Your Medical Records Are up for Grabs

TrueBlue

Does anyone see this as a good thing?

From CBS News:
==========================

The United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has eliminated the requirement to get your consent to release your medical records.

"All medical records will be treated as if they are government property, not individual property," says Dr. Deborah Peel, past president of the National Coalition of Mental Health Professionals and Consumers. And the scariest part is that you'll never know who requested your records or why - and there will be little you or your doctor can do to stop it.”

Until now, no one could access your personal health information without your written consent. However, on Aug. 9, the Bush administration announced it has revised the medical privacy rule to the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).

According to HHS, effective April 2003, "key health care players" will now have the "regulatory permission" to use and disclose all your personal medical and mental health treatment information in order to "facilitate" your medical treatment.

<snip>

...the new rule does not prevent government or the medical industry from compiling and sharing an individual's personal health information - including genetic information - without the individual's permission.

MORE...
http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/sto...-4B7A-9D2B-4B1F4A5AEA2D}&siteid=mktw&dist=nbi

Last edited:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Until now, no one could access your personal health information without your written consent.

That's not true, Insurance Companies have always been able to access your personal health information and medical records without your consent. They do it frequently. I'd like to see the exact wording of this "medical health rule".

SxyPrincess

I don't have a problem with someone having access to my personal health information. Maybe it could be used for some medical "growth." :confused:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I think this is a good thing. Years ago I worked for a radiology office. Not having to have patients sign consent forms, office staff having to fax them, playing the waiting game, in my opinion will make dr's offices a little more efficient. Unless you've been there you'd never beileve the amount of time it takes to get medical records.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I just think it matter who is accessing them. I think if its a doctors office or insurance company then thats fine, but if employers and just anyone can see what medicine I am taking or whether or not I passed my last pap smear, thats a little too far. Some things should be held between you and your doctor.

SxyPrincess

Originally posted by jeneisen
Some things should be held between you and your doctor.

Do you realize just how many hands your "personal" file touches while at the doctor's office. I know that when I go, there is a minimum of 3 people able to view my file and even my daughter's file. Two of those people are front/back desk secretary's.

I have friends in the medical field and I've heard stories AND names. :really:

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Yes, but they are "supposed" to keep information confidential if the work there. I don't think anyone like my job or friends should be able to access that stuff. If they work there, then of course they have access to it, but just like working for the government, if you handle classified information for them, you are obligated to keep that to yourself or you can be severly punished.