US Confirms Underwater Oil Plume

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
Scientist Awed by Size, Density of Undersea Oil Plume in Gulf

"Vast underwater concentrations of oil sprawling for miles in the Gulf of Mexico from the damaged, crude-belching BP PLC well are unprecedented in "human history" and threaten to wreak havoc on marine life, a team of scientists said today, a finding confirmed for the first time by federal officials.

Researchers aboard the F.G. Walton Smith vessel briefed reporters on a two-week cruise in which they traced an underwater oil plum 15 miles wide, 3 miles long and about 600 feet thick. The plume's core is 1,100 to 1,300 meters below the surface, they said.

"It's an infusion of oil and gas unlike anything else that has ever been seen anywhere, certainly in human history," said Samantha Joye of the University of Georgia, the expedition leader.

Bacteria are breaking down the oil's hydrocarbons in a massive, microorganism feeding frenzy that has sent oxygen levels plunging close to what is considered "dead zone" conditions, at which most marine life are smothered for a lack of dissolved oxygen."

"BP CEO Tony Hayward had disputed the presence of plumes, saying on June 6 that there was "no evidence" of their existence. BP spokesman John Pack said today they would be paying attention to the data that is coming in."

"We will obviously listen to what they have to say," Pack said.

More at: Scientist Awed by Size, Density of Undersea Oil Plume in Gulf

Last edited:

MMDad

Lem Putt

"Vast underwater concentrations of oil sprawling for miles in the Gulf of Mexico from the damaged, crude-belching BP PLC well are unprecedented in "human history" and threaten to wreak havoc on marine life, a team of scientists said today, a finding confirmed for the first time by federal officials.

Researchers aboard the F.G. Walton Smith vessel briefed reporters on a two-week cruise in which they traced an underwater oil plum 15 miles wide, 3 miles long and about 600 feet thick. The plume's core is 1,100 to 1,300 meters below the surface, they said.

"It's an infusion of oil and gas unlike anything else that has ever been seen anywhere, certainly in human history," said Samantha Joye of the University of Georgia, the expedition leader.

Bacteria are breaking down the oil's hydrocarbons in a massive, microorganism feeding frenzy that has sent oxygen levels plunging close to what is considered "dead zone" conditions, at which most marine life are smothered for a lack of dissolved oxygen."

More at: Scientist Awed by Size, Density of Undersea Oil Plume in Gulf

No kidding? Is this what Obama has been waiting on? He needed experts to tell him that a massive oil leak under water would mean that oil is getting into the water?

I guess I can see now why he has taken so long to do anything. It's not like he could have known that there was oil getting into the water. It's a plausible excuse - it's not like anyone can really accuse him of understanding anything about energy.

ImnoMensa

No kidding? Is this what Obama has been waiting on? He needed experts to tell him that a massive oil leak under water would mean that oil is getting into the water?

I guess I can see now why he has taken so long to do anything. It's not like he could have known that there was oil getting into the water. It's a plausible excuse - it's not like anyone can really accuse him of understanding anything about energy.

I am simply surprised that scientists are surprised. I thought they knew everything.

They know about Global Warming and Carbon being poison, I just figured surely they knew what made the oil pool underwater.

Toxick

Splat
The second angel sounded, and something like a great mountain burning with fire was thrown into the sea; and a third of the sea became blood

Revelation 8:8

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

America awed by lack of action and leadership shown by president Obama.

But to be fair, he has played golf, attended fund raisers, had dinner with Paul McCartney since the spill started. I thought for sure that firing the white woman would stop the leak.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever

Duh, time to find new scientists. Since Obama is not using college level experts, maybe they are coming from the group of third grade scientists.