Qb

Larry Gude

Strung Out
We all ready have him...

...25 year old Partick Ramsey. He's got Sonny's arm, IE he can throw deep and put touch on the short ones and Sonnys courage to make the throw.

OMYGAWD!!!!!!

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
And unless the offensive line learns how to throw a block, his body will be as badly torn up as Sonny's is. I hope Joe Gibbs really does come back and gets some top notch assistants around him too.

It's almost enough hope to make me back into a Redskins fan.

mainman

Set Trippin
Originally posted by tlatchaw
And unless the offensive line learns how to throw a block, his body will be as badly torn up as Sonny's is. I hope Joe Gibbs really does come back and gets some top notch assistants around him too.

It's almost enough hope to make me back into a Redskins fan.
:yay: Totally agree, I noticed hes already announced his defensive cord. Greg Williams from Buffalo...

willie

Re: We all ready have him...

Originally posted by Larry Gude
...25 year old Partick Ramsey. He's got Sonny's arm, IE he can throw deep and put touch on the short ones and Sonnys courage to make the throw.

OMYGAWD!!!!!!
Patrick Ramsey scrambles like a paraplegic. He won't be here long.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I hope they get someone else other than just Ramsey. That boy gets scared into calling an audible way too quick. Maybe if the "Coach" doesn't give him that power he can produce, otherwise it will be more of the same where the O line turns around and says "WTF" before every snap.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Oh I totally disagree...

...the key to Spurriers offense in college was the audible and he expected Ramsey to do it.

He used to get livid on the sidelines if the QB didn't recognize the defensive set and change the play. His whole theory is to find a play that will beat the given defense.

Most of it was designed around hitting a wide open space that a zone must give you or to beat a guy one on one. Ramsey was doing fine as far as what Spurrier wanted him to do.

It worked fine in college for two reason:

1. He typically had better atheletes as Florida is one of the big time schools

2. He typically had guys like Weurffel who were smart enough to make the audibles and good enough to get the ball there.

It hasn't worked so well in the pros because...

1. The talent disparity is not there

2. Defenses are very complex. Ramsey used to get faked out into calling the wrong play all the time. It's a dicey system in the pros.

Gibbs and most great (successful) NFL coaches were all about dictating, not reacting, to defenses. Get you on your heels with a physical running game then go play action deep or a short control or possession pass. Then run you to death if they have a lead in the second half.

Pat Ramsey is about to have a Pro Bowl season for several reasons:

1. Pass protection is dictated by Gibbs style. No more of the guess work and audibles that lead to our running backs being confused and missing blitzes.

2. Play action. We WILL have a running game and that leads to play action which keeps Patricks upright.

3. Quick possession routes.

Notice how when Spurrier had to cut most of his offense for Hasselback that all of a sudden the ball was gone in three steps and sometimes he looked pretty good?

Samuels and Janzen didn't suddenly lose talent. Spurriers base offense probably will never work in the NFL and they were asked to do things that put hem in a position where their talent was diluted by schemes pretty much doomed by excellent defenses.

Let them pound on people 35-40 times a game running and you'll see their pass blocking get magically better. Again, quicker routes, max protection, play action off the run.

If he doesn't get hurt, Patrick will be in Hawaii.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Re: Re: We all ready have him...

Originally posted by willie
Patrick Ramsey scrambles like a paraplegic. He won't be here long.

Oh yeah....now I recall two tremendous scramblers Gibbs coached...ah..it's coming to me. Yes, Mark Rypien...Doug Williams.. Scrambled their way through the SuperBowl right on to Disney World. :killingme

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ot...

...I'm ####ing myself. It is absurd how excited I am about this. Absolutely juvenile.

Bill Parcells took a 5 and 11 three years in a row team and put them in the playoffs with a QB and a RB who would be no more than back ups on any other team and the O line needs rebuilding.

Nobody thought Dallas was particularly under-performing before he got there. The defense was good and that's it.

Coaching and leadership.

Vermeil took a perenially mediocre group of Rams and won a Super Bowl with a kid, Warner, who couldn't get a job with anybody and has fallen off since Dick left. Faulks production has fallen as well.

Coaching and leadership.

The Redskins are the NFL Poster Boys for under-performing Norvs last year and both of Spurriers.

Coaching and leadership.

Anyone wanna tell me that Joe Gibbs will have LESS success than those two guys? Anyone wanna bet against him having more???
Maybe the players just won't go for it?

We still need two tackles, a rush end, a TE and Corry Dillon.

Otter

Nothing to see here
I can't agree about Dillon, Cinncinati was finally turning it around this year and he's shooting his mouth off about wanting to leave. Hell of a talent, but I don't want an "all about me" running back.

I'm ####ing myself. It is absurd how excited I am about this. Absolutely juvenile.

I keep thinking Im dreaming..:lmao:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Re: Deuce Staley...

Staley would be a good fit, I think. I haven't completely given up on Ladell Betts, but have concerns about him staying healthy. Also, there's a kid that is coming out of Oregon or Oregon State as a junior, Steve Jackson(?), that has size and speed. As for Chris Perry, I am always leery of Michigan running backs. Regardless of whether they get someone or not, Gibbs has always used his players in a way that puts them in the best position to make plays.

Still can't get over this...Can't wait for July to get here now..

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Deuce Staley...

Originally posted by otter
Regardless of whether they get someone or not, Gibbs has always used his players in a way that puts them in the best position to make plays.
You're right there. I remember Gibbs winning when he wasn't supposed to, based on player strength. He knows how to get the best from his players. Might be an intersting change in DC. At least they've got a leader with NFL experience and the record to prove it. If the guys on the roster play as a team, like Gibbs has a habit of producing, Washington will become tough. Can't wait to see him can the Tuna.