Attention PG County Pitbull owners & lovers...

We are trying to repeal the Pitbull Ban in PG Co., MD and we need you to attend this meeting. 5000 Pitbulls have been killed in 5 years. Please help us help your dogs. Kara~

Friends, this letter is to update you on the "Appeal to Repeal" the
breed ban in Prince George's County.

Our next meeting is scheduled for Saturday, August 24, 2002, 11:00am,
at Fidos for Freedom, 1200 Old Sandy Spring Road, Laurel. I-95 to
exit 33 (Md. Rt. 198 east to Laurel). Left at Van Duren, right onto
Old Sandy Spring Road. You'll see "Pi's Deli". Bear right, Fidos is
the back right side of the building.

**We will be inviting candidates for county council and county
executive to this meeting.**
**We need a great turn out so please plan to attend and bring friends!

Bring the petitions that you have had signed, and we will officially
tally them all on the "APPEAL TO REPEAL" signature counter!!

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I tend to feel that dogs are mean because their owners train them to be that way. Of course, pit bulls and rottweilers may be easier to train to be mean than, say, golden retrievers or Labs. But it's still the owner's fault.

I don't live in PG County, but I'd like to see pit bull bans replaced with tough penalties for animal cruelty. I want to see the law come down hard on the people who run dog fights.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I don't know why some owners train their dogs to be mean. Maybe they're afraid of crime.

I've also owned Rotties and they can be a handful. They definitely need to know who is boss and if a person doesn't take on that roll then they do.

I would love to see the Pitbull ban replaced with tough penalties also. Hopefully we will be able to repeal this ban. My dog is counting on it.

Crabby Old Lady

Knit picking
We had Rotties before and when they get older they seem to turn on you, they only listen to the dominant owner (the male voice) and they do tend to get mean.

I am sorry I have to disagree with that statement totally. Our Rottie is 10 and since it has been a puppy it was taught that all members in our family was alpha. Although he does tend to listen to me the best and ingnores my husband when he gets hard headed. He had taken the maternal role for all new animals we have introduced to the household. I trust him more with the grandkids than I do our Bassett or Bloodhound. All older dogs can become crabby, its because of aches and pains not because they have finally decided to eat you rather than love you. I do agree it's all on how they were raised.
Even though he has been the best dog we have ever owned, I will not get another. Why? Because of peoples pre-conceived notion of the big rottie killers. Because when we lived in town I spent more energy protecting him from the dogs that were not on a leash and allowed to run free. All it would have taken to loose him forever would have been him to protect me from the dogs chasing us. All because of the reputation they have earned from not being properly trained.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I disagree with all of you and support a ban on vicious breeds. I don't think it's all in the way you train them, I've seen pitbulls snap for no apparent reason and I am not willing to put the rest of the population at risk because someone wants a bossman of a dog. Have you ever seen a little kid who was mauled by a pitbull or Rottie? Maybe you'd change your mind if you had.

Sorry to stir the embers but I don't believe it's all in how you train them. I think some dogs are inately more aggressive than others. Also some dogs can cause more damage than others. I think they should have chows on the list as well.

I wouldn't exactly call my Pitbull a 'bossman' of a dog , but ok. And I've seen a few large breed dogs that were aggressive towards people, so does that mean we should ban all dogs over 15lbs because they have the potential to do more damage. Pitbulls and some other dogs are naturally more aggressive than other dogs because of what they were originally bred to do. Some Pitbulls are really dog aggressive, but I've yet to know one that is human aggressive. Sorry you had a bad experience with Pitbulls but they really are great dogs, and the only ones I will ever own.