Infant Carriers

CMC122

Go Braves!
Could those of you who still have little one's in infant carriers for car seats PLEASE read the handle!!!! It says to either Not operate the vehicle when the handle is in the upright position OR Put the handle forward.

If the handle is left in the upright position the carseat will NOT protect your baby the way it is designed to do!! Please take the time to put the handle the way it belongs!!! It only takes a second & is so very important!!

**This is just a pet peeve of mine that is so easy to take care of. I've seen way too many kids hurt that didn't need to be.**

Thank You!!

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Mine doesn't say any such thing.

I don't see why the handle would have any affect on the effectiveness of the seat. Of course, it's 5-1/2 yrs old, so maybe it's something about the newer ones. :shrug:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by cmcdanal
Mine doesn't say any such thing.

I don't see why the handle would have any affect on the effectiveness of the seat. Of course, it's 5-1/2 yrs old, so maybe it's something about the newer ones. :shrug:

The seat should act as cocoon and fold up into the actual vehicle seat to protect the baby. If the handle is in the upright position there is no cocoon action.

You should also dispose of any seat after 7 years or ANY vehicle accident.

You can check all of this at MSP if you like. I believe they do car seat inspections. I used to do them whe I was in the fire department.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by CMC122
The seat should act as cocoon and fold up into the actual vehicle seat to protect the baby. If the handle is in the upright position there is no cocoon action.

You should also dispose of any seat after 7 years or ANY vehicle accident.

You can check all of this at MSP if you like. I believe they do car seat inspections. I used to do them whe I was in the fire department.

I thought folding up into the seat is exactly why you shouldn't use them with airbags. The airbag forces them to fold up into the seat. And if the carseat is used with a base, it won't fold up because the base should keep it from doing so.

I know car seats are only safe for a certain period of time. They actually have expiration dates on them.

My carseat seriously doesn't have any mention of the handle being up or down. The handle is also a different shape from any they make now. I like mine better then the current version of the same model. My brother has the current one and they hated the way the handle was and the extra weight of it so badly, they put it away and are using a convertable carseat. Their kid is big enough now for the convertable, but she was a little small for it when they first gave up on the carrier.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by cmcdanal
I thought folding up into the seat is exactly why you shouldn't use them with airbags. The airbag forces them to fold up into the seat. And if the carseat is used with a base, it won't fold up because the base should keep it from doing so.

I know car seats are only safe for a certain period of time. They actually have expiration dates on them.

My carseat seriously doesn't have any mention of the handle being up or down. The handle is also a different shape from any they make now. I like mine better then the current version of the same model. My brother has the current one and they hated the way the handle was and the extra weight of it so badly, they put it away and are using a convertable carseat. Their kid is big enough now for the convertable, but she was a little small for it when they first gave up on the carrier.

NONONO never with Airbags. The force of the airbags causes damage can actually break the car seat. Like I said if you don't believe me have it checked and let them explain to you how an infant carrier is designed to work.

I was just triing to help someone from having a little one hurt. That's all .

JabbaJawz

Be about it
My daughter is 4, and when was in her infant seat it definitely had a note on the base saying to fold the handle down when driving around. Apparently it can snap off and break in a collision if it's in the 'carrying position'. I don't remember exactly what it said, but I always folded down that handle. :shrug:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by PFgal
My daughter is 4, and when was in her infant seat it definitely had a note on the base saying to fold the handle down when driving around. Apparently it can snap off and break in a collision if it's in the 'carrying position'. I don't remember exactly what it said, but I always folded down that handle. :shrug:
:yeahthat:

lfquade

Could those of you who still have little one's in infant carriers for car seats PLEASE read the handle!!!! It says to either Not operate the vehicle when the handle is in the upright position OR Put the handle forward.

If the handle is left in the upright position the carseat will NOT protect your baby the way it is designed to do!! Please take the time to put the handle the way it belongs!!! It only takes a second & is so very important!!

**This is just a pet peeve of mine that is so easy to take care of. I've seen way too many kids hurt that didn't need to be.**

Thank You!!

My carseat or handle doesnt say such a thing. My carseat is fairly new, my son is only 4 months old. You would think if that was such an important thing it would be on all carseats??? :confused:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Re: Re: Infant Carriers

Originally posted by lfquade
My carseat or handle doesnt say such a thing. My carseat is fairly new, my son is only 4 months old. You would think if that was such an important thing it would be on all carseats??? :confused:

Never know, they may have redesigned several of the carseats so that putting the handle down isn't a safety requirement anymore. Probably depends on the individual seat. I see tons of people with the handles up, and find it hard to believe that so many people would defy the safety requirements - that's what makes me think that the handle thing doesn't pertain to all seats.

Elle

Happy Camper!
I think everyone should read the guides. I know Cosco makes one carrier that in order for it to snap in to place in the base corredctly the handle must be in the upright position. Mine was a Graco and it was supposed to be folded down behind the seat. Everyone is designed differently so you can't just make a blanket statement.

lfquade

Re: Re: Re: Infant Carriers

Originally posted by PFgal
Never know, they may have redesigned several of the carseats so that putting the handle down isn't a safety requirement anymore. Probably depends on the individual seat. I see tons of people with the handles up, and find it hard to believe that so many people would defy the safety requirements - that's what makes me think that the handle thing doesn't pertain to all seats.

I see where you are coming from but kinda hard to follow certain safety requirements when most people have no clue about it, and if its not posted on the carseat then they really don't know.

lfquade

Originally posted by tys_mommy
I think everyone should read the guides. I know Cosco makes one carrier that in order for it to snap in to place in the base corredctly the handle must be in the upright position. Mine was a Graco and it was supposed to be folded down behind the seat. Everyone is designed differently so you can't just make a blanket statement.

Who is that directed to? Just wondering....:wink:

Elle

Happy Camper!
Who is that directed to? Just wondering....:wink:

Everyone or CMC I guess. Every model is different; parents need to read the guides on how to use them. Just because my friends car seat or the one I used 5 years ago for my son said to put the handle behind the seat, I know for a fact that at least one model on the market says to leave the handle at 90 degrees to properly fit in the base so they aren't all a like and one statement is not true for all.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Like I stated I'm sorry now for even starting this post.

I have personally seen what can happen to baby's and kids who aren't restrained properly. It is not pretty at all. One kid I took care of lost his eye from it.

I have also personally taken the classes to learn how to deal with carseats.

Like I also stated just go have a carseat check done. PLEASE!

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by tys_mommy
Everyone or CMC I guess. Every model is different; parents need to read the guides on how to use them. Just because my friends car seat or the one I used 5 years ago for my son said to put the handle behind the seat, I know for a fact that at least one model on the market says to leave the handle at 90 degrees to properly fit in the base so they aren't all a like and one statement is not true for all.

Putting the carseat into the base and driving with the handle up are two totally different things.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Re: Re: Re: Re: Infant Carriers

I see where you are coming from but kinda hard to follow certain safety requirements when most people have no clue about it, and if its not posted on the carseat then they really don't know.

Have no clue about it?? If they'd simply read the instructions that come along with the product they'd have all the info. they need.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Putting the carseat into the base and driving with the handle up are two totally different things.

I know but on the Cosco one I saw when you put the handle down it automatically released from the base. I personally didn't like that feature and a few others so opted to not purchase that model. Since I don't have this seat, I don't know the specifics but I'm just saying every seat is engineered differently. The best bet is to read the guides that come with them and if you still have questions seek outside help from either the police or hospital or someplace of that nature.