Indoor Cats

MikeyBash

I've noticed that recently, more animal shelters and rescure organizations require that adopted cats be kept indoors. They say this is healthier for the cats, but anyone who has ever owned a cat knows this can't be true. Cats hate being cooped up inside, and they take it out on the furniture. Declawing is a cruel solution to that problem. Sure, letting your cat out increases its risk of getting run over by a car, or contracting a disease, but this risk is small compared to what a cat loses by denying it access to the outdoors, where cats do what they like to do.

So, I've been wondering, why do these organizations want cats kept inside? Could it be that what cats like to do is kill other animals? That's their nature, and denying them the opportunity to do that is unnatural.

Are vegan animal-lovers trying to inforce their morality on killer cats?

Just a thought.

MikeyBash

If you think the world is such a dangerous place for cats, what about the rest of us? I mean, anybody could get hit by a car, but that doesn’t keep us from leaving the house. And, seriously, how likely is it that some researcher is going to be driving around my neighborhood, looking for cats to kidnap (catnap?) for his experiments?

Crabby Old Lady

Knit picking
Originally posted by MikeyBash
If you think the world is such a dangerous place for cats, what about the rest of us? I mean, anybody could get hit by a car, but that doesn’t keep us from leaving the house. And, seriously, how likely is it that some researcher is going to be driving around my neighborhood, looking for cats to kidnap (catnap?) for his experiments?
Researchers looking for cats? YES always and dogs also!
Our neighbor has about 7 outside cats and we are constantly having to stop our car because they have decided to take some rays laying on the payment. I am getting sick of their calling cards in my flower gardens also.

MikeyBash

If the ability to avoid getting hit by a car is a measure of IQ, my cat is smarter than me since he's never been hit, but I have. Of course, my cat's never been to Tiajiana....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Appy, you can apply most of those reasons to children as well, yet nobody thinks to keep their children penned up in the house forever. And I can tell you absolutely and positively that my cats are smarter than my kids.

My cats go outside, except for the baby because he's too dumb. I couldn't keep them inside even if I wanted to. The second anyone opens the door, they either run in or run out.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by appyday
I will not sell or give a cat/kitten to anyone that makes me think they will be letting it outdoors...
A buddy of mine was raving because the shelter wouldn't give him a cat because he intended to let it out. I was like, there are a million litters of kittens in St. Marys - go somewhere else. But he was outraged that the shelter would snub him. :lol:

MikeyBash

My point when I started this thread was not whether cats should be allowed to go outside. It was about shelters that prohibit adoptions by people who won't promise to keep the cats indoors. Most of these cats, if not adopted, will be euthenized. Is that better than being adopted and allowed to go outside?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My 13 y/o cat, Jack, she is an indoor/outdoor cat. She prefers to be inside (and is curled on her back, paws up at the moment) but goes outside to do her business. She has brought me all sorts of gifts ranging from, butterflies, lizzards, mice, moles, baby bunnies and even a couple of baby copperheads! :yikes: She has been hurt once, which we think was either a car or horse. Most likely a horse. But she is good to go.

Crabby Old Lady

Knit picking
I have two fixed barn cats, the male thinks he is the mighty hunter and stalks deer! The little female likes to hide in the hay rack and jump out of the hay at the horses. The male is the sweetest guy always coming in the chain linked yard and plays with my dogs. I have such guilty feelings seeing him outside but he seems to love it just as much as coming up on the porch with me for some cuddle time. The real difference I noticed between him and the indoor cat that I used to have is his nails are like razors. But I will never ever let an indoor cat escape out again.
We lost our indoor cat to a neighborhood thug Tom cat who ripped her throat open.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Crabby Old Lady
We lost our indoor cat to a neighborhood thug Tom cat who ripped her throat open.
:bawl: I'm so sorry. My cat used to beat up our GSD, and play in turn. Alas, no more.... Although, I think she misses her. :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Crabby Old Lady

Knit picking
Rose it always seems the cat has the upper hand with the dogs doesn't it? lol
Yep ours was best friends with our yellow lab, in fact we had to insist they kennel them side by side when we went on vacation. This was years ago though.
I am sure your cat does miss your GSD. I am sorry again for your loss. I still shed tears when I think about our rottie and he has been gone for a year! They sure leave a void.

MikeyBash

I think cats are born with a need to kill--it's part of they're psychic makeup. Deprived of this, they may be safer, but they're not doing what nature designed them to do.

Domesticating animals changes them to suit our needs. It's dishonest to pretend we've got their best interests at heart. Cats are nature's perfect killers, and they should be allowed to kill. If we don't want to let them, at least we shouldn't pretend it's for their own good.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Crabby Old Lady
Rose it always seems the cat has the upper hand with the dogs doesn't it? lol
Yep ours was best friends with our yellow lab, in fact we had to insist they kennel them side by side when we went on vacation. This was years ago though.
I am sure your cat does miss your GSD. I am sorry again for your loss. I still shed tears when I think about our rottie and he has been gone for a year! They sure leave a void.
Thank you. :smile: I have had my cat longer than I have had my husband! She is my swetie pie and is now curled in his lap!

TripleJ

When I had a house on an acre of land, I had three cats. They were never allowed inside? What in the world would a person ever let a cat inside their house for? They are just something you have to have to keep moles, mice and any other thing you don't want in your yard or home away. If they couldn't earn their keep I had no use for them. They did earn their keep, nothing was allowed to live in that yard without their permission.:cheers:

lucaswebco

We have three cats and they love being able to go outside on a daily basis. This is good for the cats and makes live very interesting for me. The strangest present they've gotten for me is a bat. Lots of fun that was. But I still send them out everyday.

lkt

curly-locks
I think they should ask where the person lives... or umm how large their yard is cuzz it makes a a BIG difference if they live in the woods or the middle of lexington park.. if their yard is surrounded by a 6 foot privacy fence?? etc.. besides they gonna follow ur friend around with a cam to double check?