goat kids

smurfette

Is there anyone out there in the southern calvert area who has experience with birthing goats? We bought two pygmy goats about 5 months ago and surprise....one is pregnant! She should be delivering very soon as gestation is about 5 months. I would like to be able to call on someone with experience when they come as my equine vet is pretty far away. Please pm me if you would be willing to give me some support. Thanks!

Cowgirl

I'm not nearby (I live on the Eastern Shore), but I could possibly help if you need it (over the phone or by email).

Some things you need to keep an eye out for are her udder and her ligaments near her tail head. Her udder should "bag up" shortly before she kids (could be days before or just before, so this isn't the most reliable). Goats have ligaments running down to their tails, on either side of the spine. You should be able to use your thumb and index finger to "pinch" and feel the ligaments. They are pencil thickness and they'll soften and "disappear" when she's about to kid. The kids will also drop into position shortly before kidding, so you'll see her flanks will look hollow.

Here's a website with lots of good goat information. Fias Co Farm- graphic and logo design, cheesemaking, dairy goats

Good luck! Goat kids are the cutest!

jedi2814

goat had her baby last night.!!! Hubby found him up, dry and nursing thismorning. SOOoOOOO cute!!

Congratulations! I was going to post that they are pretty good at it all by themselves. We've only had one instance where it was twins and the second one presented with a back foot and nose - we had to "help" her out, but unfortunatley he was stillborn.

Watch out for the second one if it's a female. If one was the other probably is too. Pygmies are notoriously good at hiding pregnancy until the very end!