get with ya
I won't cus or hit ya
But I gotta be straight when I say I wanna ####
Til the break of dawn
Baby, I got it goin on
A lot of pimps won't like this song
Cuz them punks like to hit it and quit it
But I'd rather stay and play
Cuz I'm long and I'm strong
And I'm down to get the friction on

So ladies (yeah), ladies (yeah)
If you wanna role in my Mercedes (yeah)
Then turn around
Stick it out
Even white boys got to shout
Baby got back

Yeah baby
When it comes to females
Cosmo and got nothin to do with my selection
36-24-36
Only if she's 5'3"

So your girlfriend rolls a Honda
Playin' workout tapes by Fonda
But Fonda ain't got a motor in the back of her Honda
My anaconda don't want none unless you've got buns hon
You can do side bends or sit-ups, but please don't lose that butt
Some brothers wanna play that hard role
and tell you that the butt need to go
So they toss it and leave it
And I pull up quick to retrieve it
So Cosmo says you're fat
Well I ain't down with that
Cuz your waste is small and your curves are kickin'
And I'm thinkin' bout stickin'
To the beanpole dames in the magazines
You ain't it Miss Thang
Give me a sista I can't resist her
Red beans and rice didn't miss her
Some knucklehead tried to dis
Cuz his girls were on my list
He had game but he chose to hit 'em
And pulled up quick to get with 'em
So ladies if the butt is round
And you wanna triple X throw down
Dial 1-900-mixalot and kick them nasty thoughts
Baby got back

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The answer is so...

...obvious: More tax cuts.

Tax cuts so I can fly first class. I've done that twice; ROOMY (and you get a drink while the 'little' people are still boarding!)

Tax cuts so I can have a luxury box at the stadium.

Tax cuts so I can be chauferred (sp) to my place of employ.

Better yet, tax cuts so I can afford to work closer to home and not have to ride the bus.

Tax cuts, damnit!

crabcake

:lmao: at Larry.

Tell ya what ... how 'bout those of you who are arguing that (if you are the person who needs the extra room), ask your employers for an extra kick-in to your transit subsidy for bus tickets, and when you go on travel for your employers, tell them to buy you the extra seat on the plane. See what they say ... :bubble: But I don't think I should have to pay for it ... not in "discomfort" and certainly not in a higher all-around price hike to buy bigger seats that I don't really think I need.

I see this as another one of those democrat/warm fuzzy/someone should pay my way-type platform issues. :duh:

F

Flo

Very annoying I agree! I usually sit in the very last seat #1 to get some rest, and be somewhat comfortable, and #2, the other seating is mostly cramped; no leg room. The only time the back seat gets cramped, is when three people are crammed into what is intended for 2-1/2 people. I have a problem with the folks that enjoy sitting next to you and jabbing you in the bust and sides with their elbows. I have actually laid so tight up against the window, and they keep nudging. One day a lady and I were sitting on the back seat, when we got down to the Department of Transportation. Of course the bus was filling up fast, and the last one to get on was this heavy woman, who squeezed herself, and I mean squeezed in between us. Another thing that really irritates me is why they try to squeeze (3) people in that back seat. The only reason I don't like to sit in the other seats is due to no leg room in between the other seats, as I have arthritis in my back and legs. A two hour trip or more is very uncomfortable.

Another complaint (on a roll now), :wink: is the lower step on most of the buses. Why do most bus drivers not want to lower the bottom step?," or when it is a "kneeling bus,'' I questioned one bus driver the other morning about it being a kneeling bus, and why he wasn't using it as such, as he can obviously see my difficulty in getting on and off the bus, as I have to lay my packages/purse down, and climb up, somedays with definite pain. His answer was that it was too much of a problem for everyone else! So, why did Keller spend all that money on kneeling buses, when they don't want to use them!!

I have fell twice on the bus; the second time I split my head open, and an ambulance was called. Luckily, it was only 2 or 3 stitches in my head!