Rose confesses?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A57332-2004Jan5

"I'm sure that I'm supposed to act all sorry or sad or guilty now that I've accepted that I've done something wrong. But you see, I'm just not built that way," wrote Rose. "So let's leave it like this: I'm sorry it happened and I'm sorry for all the people, fans and family it hurt. Let's move on."

No, let's stay right here.

Let's do a little exegesis of the text as the old-time hellfire preachers used to say. Rose says he's "not built" to "act all sorry or sad or guilty." Well, if he can't even act that way, with his whole future hanging in the balance, we can be sure he's incapable of actually feeling that way. Our prisons are full of people who aren't "built" to feel remorse or guilt or sorrow at the damage they have done. This attitude is a pathology, Pete, not a bragging point.

T.Rally

Rose is such a piece of crap. Wonderful player, pathetic individual. Fourteen years ago he should of thrown himself at the public's mercy and begged for forgiveness. Now that he has a book to sell and the fact that after December 2005 he can no longer be considered for the Hall, he decides to come clean. I hope he never gets in.

H

harvick_29

Originally posted by T.Rally
Rose is such a piece of crap. Wonderful player, pathetic individual. Fourteen years ago he should of thrown himself at the public's mercy and begged for forgiveness. Now that he has a book to sell and the fact that after December 2005 he can no longer be considered for the Hall, he decides to come clean. I hope he never gets in.

whats wrong with him being inducted? OJ is still there in the football hall! atleast Rose didnt chop up his wife and her friend! hmmm kinda makes ya wonder! Ohh thats right, OJ was innocent! Yeah right :cussing:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Originally posted by harvick_29
whats wrong with him being inducted? OJ is still there in the football hall! atleast Rose didnt chop up his wife and her friend! hmmm kinda makes ya wonder! Ohh thats right, OJ was innocent! Yeah right :cussing:

Simpson was already in the Football HOF before he started his tour of golf courses searching for the killer of his wife.

Rose knew the rules, he shouldn't be allowed in the HOF. Once he serves his lifetime ban, let him in posthumously.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is why sports suck. You can choke your coach, kill your wife, do drugs, have your girlfriend burn your house down, dress in drag, rape a woman and, basically, act about as poorly as humans are capable of acting. But BY GOD! you better not gamble! And God help you if you do a touchdown dance!

:duh:

H

harvick_29

Originally posted by vraiblonde
This is why sports suck. You can choke your coach, kill your wife, do drugs, have your girlfriend burn your house down, dress in drag, rape a woman and, basically, act about as poorly as humans are capable of acting. But BY GOD! you better not gamble! And God help you if you do a touchdown dance!

:duh:

This is why nascar is the true sport :cheers: 5 weeks till daytona :clap:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I heard a comment on the radio this morning that I have to agree with... If Bill Clinton can cheat on his wife and lie about it and still be president then Pete Rose should be allowed to be in the HOF. I'd of said no before hearing that but now I'm not so sure. I'm still on the fence. :confused:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Perspective...

...the Baseball Hall of Fame is full of racists, racist owners, good people who were not allowed in but then put in because of rule or eligibility changes, bad people who were not allowed in but then put in because of rule or eligibility changes and all sorts of folks from nice guy Cal Ripken (as soon as he is eligible) to mean guy Ty Cobb.

It is impossible to leave the greatest hitter, in terms of total hits, out of the Hall. Sooner or later.

It is very possible to leave him out of the game.

This is my position and, coincidently, Cal Ripkens position.

Apparently, what Rose wants is to manage again.

I think that that would be the worse thing baseball could do, let him back in the game.

He'll be behind a bench within three years.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I think Bob Costas proposed this--admit Rose into the Hall of Fame, but list on his plaque the reason he was banned from baseball. Other than that, I would keep the ban in place for the rest of his life.

donbarzini

Originally posted by Tonio
I think Bob Costas proposed this--admit Rose into the Hall of Fame, but list on his plaque the reason he was banned from baseball. Other than that, I would keep the ban in place for the rest of his life.

Look, for fourteen years he said he didn't bet on baseball.

Now when he's got a book to sell he says: welllllllll, I really did but I'm not gonna say I'm sorry. AND I didn't bet against my own team.

We're supposed to believe him NOW?

Picture this........

He's managing and he checks the Vegas line one day and sees that the Reds are playing the Padres in SD and the line says they should win by 4 runs. He knows that he will win the game but thinks the line is too high so he drops 10 large on the Padres ""just to beat the spread" so he really isn't betting against his team(yeah right).

It's the bottom of the ninth and the Reds are up 5-0. He says: I can't lose 10 large, so he says to his people we're can't lose this game so let's bring in the AA kid we just brought up and warm up the closer just in case. The AA kid gives up two runs, the closer comes in and he gets credit for "getting the kid some work" and the closer gets a save and he wins his 10 large.

Does this piece of SHIrT belong in the HOF.

I don't FARGIN think so!!! :burning: :burning: :burning:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by donbarzini
Does this piece of SHIrT belong in the HOF.

I don't FARGIN think so!!! :burning: :burning: :burning:

I'm not excusing his betting on baseball, or his shameful half-assed "confession", which in many ways was even worse. While Vrai is right that society coddles pro athletes to the point of infantilism, they still must be held accountable for their actions.

Still, I'm with Larry on this one--the Hall of Fame is about on-field performance. If an ambulatory piece of offal like Ty Cobb can be in the Hall of Fame, than so can Rose. I don't see being in the Hall of Fame as "being in the game."

Does the ban prevent Rose from attend official MLB functions? If not, I would let him attend, but take the Hester Prynne approach and force him to wear a scarlet BoB (Bet on Baseball)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The fact remains that the HOF is for your baseball playing, not your morals and ethics. Rose should definitely be in the HOF.

As far as managing a team or something - who cares? 99.9% of professional athletes are criminals in some form. Why persecute Rose?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I like that...

ambulatory piece of offal

...can I use it?

99% are NOT criminals. There are mobs of guys like Cal and Darrel Green who always knew the world was bigger than them, that they were just ballplayers.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by vraiblonde
criminals in some form.

I think part of it is all the praise and attention that they get from an early age. They think the world revolves around them.

Not sports, but Joan Rivers tells this story about Freddie Prinze Sr., who shot himself 27 years ago: Rivers saw the 18-year-old Prinze in the NBC studios with four women washing his hair. She told him to go back to college, and he didn't know what she was talking about. She said that you can't give an 18-year-old four women to wash his hair and tell him "You're a genius." Something's going to happen.