I've got a dumb question...

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Please forgive me for asking a stupid question....Do people of the Jewish faith celebrate New Years (Dec. 31)? I know that NYE is not a religious holiday, but I also know that Rosh Hashanah is the Jewish New Year, I am just curious as to how that works?

J

justhangn

Originally posted by cariblue
I don't think it's a stupid question. I don't know the answer.
:yeahthat: and the only stupid question is the one not asked.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
I just don't know that much about organized religion (other than my own) and was just curious...This stupid question applies to other religions as well. I don't mean to offend anyone by asking...

J

justhangn

Originally posted by Ehesef
I don't mean to offend anyone by asking...

Tell them to pound sand if they get offended over a question.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Another question might be how we arrived at December 31st as the last day of the year. I know that in the church calendar we just started a new year with the beginning of the advent season. If the calendar was based on the Christian year it would have happened a few weeks ago, wouldn't it?

Maybe New Years really is a truly secular holiday?

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Originally posted by SmallTown
I take it you have Tigger on ignore?
But at least she's asking and trying to become more knowledgeable, instead of remaining as ignorant as others.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
The Christian New Year is the first day of Advent which varies from year to year (Nov 30th this year)

The only religious significance of Jan 1st is it is the day of Jesus' circumcision.

If Christians celebrate the secular new year, there's no reason for Jews or Chinese or anyone else not to.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Originally posted by cmcdanal
The Christian New Year is the first day of Advent which varies from year to year (Nov 30th this year)

The only religious significance of Jan 1st is it is the day of Jesus' circumcision.

If Christians celebrate the secular new year, there's no reason for Jews or Chinese or anyone else not to.
Thanks for the info. I guess tlatchaw is onto something, maybe NYE is truly secular...

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Originally posted by cmcdanal

Since Jesus wasn't really born on Dec. 25, how do you know when he was circumcised? :confused:

J

justhangn

Originally posted by aps45819
Since Jesus wasn't really born on Dec. 25, how do you know when he was circumcised? :confused:

or by who's calender.