Dogs are Smart

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Dogs May Be More Intelligent Than People May Think

LONDON (Reuters) - Dogs are probably much cleverer than most people think, according to a new study.

Scientists are convinced that dogs can count and researchers at the University of California Davis say they try to convey different messages through the pitch and pace of their barks.

"Animal behaviorists used to think their bark was simply a way of getting attention. Now a new study suggests that individual dogs have specific barks with a range of meanings," New Scientist magazine said on Wednesday.

Dogs usually use high-pitched single barks when they are separated from their owners and a lower, harsher superbark when strangers approach or the doorbell rings, according to Sophia Yin, an animal behaviorist at the university.

Playful woofs are high-pitched and unevenly spaced. Dogs also know when they are being short-changed on treats because they have a basic mathematical ability which enables them to tell when one pile of objects is bigger than another.

"But to count, an animal has to recognize that each object in a set corresponds to a single number and that the last number in a sequence represents the total number of objects," New Scientist added.

Robert Young of Brazil's Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais in Belo Horizonte, tested the theory on 11 mongrels using dog treats. The canines were shown treats and then a screen was lowered and the goodies were left as they were or some were added or taken away. If a treat was added or taken away the dogs looked at the treats much longer than they did when the goodies were not disturbed, presumably because they had done their sums and the numbers did not meet their expectations.

"Dogs are descended from wolves, which not only have a large neocortex -- the brain's center of reasoning -- but live in large social groups," the magazine said.

Young believes the mathematical ability could have been used to work out how many allies and enemies they had in a pack.
~~~~~~~

Every dog owner knows about the different barks. Not sure about the counting thing. I think if I tried to put 2 piles of cookies out my dog would not waste time counting them before he woofed them down. Maybe I'll try it later with different amounts and see which one he goes to first. I wonder how much they'll pay for my study.:wink:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Sharon
Every dog owner knows about the different barks. Not sure about the counting thing. I think if I tried to put 2 piles of cookies out my dog would not waste time counting them before he woofed them down. Maybe I'll try it later with different amounts and see which one he goes to first. I wonder how much they'll pay for my study.:wink:

I know my dog, a Chow Chow, knows when I short him on his treats and usually gets a minor attitude when shorted. Maybe he can count!!!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
That's funny! My dog keeps coming back for more until he realizes I'm getting irritated and I tell him, "That's all, go lie down."

One day I didn't have to tell him. I wasn't paying him any attention --he went to the other side of the room and lay down...a few moments later he said "Woof". I glanced at him and went back to what I was doing, so he "Woofed" again. I realized he was telling me --that he was lying down and it was time to give up the goodies. :lol:

watercolor

yeah yeah
Well I know my dog is hecka smart. I swear that she can understand english. You can say anything you want to her, something she does not even recognize the sound of and she knows exactly what you are talking about.
Its awesome. So you can not tell me that dogs are not smart. :cheesy:

Also, Ken-
My black lab (mentioned above) she gets major, not minor, attitudes, if you leave her home all day when you told her you would be right back. LOL

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by Sharon
That's funny! My dog keeps coming back for more until he realizes I'm getting irritated and I tell him, "That's all, go lie down."

One day I didn't have to tell him. I wasn't paying him any attention --he went to the other side of the room and lay down...a few moments later he said "Woof". I glanced at him and went back to what I was doing, so he "Woofed" again. I realized he was telling me --that he was lying down and it was time to give up the goodies. :lol:

:clap: how cute!! I know. McBeth...but we call her mickey (my dog of course) does that with singing. You start singing, and she will bark along, or even howl along. Now when my mom does, she howls. We tease my mom that Mickey is howling in agony. *evil grin* I know..Im rude.....

S

ShellyCW

Smart, eh? On more than one occassion my puppy has eaten her own poo. :barf:
At least she's cute.

K

Kizzy

Smart, eh? On more than one occassion my puppy has eaten her own poo.

:lmao:

That was funny! My new puppy does that too! I wonder why YUCK :barf: