Movie Critics Suck!

K

Kain99

My daughter has been bugging the heck out of me to watch Gigli... You know the movie with Ben Affleck and J-Lo that the critics blew out of the water. Well anyway she kept saying Mom you'll love this movie. So finally I sat down and watched it.

I must seriously say, that this movie was well done and honestly tugged at my heart. I think the critics just had it out for ben and J. While it's no Camelot... It was sweet and honest. I liked it.:biggrin:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I can't stand most movie reviewers. The exceptions are Pauline Kael and Harlan Ellison. Siskel and Ebert were fun to watch, even when I didn't agree with them, because they were knowledgable about film.

One big problem with the review system is that it discourages dissent from the prevaling trend on a certain movie. The reviewers are afraid of appearing out of step or clueless if they liked, say, Battlefield Earth and most of their colleagues are trashing it.

Also, the system is too influenced by the word of mouth from the studios. They use the grapevine to bash their competitors' upcoming releases. Most of the reviewers love the attention shown by the studios at premieres, and enjoy the gossip because it gives them an inflated sense of their own importance.

Even worse is when a new president comes into office at a studio. To make himself look good, he and his cronies use the grapevine to torpedo the upcoming films that were overseen by the previous regime. Then those films are dumped, meaning that they are released with little or no promotion.

watercolor

yeah yeah
I don't EVER listen to what the movie critic's say! Ever! 9 times out of 10 I will see it, and then it will be the complete oppisite of what the critic's thought. :rolleyes:

Ah well! To each their own I assume!

Nanny Pam

I agree. I hear what the critics have to say, but when it comes to J-Lo, I like her, so I can't wait to see the movie. Actually, I listen to what others are saying before the critics.

watercolor

yeah yeah
I typically dont like J-lo movies, just because they seem to all fall under the same line of 'wedding bells ring for everyone but her' and such- but I watched 'Enough' the other night- and it was very good. Now I want to finish watching it- because I had to leave.