Working fire, Calvert Scanner, Thunderbird Dr.

dgates80

Land of the lost
1807 Area Box 311
Address: 296 Thunderbird Dr x Mesa Trail

Units: 3 31 33 37 71 27 23

1808 Marking up FTAC 1
1811 Units coming in front and side gate of CRE
1812 Chief 3a on location side "A" light haze from structure
1813 Truck 3 on location
1814 Engine 31 charging hand line
1816 Engine 71 pulling backup line from Thunderbird & Mesa
1817 Ordering to cut power to whole house
1817 Chief 4 wants Dry-Chem
1819 Getting a crew inside to check for extension using thermal imager.
1819 Checking heating registers.
1820 Fire knocked, maybe
1820 Engine 29 on scene, designated RIT.
1821 Checking on duct work downstairs / crawl space
1823 Utility 23 on scene, tanker 23, 27 enroute
1824 Heating duct inside front door showing "a lot of heat"-- extension? Thermal imager team reports....
1825 Staging remaining inbound units
1827 Engine 31 crew placing fan at entrance to crawl space
1829 Active fire in HVAC unit, unit pulled apart, no extension
1830 Malfunction furnace confirmed, fire controlled, limited extension, holding remaining units.
1832 Ventilation needed, placing fans etc.
1833 Report of pierced Freon line when working the HVAC unit. Pssssssssst.
1837 Commencing overhaul. Dismanteling ductwork
1851 Command terminated, units wrapping up and returning to service

Concluding reporting... dinner awaits.

Last edited:

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
1807 Area Box 311
Address: 296 Thunderbird Dr x Mesa Trail

Units: 3 31 33 37 71 27 23

1808 Marking up FTAC 1
1811 Units coming in front and side gate of CRE
1812 Chief 3a on location side "A" light haze from structure
1813 Truck 3 on location
1814 Engine 31 charging hand line
1816 Engine 71 pulling backup line from Thunderbird & Mesa
1817 Ordering to cut power to whole house
1817 Chief 4 wants Dry-Chem
1819 Getting a crew inside to check for extension using thermal imager.
1819 Checking heating registers.
1820 Fire knocked, maybe
1820 Engine 29 on scene, designated RIT.
1821 Checking on duct work downstairs / crawl space
1823 Utility 23 on scene, tanker 23, 27 enroute
1824 Heating duct inside front door showing "a lot of heat"-- extension? Thermal imager team reports....
1825 Staging remaining inbound units
1827 Engine 31 crew placing fan at entrance to crawl space
1829 Active fire in HVAC unit, unit pulled apart, no extension
1830 Malfunction furnace confirmed, fire controlled, limited extension, holding remaining units.
1832 Ventilation needed, placing fans etc.
1833 Report of pierced Freon line when working the HVAC unit. Pssssssssst.
1837 Commencing overhaul. Dismanteling ductwork
1851 Command terminated, units wrapping up and returning to service

Concluding reporting... dinner awaits.

:killingme What's a dry-chem gonna do? That's why EMS chief's stay on the outside. Good work to the guys and gals over there, HVAC fires are a pain in the nuts.

steve21800

:killingme What's a dry-chem gonna do? That's why EMS chief's stay on the outside. Good work to the guys and gals over there, HVAC fires are a pain in the nuts.

For one...Chief 4 was never on the scene. #2...It was the officer of Eng. 31 (me) that asked for the dry chem because the fire was in the unit itself and if the water couldn't reach to the fire I could use the dry chem to suffocate the fire. Ended up never using the dry chem.

TheOne

For one...Chief 4 was never on the scene. #2...It was the officer of Eng. 31 (me) that asked for the dry chem because the fire was in the unit itself and if the water couldn't reach to the fire I could use the dry chem to suffocate the fire. Ended up never using the dry chem.

wow

dgates80

Land of the lost

Sorry, either I copied it wrong from the scanner or it was a typo.

I was wondering about the Freon leak though -- Freon (or other refrigerant) gas is non-flammable so no fire / explosion problem , if anything would tend to displace oxygen. Possible compressed gas hazard.

I would imagine ya'll are already in SCBA gear (air masks) so no concern about lack of O2 for the crew in the (smoke-filled) crawl space. Any HAZMAT concern though?

steve21800

Sorry, either I copied it wrong from the scanner or it was a typo.

I was wondering about the Freon leak though -- Freon (or other refrigerant) gas is non-flammable so no fire / explosion problem , if anything would tend to displace oxygen. Possible compressed gas hazard.

I would imagine ya'll are already in SCBA gear (air masks) so no concern about lack of O2 for the crew in the (smoke-filled) crawl space. Any HAZMAT concern though?

dgates80...you did a good job, I understand it is hard to hear it all with everything going on. Keep up the good work.

dgates80

Land of the lost
dgates80...you did a good job, I understand it is hard to hear it all with everything going on. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! I keep the scanner on low and, when I am home, I can usually hear a major tone-out or when a dispatch is 'interesting'. I sort of filter out the routine "medical box, earache" calls....

Sheesh, what ever happened to people just going to urgent care on their own, some of the 911 call outs I hear are just silly, and waste the manpower and other resources of the first responders. Frustrates me to hear it, is all.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
Thanks! I keep the scanner on low and, when I am home, I can usually hear a major tone-out or when a dispatch is 'interesting'. I sort of filter out the routine "medical box, earache" calls....

Sheesh, what ever happened to people just going to urgent care on their own, some of the 911 call outs I hear are just silly, and waste the manpower and other resources of the first responders. Frustrates me to hear it, is all.

Same thing I do. Keep my police side up, fire side down until I hear fire dept's getting paged.