Need advice for getting chickens / ducks

RegularGuy

My family would like to get some egg-laying birds. The kids would like to get 2-3 chickens and 2 ducks. They have researched breeds on the internet and would like to get Red Star chickens and Khaki Campbell ducks. Their research suggests that if we buy all the birds as day-old / very young chicks they will grow up getting along just fine. Anyone have experience with this and can confirm it is true? Is there a local source of Red Star chicks and/or Khaki Campbell ducklings? We know we can order them on the internet, but would prefer to pick up local birds. I am also researching coop designs and am starting to narrow it down. I know that the chickens will need a nesting box and a perch. What about for the ducks? Do they just get a nesting box for each? Thanks in advance for any help.

Lilypad

My neighbor recently purchased 12 bantam chickens-fox, raccoons, whatever got all of em except 2. He neglected to think that part through.
He built a chicken house most would love to live in (once the snow clears I'll go over and take a pix); he used 5 gal. plastic buckets for nesting boxes.
Please do yourself and the chickens a huge favor-do a lot of research. Chickens are a hardly lot-even in the dead of winter. Good luck!

chawk

Khaki Campbell

If you are only looking for 4 or five birds, you will not be able to order from Mcmurray Hatchery. They have a minimum bird limit.

I will sell you two Khaki Campbell Females if you would like. If you are not set on Red Star's I can also sell you a couple of Rhode Island Reds. I bought them in November (both the chickens and the ducks). They have grown up together. So they are two months old, with plenty of growing to do without having to deal with the baby chick/duckling problems.

Please listen to the advice about predators. I lost 28 guinea fowl chicks early in the spring to neighborhood dogs and foxes (they were free ranging). I have had better luck with the chickens and ducks.

Other sources for chicks and ducks are the farmers markets. Although I haven't seen Khaki Campbells nor Red Stars at the farmers markets.

If you are dead set on ordering baby chicks and ducks, let me know I have a credit with Mcmurray and may go in, on an order with you in an effort to accommodate your small order.

idiganthro

I know someone down the road from me that keeps Khaki Campbell ducks. If you don't get info anywhere else, let me know and I'll try to ask him for you. Maybe he will sell you some, or tell you what his source is. Was gonna see if I could get a dozen duck eggs from him soon anyway! Also, I got a Golden-Red Sex Link pullet (not a red star, though) from a Mennonite farmer locally- she lays a beautiful, very large dark brown/red egg almost daily, and is a sweetie to boot!

RegularGuy

Thanks!

Thank you for all the helpful replies. We decided that we would really like to get newly-hatched chicks and ducklings. Wife and kids say they are just so cute. We are going to check on a couple of potential local sources. If those don't pan out, then I would like to take chawk up on the offer to go in on a McMurray order. Thank you, chawk, that was a very generous offer. Sounds like mypetchicken.com allows smaller orders as a last resort.

Forgot to include in my orginal post - a friend from work is also looking to get some chickens (we are sharing research). He has his heart set on Barred Plymoth Rocks. Does anyone know a local source for them?

Thanks again!

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Thank you for all the helpful replies. We decided that we would really like to get newly-hatched chicks and ducklings. Wife and kids say they are just so cute. We are going to check on a couple of potential local sources. If those don't pan out, then I would like to take chawk up on the offer to go in on a McMurray order. Thank you, chawk, that was a very generous offer. Sounds like mypetchicken.com allows smaller orders as a last resort.

Forgot to include in my orginal post - a friend from work is also looking to get some chickens (we are sharing research). He has his heart set on Barred Plymoth Rocks. Does anyone know a local source for them?

Thanks again!

There is a fellow that lives off of Pinto in California who has the best birds and several different species,,, can't remember his name but he is terrific and has very healthy animals. Lovely flowers as well......

I have a shipment of mainly pullets - BRs, BCs, BOs, JGs - coming the week after next. I can sell off some of the chicks. Anyone interested? Or shoudl I wait until they are older and sell them right before they are ready to lay?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Wow

WOW - I am glad to hear this as my oldest are around 4 now. The oldest ones are rescues and I've had them for 2 years now - they were about 2 when I got them. I can recognize the eggs of 1 of them easily, so I know she is still laying a couple times a week. The other older ones? Not sure if they are still laying, but they get hugs whether they lay or not :smoochy:. Floppy likes to talk a lot - I get worried if she is too quiet.

Every now and then a chicken will turn up dead for no apparent reason - that blows my mind as I don't like not knowing what caused it. The others will seem fine. Had that happen to one of the rescues last year - she was just dead - laying in the pen as if she went to sleep and didn't wake up.

I have some chickens that are well over 10 yrs old.