Software Recommendation

alex

I have just switched from PC to MAC ( and love it). However, I used to use MS Publisher any suggestions on similar programs for MACs? Pagemaker & Quark are either too $$$ or overkill for my uses.

Thanks.

joedancer

bookman
I have used macs for years and currently a G4 and G3 running os 10.2.8. What kind of mac do you have and what exactly are you trying to do?
Joe

Originally posted by alex
I have just switched from PC to MAC ( and love it). However, I used to use MS Publisher any suggestions on similar programs for MACs? Pagemaker & Quark are either too $$$ or overkill for my uses.

Thanks.

alex

As an early Xmas gift hubby bought me a powerbook g4. I need to create flyers, labels, newsletters, etc. But I don't need them to go to a professional printer in digital format, mostly for crafts and volunteer groups we belong too.

Because we still have a working PC at home with office xp he purchased office .x for the powerbook. But none of the office for mac packages offer a desktop publishing program and I can't see spending $500+ for pagemaker or quark.

In my research on www.apple.com I found two programs that might work - Desktop Publisher Pro and Creator but having never heard of them I didn't know which one to go with. Both let you download trial versions but they are limited and thus I still don't know if they are worth the money. The one thing I will not buy is Print Shop. Having used in on the PC I find it a total waste of $$.

mainman

Set Trippin
As an early Xmas gift hubby bought me a powerbook g4. I need to create flyers, labels, newsletters, etc. But I don't need them to go to a professional printer in digital format, mostly for crafts and volunteer groups we belong too.

Because we still have a working PC at home with office xp he purchased office .x for the powerbook. But none of the office for mac packages offer a desktop publishing program and I can't see spending $500+ for pagemaker or quark.

In my research on www.apple.com I found two programs that might work - Desktop Publisher Pro and Creator but having never heard of them I didn't know which one to go with. Both let you download trial versions but they are limited and thus I still don't know if they are worth the money. The one thing I will not buy is Print Shop. Having used in on the PC I find it a total waste of $$.
Just a suggestion, have you considered seeking out a Mac forum? I am willing to bet, you would have your answer rather rapidly...:smile: Good Luck!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Not sure if it has everything you are looking for but I do know it has a MAC version, it's free, and called OpenOffice. Otter turned us on to it in an earlier post and I like it just as well as the MSOffice products. http://www.openoffice.org/product/

Ken King

PREMO Member
Ken - thanks for the link. It seems to be just what I need. I will let you know how it goes.
You're welcome, but Otter deserves the thanks.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Originally posted by Ken King
You're welcome, but Otter deserves the thanks.

Not really, I had forgotten about it..big gingko shortage in calvert county.:lmao: I just throw stuff out here and rely on someone else to remember it. Hope it works for ya, Alex

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by otter
Not really, I had forgotten about it..big gingko shortage in calvert county.:lmao: I just throw stuff out here and rely on someone else to remember it. Hope it works for ya, Alex
I knew that, I've seen your posting in action. :killingme But you still deserve the credit and it wasn't even a duplicate post.

alex

Ken & Otter,

The link is great and it looks nice in Windows but it has not been fully developed for Mac OS .x yet. So, since I am a newbie to macs and don't want to trash my machine I will have to wait.

Vicos - thanks for that info I have been there and to downloads.com but they don't really have what I am looking for.

C

Chaz214

You can take a look at AppleWorks at http://www.apple.com/appleworks/

From what I have read, it is a pretty decent application that offers most of what Microsoft Office does for less than quarter of the price. It lists for $79.00 at the Apple Store, but you may find it cheaper on the web.

For the uses that you are envisioning, it should fit the bill perfectly. And, since the software is developed by Apple, it should be fairly easy for a Mac newbie to learn it. You can see examples of newsletters and such on the webpage

I also have a PowerBook G4 and I love it. Roaming the house wirelessly is a blast! Now, if only someone would run high speen Internet access to my neighborhood I would be set.

Good luck!

alex

Thanks for the tip on Appleworks. I think I am going to go with that one. I love by powerbook G4 so much that as the other 2 pcs in my house die I intend to replace them with Apple products as well.