Southern Maryland Toyota...

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
Beware, beware, beware........avoid Toyota of Southern Maryland like the plague....

My sister-in-law went shopping for a new smaller-sized SUV. Whatever she bought, she wanted 4-wheel drive. She had her eye on a Highlander and the salesman assured her that it was 4-wheel drive. During the wheeling and dealing, she asked at least 3 times to make sure it was 4-wheel drive. Each time, salesman assured her it was. After getting it home, and about a week later, she was checking out all the gadgets inside the SUV. She couldn't find a switch or lever where it would put it in 4-wheel drive. Her roomate looked at it and told her she had a front-wheel drive only - not 4-wheel drive. She went back to the dealer, hunted down the saleman who was talking with one of the managers. He asked her how her SUV was and she told him "I thought you told me it was 4-wheel drive...". He said "it is!" He went back to look at his paperwork, and came out proclaiming that it was NOT 4-wheel drive. All of a sudden, instant amenesia took hold and he couldn't recall my sister-in-law asking about 4-wheel drive. Now, dealer won't take the SUV back and will only offer her a 4-wheel drive version....IF she ponies up another $3000!!!

Buyer beware...avoid Toyota of Southern Maryland! If there's one thing I despise it's lying sales people who cheat people out of money just to close a deal. :cussing:

Voter2002

She's bright, just not car-savvy. They told her it was full time 4-wheel drive (hence no need for a switch or lever). When she looked for a switch (thinking she could switch out of it), her roomate looked under the rear and saw no transfer case (hence, front-wheel drive only).

TinaTina

That is probably one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard. If she was gullible enough to believe the dealer, without so much as getting a second opinion, then she deserves what she got. If a vehicle is 4 wheel drive, then there will more than likely be some type if indicator on the vehicle. For example, my 4-Runner is 4 wheel drive, and says so, right on the outside....4x4! Imagine that! And what about the sticker on the window? That pretty much spells it all out for ya! If someone is that ignorant about vehicles, why on earth would they go shopping for one by themselves?

This reminds me of the blonde joke that talks about the blonde who paid to have the fluid in her headlights changed...:rolleyes:

K

Kizzy

This reminds me of the blonde joke that talks about the blonde who paid to have the fluid in her headlights changed...:rolleyes:

Or the one who went to the shop to get winter air in her tires.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Originally posted by cariblue
...just shaking my head...

Got to agree with CB, How can you spend that kind of money on something and not have a clue as to what you're buying. Did you know that if you buy 4 wheel drive with getting the limited slip differental you still only have 2 wheel drive? Get stuck and one side spins instead of one end :confused:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Voter2002
lying sales people
Sorry about your SIL but she was prime for the picking. Her ignorance is a car salesman's wet dream. I hope she learned a lesson from this deal.

Voter2002

Yeah, I'll admit that she should have looked at the sticker for that kind of information...but why you all slamming her? She already knows the mistake she made (and lesson learned)...if anyone needs slamming it's the salesman for lying and then pleading ignorant when he got caught with his pants down!

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Yeah, I'll admit that she should have looked at the sticker for that kind of information...but why you all slamming her? She already knows the mistake she made (and lesson learned)...if anyone needs slamming it's the salesman for lying and then pleading ignorant when he got caught with his pants down!
So did she get the 4x4 after giving him a BJ?

Elle

Happy Camper!
Didn't she test drive the SUV before buying it? And if she isn't car savvy shouldn't she have asked before purchasing for them to show her the switch? Not that the salesperson should be let off the hook for technically lying to make the sale but shouldn't she as the buyer have done a little investigative work first???

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I bought one in August and the sticker clearly states 4-wheel independent suspention.

TinaTina

I certainly don't agree with the dishonesty of the salesman, but I'm not going to blame him for the ignorance of another person. I thought it was common knowledge that car salesmen aren't to be trusted. They are there to make a sale, and will say pretty much anything to get that done. I just can't fathom that a person would make that big of a purchase without knowing exactly what they were getting and while still having questions about the product.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
He's a car salesman, I thought it was his job to lie :confused:

I wouldn't spend the money it takes to buy a vehicle unless I knew EXACTLY what I was getting. You can't trust people anymore, you need to be as well informed as possible when shopping for/buying anything.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Originally posted by RoseRed
I bought one in August and the sticker clearly states 4-wheel independent suspention.

"4 wheel independent suspension" means the suspension action of one wheel in not affected by the movement of the other wheels. Has nothing to do with the drive system.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
When I was car shopping, I knew exactly what I wanted (didn't end up getting it, but thats a different story). I wanted a 5 speed manual trannie with a V6 engine. The guy at Toyota of Waldorf told me that I couldn't afford it (this is out on the lot while I was browsing mind you, we hadn't discussed figures at all). He then went on to ask if I was sure I wanted a manual trannie because I would find it difficult to talk on my phone or anything else since I had to shift. Then he said that there was no difference between a 4 cyl and a 6 cyl. That was when I walked out. When I went to Toyota of Somd, I had no problem at any time during the buying process. The salesman was fantastic. But the car ended up being a POS as soon as the factory warranty ran out. :ohwell:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Ehesef
When I was car shopping, I knew exactly what I wanted (didn't end up getting it, but thats a different story). I wanted a 5 speed manual trannie with a V6 engine. The guy at Toyota of Waldorf told me that I couldn't afford it (this is out on the lot while I was browsing mind you, we hadn't discussed figures at all). He then went on to ask if I was sure I wanted a manual trannie because I would find it difficult to talk on my phone or anything else since I had to shift. Then he said that there was no difference between a 4 cyl and a 6 cyl. That was when I walked out. When I went to Toyota of Somd, I had no problem at any time during the buying process. The salesman was fantastic. But the car ended up being a POS as soon as the factory warranty ran out. :ohwell:
Thanks for sharing.

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
Originally posted by Ehesef

Well doesnt that suck!!! Try Dodge...runs like a champ!!