Dairy Cow Question

PackersFan

I have a 14 month old Dairy Heifer this is my first go around with cows... I know this is a silly question but was wondering what would happen if I did not breed her. Is that bad for her health?

Robin

I have a 14 month old Dairy Heifer this is my first go around with cows... I know this is a silly question but was wondering what would happen if I did not breed her. Is that bad for her health?

What was your purpose for getting her?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'm thinking if you don't 'breed' her she'll never be a diary cow..

And if you want to keep her a dairy cow, she has to be 'freshened' now and then to keep her producing milk..

At least that's the little bit of knowledge I gained from Stonyfield Yogurt..

Robin

And if you want to keep her a dairy cow, she has to be 'freshened' now and then to keep her producing milk..

:killingme that is such a nice way of saying it.

I believe a dairy cow has to be bred to bring on the milk.

mingiz

Horse Poor
The cow

Dairy heifers are of great value to their breeders, as they will become the next generation of dairy cows. As a cow cannot produce milk until after calving (giving birth), most farmers will begin breeding heifers as soon as they are fit, at about fourteen months of age for Holsteins. A cow's gestation period is about nine months (283 days long), so most heifers give birth and become cows at about two years of age.

A cow will produce large amounts of milk over its lifetime. Certain breeds produce more milk than others; however, different breeds produce within a range of around 4,000 to over 10,000 kg of milk per annum. The average for dairy cows in the US in 2005 was 8,800 kg (19,576 pounds).

Production levels peak at around 40 to 60 days after calving. The cow is then bred. Production declines steadily afterwards, until, at about 305 days after calving, the cow is 'dried off', and milking ceases. About sixty days later, one year after the birth of her previous calf, a cow will calve again. High production cows are more difficult to breed at a one year interval. Many farms take the view that 13 or even 14 month cycles are more appropriate for this type of cow.

Dairy cows will continue to be productive members of the herd for many lactations. 10 or more lactations are not uncommon. The chances of problems arising which may lead to a cow being culled are however, high; the average herd life of US Holsteins is today fewer than 3 lactations. This is unfortunate as it requires more expensive herd replacements to be reared or purchased. Over 90% of all cows are culled for 4 main reasons:

more at Dairy cattle: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article

itsbob

I bowl overhand
:killingme itsbob should stay with 2 wheels not 4 hooves:killingme:killingme

What did I say that was wrong??

It's the terminology that StonyField used on their tour AND on their website..

I guess I could have used forum lingo..

She has to be subjected to the meathammer regularly.. so her bodacious triple Z produces titnectar..

A good AzzyCow can take two or three meathammers at a time, but it only takes one GumBull's pimpjuice to keep her pumping out the boobjuice, making her more productive but no more pretty.

Cowgirl

:lol:

Bob, the term freshening means calving, not breeding.

To the OP, it's not bad for her if you don't breed her now. :shrug: She'll be just fine if she's never bred.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
:lol:

Bob, the term freshening means calving, not breeding.

To the OP, it's not bad for her if you don't breed her now. :shrug: She'll be just fine if she's never bred.

So she can't freshen without takin the meathammer once or twice can she?

mingiz

Horse Poor
What did I say that was wrong??

It's the terminology that StonyField used on their tour AND on their website..

I guess I could have used forum lingo..

She has to be subjected to the meathammer regularly.. so her bodacious triple Z produces titnectar..

A good AzzyCow can take two or three meathammers at a time, but it only takes one GumBull's pimpjuice to keep her pumping out the boobjuice, making her more productive but no more pretty.

:killingme:killingme:killingme

L

Localboy

It depends on your heifer. Alot of dairy heifers will not breed. The only way to know for sure is to expose them to a bull or have them vet checked. A 14 month old dairy heifer that will breed is expensive. She would of cost you about $1,200-1,500 dollars. If you bought her from a dairy, farmer, or dealer, and you didnt pay that much chances are she won't breed. Dairy cows must breed and have 4 good quarters. Knowing if all four quarters are good is hard. You can look at them and make a good educated guess, but you never know for sure until she starts producing milk. If they don't they are only worth meat money. Most dairy cows end up as meat cows when they stop breeding or a quarter goes bad. Thats the Grade A beef you get at the store. If you want to sell her or trade her for a beef type cow just let me know.

Cowgirl

It depends on your heifer. Alot of dairy heifers will not breed. The only way to know for sure is to expose them to a bull or have them vet checked. A 14 month old dairy heifer that will breed is expensive. She would of cost you about $1,200-1,500 dollars. If you bought her from a dairy, farmer, or dealer, and you didnt pay that much chances are she won't breed.

What are you talking about?

Gotta have something to put in the diary.:shrug:

L

Localboy

What are you talking about?

Sorry I guess I got off topic. I am known to do that. It will not hurt her, if she is not breed. However, she will never be a dairy cow. She will only be a cow after she has a calf. On my other post, I was just giving some insight to what she is worth. I was also advising that not all dairy heifers breed, and the ones that don't are not worth much money.

Sorry I guess I got off topic. I am known to do that. It will not hurt her, if she is not breed. However, she will never be a dairy cow. She will only be a cow after she has a calf. On my other post, I was just giving some insight to what she is worth. I was also advising that not all dairy heifers breed, and the ones that don't are not worth much money.

Why don't they?