Orphaned Bunnies! Help!

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
I feel absolutely horrible because I had no idea my rabbit was pregnant. Yes, she was living with an unneutered male for some time, but it seemed she always dodged his advances, and when she became really irritated about a month and a half ago, I seperated them. Well, now I know why she got mad!
She just gave birth to four wiggly babies, then died. Luckily, she did complete the process with licking them clean and everything. I was hoping that someone else's rabbit out there had bunnies as well. From what I've read, having them "adopted" by another mother bunny is the best way to go. I don't want to lose the babies, too! If anyone has any advice, or knows someone who might be willing to let my bunnies room with theirs, please respond!

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
Here we go.

Thanks for all the info guys! So far, they're 29 hours old and as wiggly as ever. They're a lot stronger than they look! Any tips for holding them while I'm feeding so I won't hurt them? Also, I would appreciate some ideas on how to heat the milk and know when it's a good temperature. I tried the wrist-test, but I couldn't feel anything. Thanks again!

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
And appyday... now that you say that, I do remember reading somewhere about ovulation and gestation. Just wish I had paid more attention!

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by appyday
I have some nice 3lb rabbits in the freezer ready to cook if someone wants some...............UMMMMMMM
Do they have tattoo's?

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
How come whenever I make a post about rabbits, everyone else talks about eating 'em? :rolleyes: :biggrin:

appyday-
I have them in the best nest I could make. It's a shoebox with a soft towel, alfalfa hay, their mom's hair, and some cotton balls they stole from me. The box it half on a heating pad, so if they get cold, they can crawl to that side, but they mostly stay piled together in one corner. This morning I was able to get each of them to drink about a eye dropper full of the kitten formula. I'm still looking for a syringe. I hope it's a good sign that they're pooping everywhere!

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
Okay, I've replaced their nest with all alfalfa and hair (I had to trim some from their dad- It's about time he pitched in child support). Thanks for the info about the cottonballs. I had a feeling they probably weren't the best idea. They ate well this morning and are still as active as can be expected at the moment.

Any idea when I'll know if they're going to make it? Seeing as they only started with a 10% chance... I hope that it's little higher now.

lol... what's it like having pigs for pets?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by renegadeslave
Any idea when I'll know if they're going to make it? Seeing as they only started with a 10% chance... I hope that it's little higher now.

Did you read any of the links I posted? They had very good information. Also, you should not have them directly on a heating pad, the bunnies can become dehydrated. A hot water bottle is best as it is moist heat.

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
Yes, I read them. Thanks for posting them! I have the bunnies only half on the heating pad so they can crawl to whichever temperature suits them best. I thought it said that a hot water bottle was only for if they were found scattered around the cage. Guess I'll have to look them over again.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by renegadeslave
Yes, I read them. Thanks for posting them! I have the bunnies only half on the heating pad so they can crawl to whichever temperature suits them best. I thought it said that a hot water bottle was only for if they were found scattered around the cage. Guess I'll have to look them over again.

That meant warming them period. Of all the orphans I've deal with, granted not bunnies, vets recommended NOT using a heating pad b/c of the dehydration issue. Baby bunnies need to be kept around 85 degrees. Good luck. Raising orphans is very rewarding.

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
Yep, I made them a nice little nest with as much hair and hay as I could. They are inside, but it is rather cold in my room- it only gets up to about 66 degrees. They seem to enjoy tunnling through the alfalfa to the point where I have to search for them at feeding time.
The only thing I'm worried about at the moment is that I feed them 1 - 2 cc's each feeding but they still look fairly skinny. They are active, hairy, and they're not squeaking in hunger. They're also wrinkley- is that normal?
Sure, if you would check them out, I would appreciate it. This Friday is probably the best time for me, but I guess it'll depend on the weather.

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
Hey guys,
I regret to inform you that the babies did not make it. After awhile, they stopped eating. Thanks so much for helping me try, though. And, if anyone's interested in an unneutered velveteen white and grey rabbit, let me know.