Please help identify a snake- red, white, & black

highnote

Almost stepped on a snake today while outside. It was mostly red, with bands of white that were bordered in a small black line. It was 18"-24" long, I think, and quite thin. Any idea what type of snake this was? We live on a wooded lot.

highnote

Not a corn snake. He was bright, vivid red, and doesnt match any of the photos I've seen of corn snakes.

I'd say:
55% red
40%white
5% black (thin border)

highnote

from the links, it looks like scarlett and milk snake are the same thing (scarlett is a type of milk snake)??? is that correct?

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
from the links, it looks like scarlett and milk snake are the same thing (scarlett is a type of milk snake)??? is that correct?

Scarlett has a red head, and sounds like a native species.

Mile snake is a black head(?).

highnote

I honestly don't remember the color of the head, I'd guess red.

Wikipedia says:

"The Milk Snake is a species of king snake. There are 25 subspecies among the milk snakes, including the commonly named scarlet kingsnake."

NatureCenter

Almost stepped on a snake today while outside. It was mostly red, with bands of white that were bordered in a small black line. It was 18"-24" long, I think, and quite thin. Any idea what type of snake this was? We live on a wooded lot.

Eastern Milksnake and juvenile Northern Watersnake are the two possibilities that come to mind with those colors. Both are native. Both are harmless.

F

forceofnature

Yep, non poisonous. Only venomous snakes in MD are the Copperhead and Rattlesnake.

THERE ARE NO COTTONMOUTHS IN SoMD.

And that cobra that got loose from my house. :killingme

No coral snakes here either

L

Libertarian

This photo is probably cloest to what I saw (although I'm not sure if the head color is accurate, I dont remember that)

http://rainforestpet.com/images/Milk Snake.jpg
I know we don't have the venomous coral snake in this area, but it helps to remember this rhyme when identifying snakes which resemble it, such as the scarlet kingsnake and milk snake:

Red touching yellow can kill a fellow
Red touching black is a friend of Jack.

As you can see in the pics you linked to, the scarlet king and milk snakes have red bands that touch black bands. The coral snake, however, has red bands that touch yellow bands. Again, coral snakes do not live around here. The do live in southeastern U.S. and southwestern U.S.

NatureCenter

I know we don't have the venomous coral snake in this area, but it helps to remember this rhyme when identifying snakes which resemble it, such as the scarlet kingsnake and milk snake:

Red touching yellow can kill a fellow
Red touching black is a friend of Jack.

As you can see in the pics you linked to, the scarlet king and milk snakes have red bands that touch black bands. The coral snake, however, has red bands that touch yellow bands. Again, coral snakes do not live around here. The do live in southeastern U.S. and southwestern U.S.

Due keep in mind that "yellow" is a very broad term in relation to the snake colors for eastern kings/milks/scarlets/corals.. the "yellow" can actually range anywhere from a noticeable yellow to a pale cream color or almost white color.

L

Libertarian

Due keep in mind that "yellow" is a very broad term in relation to the snake colors for eastern kings/milks/scarlets/corals.. the "yellow" can actually range anywhere from a noticeable yellow to a pale cream color or almost white color.
Thanks!