trailer tags-need advice

jasonandjen

im getting my first trailer soon, and need some advice about tags. do all trailers require tags or are certain sizes exempt? also is it possible to register the tags in an easier state than md? :whistle: i heard of people titling in va or maine to get permanent tags. i dont want to have to renew trailer tags for something i'll use twice a year, and need to insure it too.
jason

All road towable trailers need tags and inspections.
Some states yes, some no. Depends on whether the state allows out-of-state drivers licenses to be used at registration time. You also have to have a valid mailing address in that state. I had an MD license but NY allowed me to keep a trailer registered using my parent's address.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
This is MD so by default, you'll most likely need tags so MD can tax you! :whistle:

On a side note, are you buying the trailer in MD? If so ask the owner or dealer.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
im getting my first trailer soon, and need some advice about tags. do all trailers require tags or are certain sizes exempt? also is it possible to register the tags in an easier state than md? :whistle: i heard of people titling in va or maine to get permanent tags. i dont want to have to renew trailer tags for something i'll use twice a year, and need to insure it too.
jason

What size trailer do you need?

I've got one already registered in MD.

jasonandjen

btw, small trailers don't require insurance. It's covered by the towing vehicle.

do you know what is the largest trailer i can get without having insurance?

itsbob, i'd be interested if you're saying you have one for sale. anything from 4x8 to 6by16 would be fine. pm or email me through the forums.

bcp

In My Opinion
do you know what is the largest trailer i can get without having insurance?

itsbob, i'd be interested if you're saying you have one for sale. anything from 4x8 to 6by16 would be fine. pm or email me through the forums.
as long as it is connected to the tow vehicle it does not need insurance regardless of the size. The only insurance I would put on it is for the value of the trailer itself.

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
Maryland: Maryland Vehicle Title and Registration Information

Trailers - Office Trailers and Mobile Homes

Office trailers and mobile homes in excess of 35 feet are not subject to the inspection, titling, or registration laws of Maryland, however, they may be titled. This Administration does not collect excise tax when issuing a title, however, before the vehicle can be titled, the State Retail Sales Tax must be paid, a receipt obtained and submitted with the Application for Title and other required documents. The State Sales Tax Division is located in the State Office Building, 301 West Preston Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201.

Boat, Camping, Tent or Travel Trailers

All trailers are subject to the same Motor Vehicle Laws as passenger vehicles (class A). They must be titled and if registration is desired, they must be safety inspected (if used vehicle).

Homemade Trailers

Homemade trailers may be titled and registered by submitting an Application for Title to the Administration with two photographs of the vehicle taken from side and rear angles. If the application is approved, an assigned VIN (serial plate) is issued. It must be affixed to the vehicle and becomes the identification number used in all future transactions.

Freight & Semi Freight Trailers

Freight and semi-freight trailers are subject to the same motor vehicle laws as passenger vehicles. They must be titled and if registration is desired, they must be safety inspected (if used vehicle). In addition freight and semi-freight trailers must provide proof of Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance in the minimum amount required by law or as amended. All other trailers are covered by the insurance of the towing vehicle. If a commercial (freight) trailer is converted to an office trailer and the owner wishes to title the vehicle, State Retail Sales Tax must be paid and the sales tax receipt must accompany the Application for Title.
IMPORTANT - The Certificate of Registration should always be carried in the vehicle or on the person operating the vehicle.

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
I just bought a used horse trailer and registerd it in Maine. I didn't have to get it inspected or pay Maryland tax which saved me almost $1,000. It cost me about $100 or so to have it registered for six years. You can go for more, I was just broke after buying the trailer so went for less years. It says semi permananat on my tag.

direxpgw

tags

I just bought a used horse trailer and registerd it in Maine. I didn't have to get it inspected or pay Maryland tax which saved me almost $1,000. It cost me about $100 or so to have it registered for six years. You can go for more, I was just broke after buying the trailer so went for less years. It says semi permananat on my tag.

MD has been quietly cracking down on out of state tags (particularly Maine with trailers). If you get pulled over and show a MD license, you may get forced into reregistering here in MD.

On a side note, any trailer 10000# GVWR or higher needs insurance. (GVWR is weight of trailer and load, generally stamped on trailer somewhere) Lesser weights (most small boat, lawn service, utility, etc) are default insured by vehicle pulling trailer.

All trailers (unless brand new) require MD safety inspection and are now registered for 2 year blocks like passenger cars.

dan0623_2000

If you are not active duty military and you live in Maryland and use Maryland roads, then register it in Maryland.

Robin

If you are not active duty military and you live in Maryland and use Maryland roads, then register it in Maryland.

I just went through a transaction to get tags in Maine for our trailer. We will be transferring all our trailers to Maine. It is not Illegal.

When I went to MVA to turn the Maryland tags in the Clerk asked what we did with the trailer and I told her we tagged it in Maine. The clerk gave me a reciept marked transfer of title. The new title has our Maryland address. The new tags were $260 for 12 years verses yrly rate close to this price.

awpitt

Main Streeter
MD has been quietly cracking down on out of state tags (particularly Maine with trailers). If you get pulled over and show a MD license, you may get forced into reregistering here in MD.

On a side note, any trailer 10000# GVWR or higher needs insurance. (GVWR is weight of trailer and load, generally stamped on trailer somewhere) Lesser weights (most small boat, lawn service, utility, etc) are default insured by vehicle pulling trailer.

All trailers (unless brand new) require MD safety inspection and are now registered for 2 year blocks like passenger cars.

Also, if the trailer + load are more than 3000lbs, you need to have a brake controller in your vehicle.

Nucklesack

Until Maryland changes the law, there is nothing illegal with titling and tagging it in another state.

direxpgw

tags

I just went through a transaction to get tags in Maine for our trailer. We will be transferring all our trailers to Maine. It is not Illegal.

When I went to MVA to turn the Maryland tags in the Clerk asked what we did with the trailer and I told her we tagged it in Maine. The clerk gave me a reciept marked transfer of title. The new title has our Maryland address. The new tags were $260 for 12 years verses yrly rate close to this price.

Hate to burst your bubble but it is illegal. Just like most things, it is rarely enforced, particularly in a heavy military area. If you are a resident and are not active military, you are supposed to register in MD. A resident is effectively defined by a MD drivers lic. and having been in state > 60 days. Now, noone knows how long youve been here until you get your MD DL.

Dont trust the clerk at MVA to tell you anything correct. Hate to say it, but youd probably get better advice from a jar of peanut butter.

Just letting you know, police are aware of the Maine tag issue and you can bet the long arm of the MD taxing authority will def want your $$$$, particularly in a recession, so beware.

Nucklesack

Hate to burst your bubble but it is illegal. Just like most things, it is rarely enforced, particularly in a heavy military area. If you are a resident and are not active military, you are supposed to register in MD. A resident is effectively defined by a MD drivers lic. and having been in state > 60 days. Now, noone knows how long youve been here until you get your MD DL.

Dont trust the clerk at MVA to tell you anything correct. Hate to say it, but youd probably get better advice from a jar of peanut butter.

Just letting you know, police are aware of the Maine tag issue and you can bet the long arm of the MD taxing authority will def want your $$$$, particularly in a recession, so beware.

:killingme

I guess the DOT Police (Bridge), and Weigh Station officers who have inspected my trailers, with Maine tags, dont know much either?

And if you believe a DOT officer wouldnt be looking for a violation on a commercial vehicle, i have a bridge to sell you.

It is legal, Maryland's only requirement is that you have to have it Registered and Titled (notice it doesnt state where?). Trailers are not the same as Vehicles, the Maryland Law for them is not the same.