Good survey question

Nanny Pam

I also think that smoking while preggers is horrible, too.
Also, when I was leaving the library, I saw a mother, in her car, nursing her baby and she had a cigarette hanging out of her mouth. That is sickening! Those mothers should spend time in jail, too. IMHO
Can you tell I have a 'thing' for people who smoke around their children. Sorry if I offended anyone, but go smoke outside. Give your kids a chance.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Yes they should be held accountable! :burning:

On a side note, I know this may be TMI but who cares. I knew my ex husband was still smoking pot when I was preggers even though he denied it. But I wouldn't even have sex with him because I didn't want his tainted sperms to affect the baby. :crazy: I don't know that they can but it's not that hard to imagine it could.

Nanny Pam

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Sorry - I smoked with both of my kids and both are healthy and fine. Not so much as an allergy.

You are very lucky. So was I. I smoked with my first child. I regret it. He was born 6 lbs. He was a white as a sheet. (my doctor said he was addicted to nicotine) I hated myself for what I did. He out-grew his health problems. I am thankful for that, but now I see children with breathing problems, because their parents smoke. I just hate it.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Forget smoking, that's nothin'. Some people allow their kids to watch LIBERAL PROGRAMMING on MTV! Now that's child abuse! Or how about those terrible people that don't see to it that their kids brush their teeth or say their prayers. They should all be shot!

Just kidding. :rolleyes:

Actually, doing drugs or alchohol to excess while pregnant or nursing should probably be considered child abuse, but don't we have enough other stuff to worry about? How would you prove it without a "big brother" type environment where we test pregnant women and mete out punishments? How would you care for the kids of these locked up mothers?

I empathize with your position, but can't see a practical application to it.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by tlatchaw
I empathize with your position, but can't see a practical application to it.

:yeahthat:

Illegal drugs are illegal. It's black and white. But alcohol is legal and many doctors will say a single drink per day will not harm the child in any way. What's the difference between 7 drinks over the course of a week and 7 in one night. 7 all at once isn't good, but what about two drinks every other day?

I realize the question points out specifically children who are born with fetal alcohol syndrome, but different women can drink the same amount at the same rate during the course of their pregnancy and one could have a child born with the syndrome and the other doesn't. Or maybe a child doesn't manifest symptoms at birth, yet suffers from decreased mental abilities that don't show up until later.

Too many shades of grey to enforce.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Save the jail space for the real criminals.

Let's see...

A woman can kill her baby before it's ever born and no one blinks an eye, but Heaven forbid if she goes thru with the pregnancy and she has a drink or a smoke...and people cry "lock her UP!" (ok, not really) I don't like to see pregnant women smoke; but it's up to them, not me.

What's the difference if the baby's born with FAS, AIDS, or autism? You gonna want to lock up mommy then too? Should women with AIDS have babies - what if she doesn't know she has it? Gonna blame the momma? Where's the scientific proof she caused the baby harm and it wasn't something in the genes?

Docs blame everything on smoking, drinking, etc... How can you prove how much alcohol a woman had while she was pregnant?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Should this parent go to jail too?

A fire started by a bathroom candle swept through an East Baltimore rowhouse early yesterday, killing one boy and injuring another despite the efforts of firefighters who pulled them from the blaze, officials said.

Fire officials said that electricity at the house in the 400 block of N. Luzerne Ave. had been shut off since Dec. 19 and that the family was burning candles for light.

A spokeswoman for Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. said power had been disconnected because of unpaid bills.

The home's gas was to be shut off but was still connected at the time of the fire, which started just before 2:30 a.m. and quickly spread.

Deadbeat careless parents

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Re: Should this parent go to jail too?

Originally posted by Sharon
Interesting question Sharon. In our world today it would not surprise me to hear that she gets a pig payday from BG&E as contributing to the death because she was forced to use an unsafe means of providing light when they cut her power.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Re: Should this parent go to jail too?

Interesting that the mother was outside the house and firefighters had to go in to get the boys. Instead of being a chicken$hit why didn't the dumb bimbo go after her kids instead of leaving them in there while she evacuated. :rolleyes:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Should this parent go to jail too?

Originally posted by pixiegirl
Interesting that the mother was outside the house and firefighters had to go in to get the boys. Instead of being a chicken$hit why didn't the dumb bimbo go after her kids instead of leaving them in there while she evacuated. :rolleyes:
This seems to be, predominantly, an "urbanite" thing.

They must figure, why worry, they can always make another one. :rolleyes:

jam20636

What if the baby died from the effects of the alcohol and drug abuse? Would the woman be held legally liable and would the state seek to criminally charge her? This is a very resonant question in my mind, because the child was not able to survive--the child was not viable. What does everyone think about this?

TWLs wife

Originally posted by jam20636
What if the baby died from the effects of the alcohol and drug abuse? Would the woman be held legally liable and would the state seek to criminally charge her? This is a very resonant question in my mind, because the child was not able to survive--the child was not viable. What does everyone think about this?

Then I would say it is your fault.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Found one

SPARTANBURG -- A Spartanburg woman will spend the next five years in prison in connection with the death of her child in 1998.

Angela Kennedy , 29, pleaded guilty to three counts of unlawful conduct toward a child. She was originally charged with homicide by child neglect after she tested positive for crack cocaine use during the pregnancy.

A coroner's report indicated that crack cocaine was a contributing factor in the child's death in June 1998.

Prosecutors said they accepted the plea because it would have been difficult to pinpoint the crack cocaine use as the main factor behind the child's death.

Authorities said Kennedy's doctor tried to get her into a rehabilitation program during the 1998 pregnancy, but she ran away while he was on the phone.

"She will be drug-free for the next five years, and after that, it will be entirely up to Miss Kennedy whether or not she is satisfied with the course of her life or not," presecutor Trey Gowdy told WYFF News 4's Myra Ruiz.

Kennedy said the 10-year sentence, of which she will serve five years, is fair.

"Basically, don't use drugs while you're pregnant. dur... :duh: You know, I guess I'm a good example," Kennedy told the court.

Kennedy will serve five years probation after her release from prison, with mandatory drug testing and job training.

2742330_200X150.jpg

~~~~~~~
*Not sure if the child was born or she was still pregnant at the time of the baby's death, the article isn't clear on that.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Re: Found one

*Not sure if the child was born or she was still pregnant at the time of the baby's death, the article isn't clear on that.

I think California is the only state with a law allowing for procecution for the death of an unborn. And that law is being tested for the first time with the Scott Peterson case.

So the kid must have been born. But all he has to do is take one breath and he legally goes from being a fetus to being a human being.