Human Organ Blackmarket

SxyPrincess

Did anyone catch 48 hours last nite? They had a special on human organs being sold, bought and transplanted in Lima, Peru. In the U.S., this sort of thing is illegal and would certainly cost you some jail time. It is also, illegal in Peru to buy/sell human organs however, the transplant operation is legal.

Read the article, attached and tell me what you think. IMO I don't think there is anything wrong with this. I mean, you have a sick individual that needs a kidney--instead of having your name on a waiting list for probably several years, why not buy it from someone who is still living and willing to give their kidney to you, for a fee of course? They could possibly elimiate their debts, buy a house, send the kid(s) to college...etc. and you get your life back. I can't think of a downside to that.

So..what are your thouhts?
033102talk_1_prv.gif

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/02/11/48hours/main328962.shtml

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Ahhh, I see your point of view sxy. The only problem I have with it is the poor and uneducated seem to be at risk, and possibley not knowing what health issues they may face and probably not getting top dollar and definitely getting taken advantage of. Therefore I feel that these illiterate countries are being abused. It is just like when China was busted doing this to their prisoners. Jeez, in China you can go to jail for praying or speaking out against things that are wrong and then once you are in jail they cut you open and take your body parts and sell em and you have no rights. Uh-uh. I don't like this idea and I don't like the fact that wealthy sick Americans could be contributing to this. If it was here in America, or England or Canada or another developed nation and complete medical testing was run and people were educated about the pros and cons of it and then wanted to sell their body part, fine. However I do like like the more altruistic method - cause otherwise how else will these poor families get the organs they need?