Help I have a little birdy in my bedroom

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
So a week or so ago I noticed that a family of birds ( about 5) had made their home in our garage. We have been opening windows and doors in hopes they would move out. Well today my son goes down to the garage to help wash the car and he left the garage door open to the foyer on accident.

About an hour ago as I am sitting on the edge of the bed playing on my laptop I hear this loud chirping. I thought for a moment that it was a bird outside of the window until I saw my cat pounce on it. I start screaming for my kids to go get DE while I try to chase the cat to get it to let go of the bird.

Got the cat out and then opened the windows and took the screens out in hopes the bird would fly out. The bird took a big crap on the floor and I thought it was gone. No luck on that though I just heard it chip again. Any advice on getting this little bird back to safety?

Oh snap it just buzzed by me and is on the dresser! :tantrum

Last edited:

Rael

Supper's Ready
So a week or so ago I noticed that a family of birds ( about 5) had made their home in our garage. We have been opening windows and doors in hopes they would move out. Well today my son goes down to the garage to help wash the car and he left the garage door open to the foyer on accident.

About an hour ago as I am sitting on the edge of the bed playing on my laptop I hear this loud chirping. I thought for a moment that it was a bird outside of the window until I saw my cat pounce on it. I start screaming for my kids to go get DE while I try to chase the cat to get it to let go of the bird.

Got the cat out and then opened the windows and took the screens out in hopes the bird would fly out. The bird took a big crap on the floor and I thought it was gone. No luck on that though I just heard it chip again. Any advice on getting this little brid back to safety?

Oh snap it just buzzed by me and is on the dresser! :tantrum

A wren, I bet. :lol:

Sounds like you're doing the right thing by opening the windows and getting the cat out of the way. If you can isolate it to a smaller room and close the door, maybe it will be easier for it to find its way out through an open window. They'll try to fly right through the glass as well, so it's best if they're open (if you care about the bird, that is).

Take pictures, I want to see...Good luck! :lol:

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
A wren, I bet. :lol:

Sounds like you're doing the right thing by opening the windows and getting the cat out of the way. If you can isolate it to a smaller room and close the door, maybe it will be easier for it to find its way out through an open window. They'll try to fly right through the glass as well, so it's best if they're open (if you care about the bird, that is).

Take pictures, I want to see...Good luck! :lol:

I have the bedroom closed off on both sides from the hall and the bathroom. The cat's are on detention in my daughter's room for the time being. I am worried he or she will not fly out the windows as we are on the water and it is a bit breezy right now on the side of the house where the windows are open. I am also taking into consideration that we have been opening doors and windows in the garage and the little birds are still there. I just wonder how they are getting food.

Rael

Supper's Ready
I have the bedroom closed off on both sides from the hall and the bathroom. The cat's are on detention in my daughter's room for the time being. I am worried he or she will not fly out the windows as we are on the water and it is a bit breezy right now on the side of the house where the windows are open. I am also taking into consideration that we have been opening doors and windows in the garage and the little birds are still there. I just wonder how they are getting food.

Does the bathroom have a window? Smaller room, less options... I managed to grab a tiring hummingbird once in my garage with a baseball cap, that must have been fun to watch (stupid thing couldn't get out of the garage with the door wide open, stayed up at the ceiling the whole time). I wouldn't worry about its food, If it gets out, it will find its parents (or they will find it).

And don't worry about the bird####, if I was stuck in a giant bird's nest, I'd be s#####', too. :lol:

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
Does the bathroom have a window? Smaller room, less options... I managed to grab a tiring hummingbird once in my garage with a baseball cap, that must have been fun to watch (stupid thing couldn't get out of the garage with the door wide open, stayed up at the ceiling the whole time). I wouldn't worry about its food, If it gets out, it will find its parents (or they will find it).

And don't worry about the bird####, if I was stuck in a giant bird's nest, I'd be s#####', too. :lol:

DE said that if he had almost died in the jaws of a cat he would S#### myself too! :lol: The bathroom does conjoin off our room and also has a window. Thankfully the bathroom is split as the shower and bathtub area is a separate room that goes between two bedrooms and the toilet and sink area is to the front and accessible from the shower/tub room or the hall. I hope that made sense.

I have opened the door to the back bathroom on my side and if the little bird makes it's way in there hopefully it will fly out that window or once confined it will be easier to be caught and released.

Rael

Supper's Ready
DE said that if he had almost died in the jaws of a cat he would S#### myself too! :lol: The bathroom does conjoin off our room and also has a window. Thankfully the bathroom is split as the shower and bathtub area is a separate room that goes between two bedrooms and the toilet and sink area is to the front and accessible from the shower/tub room or the hall. I hope that made sense.

I have opened the door to the back bathroom on my side and if the little bird makes it's way in there hopefully it will fly out that window or once confined it will be easier to be caught and released.

:lol: Any luck? Or what kind of bird it was?

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
:lol: Any luck? Or what kind of bird it was?

I don't now much about birds. I can tell and Osprey from a Bald Eagle a Turkey Buzzard from a Blue Jay but my best guess would be a sparrow. Before the cat lunged at it it almost looked like a greyish blue sock on the floor but in a ball shape.

"Chuck" as my children have named him or her has evaded me quite bit today. I thought he may have flown the coop after bouncing off the dressor mirror but an hour later he flew by yet again. A/C is on and I have three windows wide open. SMECO is going to love us this month. :killingme

We have pulled out everypiece of furniture in our search but this little birdy is a sneaky thing. I don't mind the bird to be honest. I just don't want it to die from lack of food or my cat and I sure don't want it poopin on my head in my sleep.

John Z

if you will
Wow, hope he flies out. We briefly had a bird in the house when it go into the chimney of the woodstove and we could hear it in the stove. Like dummies we opened the door and out he came!

I think we were able to help direct him with something like a broom or tennis raquet (or is it racket?) to get him out the slider door.

Pretty nuts. Well .... good luck! :biggrin:

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
Wow, hope he flies out. We briefly had a bird in the house when it go into the chimney of the woodstove and we could hear it in the stove. Like dummies we opened the door and out he came!

I think we were able to help direct him with something like a broom or tennis raquet (or is it racket?) to get him out the slider door.

Pretty nuts. Well .... good luck! :biggrin:

Well I just got home from watching a ball game and I closed the windows in hopes that our little buddy made his way outside. I have not heard any chirping in the last 30 minutes so I am crossing my fingers that the coast is clear. The cat's are still on lockdown though.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
Why did you take the bird from the cat?

Honestly? I know that cats have a way of hiding and then munching on their prey and then depositing their conquest in your lap like a big trophy that they want you to be proud of. If this happened outside even though my cat does not go outside I would have chalked it up and moved on. I did not want the possibility of rotting bird remnents from a corner of my room or under my bed. I also did not want to listen to the darn thing squeel for it's life as my kitty munched on it. My kids already listened to that when my other cat killed a rabbit under our house a few years back.