The Last Samurai

BudoPo

Being a Tom Cruise movie, I wasn't expecting anything great, but it was quite a bit better than I expected. The storyline was pretty good: a seriously romanticized version of the Satsuma Rebellion of 1876, and I thought it got the emotion of the times across pretty well. The cinemetography was pretty good, too. The final battle scene was an obvious copy (or attempt, really) of so many Kurosawa flicks (the director said he uses a lot of influence from Kursawa). It was done well, but not nearly as good as Kurosawa (no big surprise there).

The main problem was with all the talk from the director and producer about how much time and effort they spent on making sure all the details were accurate, in the end the details were unbelievably wrong. Not only the subtle details, like the wrong style of armor, but really obvious ones, like ninja using crossbows (not to mention the tolken ninja attack itself). Some of the things in the final battle didn't make much sense, either.

But, all in all, it wasn't bad, and I'd recommend it if you're into that kind of movie.

tater

Originally posted by BudoPo
Being a Tom Cruise movie, I wasn't expecting anything great, but it was quite a bit better than I expected. The storyline was pretty good: a seriously romanticized version of the Satsuma Rebellion of 1876,

Man! You're harsh! I bet you HATED Tommy Boy and Happy Gilmore:lol:. Anyway, I thought that the Last Samurai was on point. I've seen it twice now. I know...... :loser: :rolleyes:.

Anyway, I rate it right up there with the superb films I mentioned above along with Shaving Ryan's Privates and Shawshank Redemption :dance:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I think it's safe to say

that I liked the movie :biggrin: I'm not a big tom cruise fan either (especially with that shaggy look he's sporting in a lot of his recent movies). :ohwell: But this is a definate movie to see ... pretty good on the big screen too. I normally only like movies (at the theater) that are worthy of seeing on a big screen; otherwise, i rent 'em. This had a lot of scenes that deem it worthy of the admission, IMO. :clap:

BudoPo

I did enjoy the movie, don't get me wrong. The ninja attack I think was too cliché, but overall it was a good movie. The main issue was that they talked about how they spent all this time researching to get things accurate, and it was loaded with inaccuracies, that's all. At least most of the inaccuracies were in small details that most moviegoers wouldn't notice (or care about).