MVA Involving a Loaded School Bus - Great Mills

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
GMR at Prather Drive. Reports are a MVA involving a loaded school bus, one entrapped

0658; Ambulance going on another call went on the scene, driver of a vehicle still may be entrapped inside.
0659; Now reporting the school bus is unoccupied
0659; Fireboard advises the bus driver advised 6 occupants were on the bus
0659; Now 32 reports the students are off the bus, the bus was loaded at the time of the accident
0701; One adult victim entrapped at this time, starting extrication now.
0702; Checking on the avalibility of the helicopter
0703; Starting the helo Category B for the victim entrapped
0703; Chief 3 reports 'major' intrusion on the passenger side of the vehicle
0704; Filling the box assignment, adding Squad 1 and a few additional ambulance companies
0706; Fireboard trying to divert an ambulance to cover a call on Langley Park Rd that went out before the accident.
0707; Now diverting one of the ambulances
0709; Awaiting for someone from Board of Ed
0710; Trooper 7 -- 10 mins, still awaiting notification for transportation
0712; Three ambulances on the scene will suffice, returning the others
0714; Patient is now extricated
0714; Now trying to control a leak from the bus
0716; All children being transported via one ambulance -- 5 children, one mother on the bus.
0717; One patient still being flown
0719; Three children are patients, three are routine checkups. The mother is the school bus driver
0722; Redirecting the medic unit directly to the LZ
0738; Now putting out another accident 235 @ Chancellors Run Road
0743; Trooper 7 in the air, enroute to PG.

Last edited:

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !
GMR at Prather Drive. Reports are a MVA involving a loaded school bus, one entrapped

0658; Ambulance going on another call went on the scene, driver of a vehicle still may be entrapped inside.
0659; Now reporting the school bus is unoccupied
0659; Fireboard advises the bus driver advised 6 occupants were on the bus
0659; Now 32 reports the students are off the bus, the bus was loaded at the time of the accident
0701; One adult victim entrapped at this time, starting extrication now.
0702; Checking on the avalibility of the helicopter
0703; Starting the helo Category B for the victim entrapped
0703; Chief 3 reports 'major' intrusion on the passenger side of the vehicle
0704; Filling the box assignment, adding Squad 1 and a few additional ambulance companies
0706; Fireboard trying to divert an ambulance to cover a call on Langley Park Rd that went out before the accident.
0707; Now diverting one of the ambulances
0709; Awaiting for someone from Board of Ed
0710; Trooper 7 -- 10 mins, still awaiting notification for transportation
0712; Three ambulances on the scene will suffice, returning the others
0714; Patient is now extricated
0714; Now trying to control a leak from the bus
0716; All children being transported via one ambulance -- 5 children, one mother on the bus.
0717; One patient still being flown

Did the bus Tbone the truck or the truck Tboned the bus?

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
The lady who drives my kid's bus lets her kids stand next to her while she drives so they can pull the handle to open the door. I guess she doesn't realize that if she should get into an accident. her kids would go right through the windshield. Parents have warned her and calls to the school are met with :shrug: type answers.

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !
The lady who drives my kid's bus lets her kids stand next to her while she drives so they can pull the handle to open the door. I guess she doesn't realize that if she should get into an accident. her kids would go right through the windshield. Parents have warned her and calls to the school are met with :shrug: type answers.

I can recall the bus driver letting me do this until I closed the door up on the little girl I didn't like. The bus driver took the privilege away from me.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
I'm not sure the school has much to do with the bus drivers. Unfortunately, those jobs are contracted out and the contractor has the say whether they fire the driver or not. The schools probably won't terminate the contract because it will cost them more money. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.
That said, I don't know the particulars of this situation -- so I can't jump to conclusions.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
The truck involved is in BAD shape! It's crumpled from the side and back. Not sure what happened as I came across the accident about 1/2 hour after it happened.

frogman123

what i have never understood is why there are no seatbelts on buses. If there is ever a bad accident with a bus kids are going to be seriously hurt- especially the buses where there are three people sitting to a seat. I just never understood why buses are not required to have seat belts- anyone know?

SoMDGirl42

I thought the bus T-boned the truck?

UPDATE 8:15 A.M. - At approximately 6:57 a.m. on Dec. 16, police and emergency crews responded to 21501 Great Mills Road for an accident involving a school bus and a truck. Witnesses report that the driver of the truck pulled out in front of the school bus causing a T-bone collision.

I hope he didn't pull out in front of it on purpose, so I'm guessing he didn't see the bus.