Chicken coops for sale?

RegularGuy

We got 5 baby hen chicks a few weeks ago, and are looking at our options for either building or buying a chicken coop. Is anyone aware of someone local (Mennonite possibly or otherwise) that makes and sells chicken coops?
Thanks.

I don't know where you are, but the shed guy next to St. Mary's Landing has some "sheds" that look like they are some sort of animal pen. I would imagine that all of the amish/mennonite shed builders build them as well. Go to the amish at the library farmer's market or the amish selling the animals at the junk market and ask them maybe? There is probably something available from the Tractor Supply Company in White Plains.

SquirrelBait

Look at her SMILE
It's way cheaper if you build your own!

Finishing mine today. 7x12 with 7 foot ceiling and on a boat trailer so it can be moved to the garden over winter. got about 550 in it total.

6x8 built coop was 1100

And for 5 chicks you don't need much more then a dog house with a flip top roof

ginwoman

wow, you guys are into your chickens. Do you have them mostly for the eggs, or as pets?
I think chickens are neat, but hubby says NO and I don't really blame him. I think miniature goats are cute too. Enjoy your chicks!

Cowgirl

Finishing mine today. 7x12 with 7 foot ceiling and on a boat trailer so it can be moved to the garden over winter. got about 550 in it total.

6x8 built coop was 1100

Pics? Ours is 8X10 and we have about $500 in it. The roof was the most expensive part. It's that Ondura (?) stuff from Lowe's...about $100 for just the roof.

Here's ours just after it was finished.

Attachments

• DSC05440.JPG
    DSC05440.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC05443.JPG
    DSC05443.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 185
D

dems4me

Pics? Ours is 8X10 and we have about $500 in it. The roof was the most expensive part. It's that Ondura (?) stuff from Lowe's...about $100 for just the roof.

Very nice!!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Sure is - biggest thing in the Summer is their need for ventilation so making something that has a low roof may not work well? Mine roost on poles and on top of flat shelf-type places within a confined area.

Funny how some choose the roosting poles while others want the support of a flat surface. Chickens are some of THE best pets to have :buddies: .

It's way cheaper if you build your own!

Got building plans for your coop?

Cowgirl

Got building plans for your coop?

Took me a while to find it, but I found it. :lol: I got the plans from the University of Tennessee Extension. They have a site with lots of plans, but this is the one we used. We made quite a few changes (like making it 8X10, moving the door, making 2 front widows, and no interior wall). Pretty much we just used the plans to give us an idea of how it was built, and my Dad helped make all the changes and helped build it (on Father's Day no less :lol:).

idiganthro

A Mennonite gentleman built my first coop for me. There was a picture from an ad in a poultry magazine and I gave him the dimensions I wanted. He is John Stauffer located on Beaver Lane which runs by the Chopticon HS ball field. He also builds gazebos. It's a dirt road, down a bit, first house on the left.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
We have a large doghouse that was converted into a chicken coop, the mennonites made it and we purchased it from them...bring $50 and some strong guys and its yours...