Puppy worm treatments

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
I'm just looking for people's recommendations on the best worm treatment. I'm pretty sure my puppy has hook worm (I saw one of the suckers on his tail). I've gotten some stuff called St. Aubrin's from Safeway, but I'm not sure what chemical is in it. From what I've read on a few puppy care webpages, there's one chemical (that starts with a P) that doens't work all that well.

Any luck with any particular brand? Also let me know where it can be found.

Thanks!

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
Oh yeah... and is there any way the puppy could give them to my cat? The cat is completely indoors, but pup is in the process of being housebroken.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Hookworms generally are not visible. Do they look like spaghetti? Those are round worms. Hookworms are very dangerous because puppies can be born with them and if not treated properly they can kill the puppy. They can cause anemia as they attach themselves to the inside of the intestines and suck blood from the puppy. Worms can be transmitted to the kitten in the eggs which can be found in the feces of the puppy. I'd take the puppy to the vet.

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
Thanks guys.

The reason I thought they might be hookworms is because they're only a half inch long and kinda flat. Most of the other worms I looked up were long and skinny, like you said.

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
Thanks for correcting me, it was tapeworms. The vet actually gave him a shot for it. His shoulder's still sore were he got it, but he's already looking a lot better.

Thanks again!

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Old thread..but my pup (which was supposed to have been wormed:bigwhoop:) has roundworms..I should have known he didn't recieve proper care and as soon as i get a chance I am going to KILL SO. I made the little guy an appt for a check up and such, but figure I wormed my kittens, I should be able to do it with my pup..right? I gave him a dose...is there a good schedule? I can't seem to find a consensus online and thought I would ask all of the rescue folks first before I call up the vet. Most say he is good with one dose, but because little pups should have it done several times, should I do it again sometime? He seems absolutely healthy, so I am not worried about rushing him in or anything..he's about 13-14 weeks..

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Old thread..but my pup (which was supposed to have been wormed:bigwhoop:) has roundworms..I should have known he didn't recieve proper care and as soon as i get a chance I am going to KILL SO. I made the little guy an appt for a check up and such, but figure I wormed my kittens, I should be able to do it with my pup..right? I gave him a dose...is there a good schedule? I can't seem to find a consensus online and thought I would ask all of the rescue folks first before I call up the vet. Most say he is good with one dose, but because little pups should have it done several times, should I do it again sometime? He seems absolutely healthy, so I am not worried about rushing him in or anything..he's about 13-14 weeks..

:huggy:... hold on....

Im sure he had been wormed... but he needs to be done in a series... you kill the adults but then you forget...the adults lay eggs, eggs hatch and by that time you need to kill them also... so thats why you worm SEVERAL times while you are doing his puppy vacc.

dont worry... get to the vet and they will take care of ya!! :love:

foodforthought

Same problem with my pup-she was dewormed as supposed to be, then around 14 wks- EWWW- she came up with worms! Full grown mature worms! Now I did not have a sample of that stool to take to the vet-so they just gave me strongid without seeing her-the following week I could still see little tiny worms moving in her stools, went back and they gave me Drontal-this med will kill ANY type of worm she may have had. Gave her a dose that day and the stool was clear within 24 hrs-also gave her a follow up dose 3 wks later-med can be ordered very cheap off Joe's Pet Meds- the dosing goes by weight. I will be using this every few months or so for her just to be on the safe side for the first yr-some vets recommend yearly after that. Funny thing was-her stool samples the day I got the Drontal were negative for any parasite eggs-so all worms she had were in the larval or mature stage. Either way really grossed me out!!!!!