PDA

View Full Version : MEMA on alert as Earl may make direct hit in MD

Pages : [1] 2

raven
08-31-2010, 09:46 AM
The Maryland Emergency Management Agency (http://www.mema.state.md.us/MEMA/index.jsp)

Looks like a good time to go surf on the bay!:yahoo:

DEEKAYPEE8569
08-31-2010, 09:49 AM
The Maryland Emergency Management Agency (http://www.mema.state.md.us/MEMA/index.jsp)

The last time I saw the news this morning, projected track was off the Carolina coast. Wasn't it? Or has it moved closer to us?

I found this on weather.com:
Hurricane Earl - weather.com (http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/tropical-depression-seven-storm-hurricane-earl_2010-08-23)

Hmmmm.....

cattitude
08-31-2010, 09:50 AM
Good Lord. ANOTHER tread.

RareBreed
08-31-2010, 09:51 AM
My mom cracked me up this morning. Said the Earl was suppose to hit land around Cape Headrest. She meant Cape Hatteras. :killingme

ICit
08-31-2010, 09:51 AM
Good Lord. ANOTHER tread.

:popcorn: :buddies:

raven
08-31-2010, 10:01 AM
The last time I saw the news this morning, projected track was off the Carolina coast. Wasn't it? Or has it moved closer to us?

I found this on weather.com:
Hurricane Earl - weather.com (http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/tropical-depression-seven-storm-hurricane-earl_2010-08-23)

Hmmmm.....

It's going to hit the east coast because Earl doesn't have anywere else to go but along the land and up the coast.

Gilligan
08-31-2010, 10:02 AM
It's going to hit the east coast because Earl doesn't have anywere else to go but along the land and up the coast.

Huh?

cattitude
08-31-2010, 10:03 AM

Atlantic Oshun :yay:

raven
08-31-2010, 10:13 AM
Atlantic Oshun :yay:

Not going to happen.:popcorn:

kwillia
08-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Not going to happen.:popcorn:

There isn't even 1 projected model that shows it even remotely affecting our area... are you saying you are psychic...:popcorn:

cattitude
08-31-2010, 10:16 AM
There isn't even 1 projected model that shows it even remotely affecting our area... are you saying you are psychic...:popcorn:

Did you look at the link? :lol: "Hurricane Earl COULD....."

kwillia
08-31-2010, 10:19 AM
Did you look at the link? :lol: "Hurricane Earl COULD....."

Oh! Gotcha... just like how every day I buy scratch-offs and lottery tickets because I COULD be the lucky winner! :yahoo:

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 10:23 AM

You don't know much about hurricanes do you? It is a LOT bigger than the little dot on the weather map. Center of the cone of probability is roughly 250 miles Offshore of MD. The hurricane is currently 575 - 650 miles across, or big enough to cover the state of Florida. IF it moves down the center of the cone, which is unlikely, that places us under TS force conditions... If it comes west in the cone, which it has been creeping toward the last 3 days, we get more...

We are currently in the high20% low 30% TS wind band on the NHC site.

How can you not be aware of this? :confused

kwillia
08-31-2010, 10:26 AM
How can you not be aware of this? :confused
I'm completely aware of this... how can you assume because I refuse to get spun up over it at this point based on current model projections that I'm not aware of the possibilities...:confused:

cattitude
08-31-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm completely aware of this... how can you assume because I refuse to get spun up over it at this point based on current model projections that I'm not aware of the possibilities...:confused:

:cds: :cds:

Gilligan
I'm completely aware of this... how can you assume because I refuse to get spun up over it at this point that I'm now aware of the possibilities...:confused:

x2. Winds topping out around 40 kts..maybe..clocking from north to west, thus driving the water OUT of the bay and river.

Big woop..a northeaster slammed my shoreline far worse than that last winter.

Now you show me a hurricane or TS on a track that looks like Isabel's or Ernesto's did and I'll start getting my boxers in a wad then.

TurboK9
Wind zones for the next 120 hours (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/085331.shtml?tswind120?large#contents)

Beyond 12 hours this map is based on the hurricane center the center of the 'cone', following the exact predicted path.

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 10:31 AM

Spun up? You said it wouldn't effect us at all (remotely?). If we get 25 MPH gusts and rain, it is effecting us isn't it? If it follows the projected path we WILL get rainbands. That means it WILL effect us.

You are aware that rainbands bring rain, gusty conditions, and quite often spawn tornadoes, yes?

SoccerMom2
08-31-2010, 10:33 AM
So when should i mow my lawn?

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 10:34 AM

Friday. Apparently it'll be sunny and dry. :shrug:

:lmao:

cattitude
08-31-2010, 10:36 AM
x2. Winds topping out around 40 kts..maybe..clocking from north to west, thus driving the water OUT of the bay and river.

Now you show me a hurricane or TS on a track that looks like Isabel's or Ernesto's did and I'll start getting my boxers in a wad then.

'zactly...the east side of the hurricane is the worst.

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 10:37 AM

Jeebus frickin' xmas.

Nobody is saying to :jameo:

At least I'm not.

Just be paying attention just in case.

:shrug:

I'd hate for this thing to pull a 'Charley' and go all 'Punta Gorda' on your ass... :killingme

kwillia
08-31-2010, 10:41 AM
I'd hate for this thing to pull a 'Charley' and go all 'Punta Gorda' on your ass... :killingme

And if it does... all 2,005,534 of us reading all these treads will be ready for it...:boxing:

ICit
08-31-2010, 10:41 AM
Jeebus frickin' xmas.

Nobody is saying to :jameo:

At least I'm not.

Just be paying attention just in case.

then everyone will be all butthurt when they dont have power, or didnt make it to the store.... because they didnt pay attention:whistle:

but BCP will have a shovel and a hooker :killingme he will be set! (oh and beer, TP and other stuff) :yay:

Gilligan
08-31-2010, 10:51 AM
then everyone will be all butthurt when they dont have power, or didnt make it to the store.... because they didnt pay attention:whistle::

Nah. My generators take ten minutes to bring on line. The propane bottles for the grills and crab cooker are full. The only thing that has me just a might worried is that I'll be heading to Elmer's to pick up my 145# roasting pig around 4 pm Friday afternoon...right about the time that whatever is coming here will be here.

belvak
08-31-2010, 10:52 AM
Nah. My generators take ten minutes to bring on line. The propane bottles for the grills and crab cooker are full. The only thing that has me just a might worried is that I'll be heading to Elmer's to pick up my 145# roasting pig around 4 pm Friday afternoon...right about the time that whatever is coming here will be here.

Maybe you could ask Earl to deliver the pig to you!!

cattitude
08-31-2010, 10:53 AM
then everyone will be all butthurt when they dont have power, or didnt make it to the store.... because they didnt pay attention:whistle:

This is NOT Montgomery County.

kwillia
08-31-2010, 10:54 AM
This is NOT Montgomery County.

You are like butta today...:lol:

cattitude
08-31-2010, 10:59 AM
You are like butta today...:lol:

Those people are driving me insane. I was glancing at the TV this morning..somebody was whining.."I was without electricity for 3 days with the ice storm (after the one in SOMD), then 2 days with Isabel..and then the storms this summer (when a bazillon HUGE trees were pulled up by their roots)...waaaah...waaahh...waaaahh.. At least most of them can still use their toilets and have running water.

Airgasm
08-31-2010, 11:05 AM
:howdy: Bye!

Going to the beach for some surfing, looking to catch that big Kahuna!

Gilligan
08-31-2010, 11:05 AM
2 days without power....*snort* I don't remember exactly, but I think it was 10 or 11 days without for us after Isabel hit and maybe 5 after Ernesto.

All it meant was that beer runs also included 5-gallon fuel cans too.:whistle:

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 11:07 AM
Those people are driving me insane. I was glancing at the TV this morning..somebody was whining.."I was without electricity for 3 days with the ice storm (after the one in SOMD), then 2 days with Isabel..and then the storms this summer (when a bazillon HUGE trees were pulled up by their roots)...waaaah...waaahh...waaaahh.. At least most of them can still use their toilets and have running water.

:killingme

Yeah we were without power or water for 3 weeks after Charley... LOL. Made a 'camping trip' out of it. Except for the lack of AC, it was almost nice what with the candles in the evening, seeing the night sky as God intended, not being distracted from the family by TV and such...

It was awesome in many ways. :yay:

People just like to b*tch about what they don't have rather than cherish what they do have.

otter
08-31-2010, 11:08 AM

racist

ICit
08-31-2010, 11:09 AM

they are just jumping on the band wagon.... if the bigwigs didnt start on PEPCO.... the people wouldnt have gone :crazy:

Dude people... you had big storms... big storms = downed trees = NO POWER!!! get over it.... it happenes :shrug:

it would have happened to us also if we were hit with those storms... the CRE gets hit hard everytime! :coffee: No matter how well they trim the trees away from the lines.

Those poor Linemen were working there butts off day and night to get power back on... and I will be one to say... you will not catch me down in THOSE manholes replacing cable.. (that goes for the time they were burning up and they had power outages for that) Those lines are old and cables fail after a while... they are only rated for about 30 or so years :shrug:

God Bless those Linemen for doing what they do.... such a dangerous job!!!:buddies: :steppingofsoapbox: (sorry):killingme

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 11:09 AM
2 days without power....*snort* I don't remember exactly, but I think it was 10 or 11 days without for us after Isabel hit and maybe 5 after Ernesto.

All it meant was that beer runs also included 5-gallon fuel cans too.:whistle:

Just don't run the generator in the garage or in the house like those dead neighbors... :killingme

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 11:11 AM
they are just jumping on the band wagon.... if the bigwigs didnt start on PEPCO.... the people wouldnt have gone :crazy:

Dude people... you had big storms... big storms = downed trees = NO POWER!!! get over it.... it happenes :shrug:

it would have happened to us also if we were hit with those storms... the CRE gets hit hard everytime! :coffee: No matter how well they trim the trees away from the lines.

Those poor Linemen were working there butts off day and night to get power back on... and I will be one to say... you will not catch me down in THOSE manholes replacing cable.. (that goes for the time they were burning up and they had power outages for that) Those lines are old and cables fail after a while... they are only rated for about 30 or so years :shrug:

God Bless those Linemen for doing what they do.... such a dangerous job!!!:buddies: :steppingofsoapbox: (sorry):killingme

Agreed... but 'poor' linemen? Heck not with all that overtime they weren't!!! :yay:

Gilligan
08-31-2010, 11:12 AM
Just don't run the generator in the garage or in the house like those dead neighbors... :killingme

Kinda hard to do with mine..they are both large mobile units mounted on the back of 4x4 trucks.

But it is amazing that what you posted is actually 'good advice'..good, as in people have been that stupid.

sunflower
08-31-2010, 11:12 AM
Who is Earl?????

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 11:17 AM
Kinda hard to do with mine..they are both large mobile units mounted on the back of 4x4 trucks.

But it is amazing that what you posted is actually 'good advice'..good, as in people have been that stupid.

Isn't that crazy?? Like they think the generators are putting out air....

A family in my mom's subdivision had a close call running theirs in the garage, and then one of the kids left the door into the main house open... neigbors went over to ask for sugar and the family was all CO passed out in the living room. All were saved. :yay:

Um, why do you have multiple 4X4's with multiple generators?

Or are you planning on raiding the public works motorpool?

ICit
08-31-2010, 11:20 AM
Agreed... but 'poor' linemen? Heck not with all that overtime they weren't!!! :yay:

but working in those conditions, extreme heat, 18-20hr days, most of the time not getting a chance to have a sit down meal or a real meal, getting yelled at or harassed because you are not working fast enough!, not sleeping in your bed but in a truck.... not enjoyable at that moment...

oh and then you have Uncle Sam that rapes you in taxes because of the overtime... yep... still sucks... but they deserve the pay for what they do... :yay:

ICit
08-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Who is Earl?????

red_explorer
08-31-2010, 11:23 AM

Yeah we were without power or water for 3 weeks after Charley... LOL. Made a 'camping trip' out of it. Except for the lack of AC, it was almost nice what with the candles in the evening, seeing the night sky as God intended, not being distracted from the family by TV and such...

It was awesome in many ways. :yay:

People just like to b*tch about what they don't have rather than cherish what they do have.

I loved the time after Isabel. Only problem was that my husband couldnt get his sleep machine hooked up to a battery, so we had to buy a generator. Other than that, it was really nice, and peaceful. All the neighbors helped each other out, and checked on each other, and we were on a farm too!!!

MMDad
08-31-2010, 11:25 AM
There isn't even 1 projected model that shows it even remotely affecting our area... are you saying you are psychotic...:popcorn:

:Fixt:

Yes, yes she is.

Pyrotech
08-31-2010, 11:29 AM
:howdy: Bye!

Going to the beach for some surfing, looking to catch that big Kahuna!

bring Scuba gear for the rip currents...:evil:

baby
08-31-2010, 11:29 AM
but working in those conditions, extreme heat, 18-20hr days, most of the time not getting a chance to have a sit down meal or a real meal, getting yelled at or harassed because you are not working fast enough!, not sleeping in your bed but in a truck.... not enjoyable at that moment...

oh and then you have Uncle Sam that rapes you in taxes because of the overtime... yep... still sucks... but they deserve the pay for what they do... :yay:

:buddies::buddies::buddies: True!!! they deserve every dime they make and more. God bless them!!

afjess1989
08-31-2010, 11:38 AM
and their is tropical storm Fiona right behind it and then another one after that lol

kwillia
08-31-2010, 11:43 AM
and their is tropical storm Fiona right behind it and then another one after that lol

I can't believe we don't have any Fiona threads yet...:ohwell:

kom526
08-31-2010, 11:47 AM
You should start a thread...

afjess1989
08-31-2010, 11:49 AM
i just did LMAO! :killingme

kwillia
08-31-2010, 11:51 AM
i just did LMAO! :killingme

K_Jo cracks her own self up too.

awpitt
08-31-2010, 12:13 PM
MEMA on alert as Earl may make direct hit in MD

You're kidding, right?

None of the models show it directly hitting MD.

kwillia
08-31-2010, 12:15 PM
You're kidding, right?

But it could.

afjess1989
08-31-2010, 12:16 PM
You're kidding, right?

i know right.. we would get heavy rain and maybe some power loss but it could change....when it hits the warm waters of the east coast but i dont think so

afjess1989
08-31-2010, 12:17 PM
But it could.

or it COULD NOT

awpitt
08-31-2010, 12:20 PM
But it could.

Well, it COULD directly hit Texas as well but I wouldn't bet on it.

MMDad
08-31-2010, 12:21 PM
You're kidding, right?

Cindy Crawford is, but she's too old and nobody pays attention to her.

afjess1989
08-31-2010, 12:22 PM
Well, it COULD directly hit Texas as well but I wouldn't bet on it.

it COULD hit MEXICO too

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 12:22 PM
or it COULD NOT

Say the 25 people who died when Charley made that sudden turn... :shrug:

The NHC just predicts... they don't actually steer. :yay:

awpitt
08-31-2010, 12:23 PM
i know right.. we would get heavy rain and maybe some power loss but it could change....when it hits the warm waters of the east coast but i dont think soIt'll hit the warmest waters around The Bahamas so we'll see what happens after that plus the high pressure that's supposed to move across the north will have an impact on when Earl curves out to sea. All of the various models should start to narrow a bit by Wednesday evening into Thursday morning. Then we'll know for sure.

awpitt
08-31-2010, 12:26 PM
Cindy Crawford is, but she's too old and nobody pays attention to her.

:lol:

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 12:27 PM
It'll hit the warmest waters around The Bahamas so we'll see what happens after that plus the high pressure that's supposed to move across the north will have an impact on when Earl curves out to sea. All of the various models should start to narrow a bit by Wednesday evening into Thursday morning. Then we'll know for sure.

Satellite shows what appears to be an eyewall replacement cycle which can change intensity and course too...

MMDad
All of the various models should start to narrow a bit by Wednesday evening into Thursday morning.

Just the Lane Bryant models? Or all of them? I only ask because too many models are already too narrow.

BernieP
But it could.

This message brought to you by McKay's fine food and drugs where he have all of your impending storm needs. This weeks specials are milk, toilet paper and bread. Come clean our shleves today.

FED_UP
08-31-2010, 12:28 PM
If it for some odd reason it gave us a direct hit, traffic leaving SOMD, espcially St Marys would be a mad house, unless you left early.

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 12:29 PM
If it for some odd reason it gave us a direct hit, traffic leaving SOMD, espcially St Marys would be a mad house, unless you left early.

It could also potentially force the states hand in correcting the TJ bridge problems. :yay:

FED_UP
08-31-2010, 12:30 PM

Can I mow your lawn?

MMDad
08-31-2010, 12:32 PM
It could also potentially force the states hand in correcting the TJ bridge problems. :yay:

Especially if the bridge flooded.

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 12:33 PM
Especially if the bridge flooded.

:yay: My boat is in my driveway so I'm cool with that. :backstroke:

gary_webb
08-31-2010, 01:03 PM
OMG! ArkRescue we need you. Come save us!:jameo:

ICit
08-31-2010, 01:12 PM
:popcorn: :snacks: :roflmao:

afjess1989
08-31-2010, 01:15 PM

if it was still standing after earl passes.

Gilligan
08-31-2010, 01:18 PM

The last time it was closed for a long spell was lots of fun...everybody is probably ready for another round. Maybe we can get a bigger ferry this time.:popcorn:

afjess1989
08-31-2010, 01:19 PM
Hurricane Earl: East Coast threat? (http://www.weather.com/outlook/videos/tropical-update-6584)

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 01:27 PM

If it isn't, they build a new one. Problem solved. :yay: :lmao:

afjess1989
08-31-2010, 01:32 PM
If it isn't, they build a new one. Problem solved. :yay: :lmao:

just spoke with my pops he works for the FAA and he said they arent to worried about Earl They told him that we would just get rain.. and pops says when they are worried about something they run around like chickens with theirs heads cut off..and the air taffic controller people would be flipin out too..

kwillia
08-31-2010, 01:34 PM
just spoke with my pops he works for the FAA and he said they arent to worried about Earl They told him that we would just get rain.. and pops says when they are worried about something they run around like chickens with theirs heads cut off..and the air taffic controller people would be flipin out too..

Good to know.. now on to something we should be seriously worried about...

Your potted plant COULD spontaneously combust and burn your house down! :jameo:

Plant spontaneously combusts, catches house on fire - KAIT-Jonesboro, AR-News, weather, sports, classifieds- (http://www.kait8.com/global/story.asp?s=13069805)

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 01:41 PM

Huh. I wasn't aware that the FAA controlled hurricanes.

:yay:

No offense, but this thing is projected to swing withing 200 miles of our coast, and that's only the center of the track.... it's about 600 miles wide. All it will have to do is jiggle, and we could be seeing 60+ MPH winds instead of <25.

In fact, three days ago the NHC track put it 350 miles out. Now it's crept down to 200. I expect it to keep creeping.

If I'm wrong, I have extra soup and a sharp chain on the chainsaw. :bigwhoop:

Better that than on a tree on my head.

I'll wait and see what happens, and have a plan just in case. :yay:

cattitude
08-31-2010, 01:43 PM

how'd you like them peas?

onel0126
08-31-2010, 01:45 PM

The FAA? We just had 3 near misses in the DC area in the month of August--tell them to stop staring at Earl updates and get their eyes back on the screen!

itsbob
08-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Who is Earl?????

Vern's friend..

"HEY Vern!!"

awpitt
08-31-2010, 02:01 PM

They don't; however, they do react if they think a hurricane is going to seriously impact air trafic.

BernieP
08-31-2010, 02:05 PM
Good to know.. now on to something we should be seriously worried about...

Your potted plant COULD spontaneously combust and burn your house down! :jameo:

Plant spontaneously combusts, catches house on fire - KAIT-Jonesboro, AR-News, weather, sports, classifieds- (http://www.kait8.com/global/story.asp?s=13069805)

did you say potted or pot?

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 02:06 PM
They don't; however, they do react if they think a hurricane is going to seriously impact air trafic.

Do they react if there is a 30 percent chance? 50? 75?

Not at 30%, obviously... Unless 50MPH wind is considered minor by av ops standards.

Bean
08-31-2010, 02:07 PM
Do they react if there is a 30 percent chance? 50? 75?

Not at 30%, obviously... Unless 50MPH wind is considered minor by av ops standards.

Pax River Reporting at 8/31/10 13:56 (COR) Level 3 Storm Conditions

(COR) Level 3 corresponds to a red radar return, indicating heavy precipitation, leading to the possibility of thunderstorms and severe turbulence and serious structural damage to aircraft.

TCCOR 3 - Destructive winds of 50 kts or greater are possible/probable/anticipated within 48 hours.

SoccerMom2
08-31-2010, 02:10 PM

I bet they weren't complaining when they got there electric bill and notice how low it was.

kwillia
08-31-2010, 02:12 PM
The 2 p.m. NOAA track shows it farther from us than the earlier map. Guess that means the front from the west is on track to push it out to sea. So far so good...:yay:

Hurricane EARL (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/100013.shtml?3-daynl?large#contents)

Gilligan
08-31-2010, 02:14 PM
The 2 p.m. NOAA track shows it farther from us than the earlier map. Guess that means the front from the west is on track to push it out to sea. So far so good...:yay:

Hurricane EARL (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/100013.shtml?3-daynl?large#contents)

atta boy Earl! Can't have you messing up my Pig Roast PArty.

:dye:

awpitt
08-31-2010, 02:15 PM

No offense, but this thing is projected to swing withing 200 miles of our coast, and that's only the center of the track.... it's about 600 miles wide. All it will have to do is jiggle, and we could be seeing 60+ MPH winds instead of <25.

In fact, three days ago the NHC track put it 350 miles out. Now it's crept down to 200. I expect it to keep creeping.

If I'm wrong, I have extra soup and a sharp chain on the chainsaw. :bigwhoop:

Better that than on a tree on my head.

I'll wait and see what happens, and have a plan just in case. :yay:

Actually, it's about four hundred miles wide. As of the 2pm update, hurricane force winds extend 70 miles out from the center and tropical storm force winds extend up to 200 miles out from the center.

Baja28
08-31-2010, 02:24 PM
Do they react if there is a 30 percent chance? 50? 75? Not at 30%, obviously... Unless 50MPH wind is considered minor by av ops standards. :shrug:
When in the hell did you become a drama queen?? Jeebus! :lmao:

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 02:25 PM

The edge of the cone was deeper inland before, but the center of the cone is now closer to shore. Keep in mind that the cone narrows as time goes on. :yay:

Baja28
08-31-2010, 02:27 PM

Hurricane EARL (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/100013.shtml?3-daynl?large#contents)Well looky thar! :killingme

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 02:32 PM
When in the hell did you become a drama queen?? Jeebus! :lmao:

I'm just astounded by the amount of people who seem to think a 600 mile wide major hurricane can pass by 200 miles of the coast with NO effect on coastal areas. :shrug:

Heck all I've said is basically 'better safe than sorry' anyway. Am I wrong? Do hurricanes NOT regularly do unpredicted stuff? Is it not pretty likely we'll get TS force winds at a minimum?

That IS (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/145314.shtml?tswind120?large#contents) what the NHC is saying. :shrug:

That's being a drama queen?

Personally I think making a fuss because I'd like to see everyone have their bases covered just in case, is being a drama queen.

Hi all you drama queens!! :razz:

Baja28
08-31-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm just astounded by the amount of people who seem to think a 600 mile wide major hurricane can pass by 200 miles of the coast with NO effect on coastal areas. :shrug:

Heck all I've said is basically 'better safe than sorry' anyway. Am I wrong? Do hurricanes NOT regularly do unpredicted stuff? Is it not pretty likely we'll get TS force winds at a minimum?

That IS (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/145314.shtml?tswind120?large#contents) what the NHC is saying. :shrug:

Personally I think making a fuss because I'd like to see everyone have their bases covered just in case, is being a drama queen.

Hi all you drama queens!! :razz:Ok here ya go. I predict........

We won't even see winds of 40mph. :yay:

Gilligan
08-31-2010, 02:38 PM
Ok here ya go. I predict........

We won't even see winds of 40mph. :yay:

I'll take some of that action..heck..I'll go less than 30, double or nuthin.

:popcorn:

ICit
08-31-2010, 02:40 PM

I know a whole bunch of peeps right now acting like :jameo:
running around like the end is near.... kinda funny if you ask me
:coffee:

all I want to do is get to the store and get the crap I should have picked up yesterday :killingme

kwillia
08-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Actually, it's about four hundred miles wide. As of the 2pm update, hurricane force winds extend 70 miles out from the center and tropical storm force winds extend up to 200 miles out from the center.

So far so good. :shrug:

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 02:41 PM
I'll take some of that action..heck..I'll go less than 30, double or nuthin.

OK. But my point was, it will effect us, not that it will knock over your house. A 25 MPH wind is still effecting us. :shrug: 3" of rain in 4 hours instead of 14" of rain, is still effecting us. Right or wrong?

People have posted that it won't effect us at all. :shrug:

Baja28
08-31-2010, 02:45 PM
OK. But my point was, it will effect us, not that it will knock over your house. A 25 MPH wind is still effecting us. :shrug: 3" of rain in 4 hours instead of 14" of rain, is still effecting us. Right or wrong?

People have posted that it won't effect us at all. :shrug:A 25mph wind will have no effect on us nor will 3-4 inches of rain. Where were you this spring when the wind blew like that all weekend? Hell, I was out in the boat! :shrug:

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 02:46 PM
So far so good. :shrug:

Let me repeat myself... a 25 MPH wind and rain is STILL effecting us. :rolleyes:

Sheesh.

Baja28
08-31-2010, 02:48 PM
Let me repeat myself... a 25 MPH wind and rain is STILL effecting us. :rolleyes: Sheesh.Let me repeat myself... a 25 MPH wind and rain will have no effect on us. :lmao:

Chill out man. :jerry:

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 02:48 PM
A 25mph wind will have no effect on us nor will 3-4 inches of rain. Where were you this spring when the wind blew like that all weekend? Hell, I was out in the boat! :shrug:

*sigh*

Will you get wet? Then you are effected. Dur.

Will your hairpiece need spirit gum to keep from getting blown into the bay? Then you are effected.

It ain't gonna be sunshine and rainbows.

Have a nice weekend.

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 02:49 PM
Let me repeat myself... a 25 MPH wind and rain will have no effect on us. :lmao:

I'm not paniccing?

How about get off my back, man?

Good friggin' gawd.

MMDad
08-31-2010, 02:49 PM
with NO effect on coastal areas.

No effect? So if we see a single raindrop you can come back here and say "I told you so! The sky is falling!"

How about "no effect worthy of freaking out about."

We COULD have a major earthquake. We COULD have an ice storm this weekend. The mere possibility is not worthy of the 75 threads and the major freakout.

GWguy
08-31-2010, 02:50 PM
Just a little tidbit... saw the weather report at lunchtime. There is a high pressure system moving in from Ohio/Illinois which is what they HOPE will keep the hurricane off the coast. However, that high pressure front has slowed down, which is why they keep changing the predicted track. If that front stalls (unlikely) the storm has a good chance of moving further west and inland.

kom526
08-31-2010, 02:52 PM
Let me repeat myself... a 25 MPH wind and rain will have no effect on us. :lmao:

It'll mess your hair up! That's an effect isn't it?!?!

HalfAngel
08-31-2010, 02:52 PM
Ok - so predict this:

My MIL is in the OBX and we're supposed to be joining them after my daughter gets off the bus on Friday. IF they were to be evacuated, we would not go, of course.

Will we see the ocean this Labor Day weekend???

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 03:00 PM
Just a little tidbit... saw the weather report at lunchtime. There is a high pressure system moving in from Ohio/Illinois which is what they HOPE will keep the hurricane off the coast. However, that high pressure front has slowed down, which is why they keep changing the predicted track. If that front stalls (unlikely) the storm has a good chance of moving further west and inland.

OMFG. All I've been saying is, you can't expect this thing to go dead down the center of todays track, be prepared... just in case.

And all these tards are like :blahblah the weatherman says :blahblah.

Sh*t changes fast people.

So nothing happens, it moves further off shore, fine, I have bottled water and canned food I won't use for a while. :shrug:

But if it does come inland..

I just would hate to see any of you begging for water because you were too lazy and trusting of the weather dude to go to the store and buy a couple gallons and a can of soup just in case you need it. :shrug:

Seriously, even the NHC has warnings up about not taking the maps as fact too far in advance.

I mean seriously, WTF??

This whole thread makes my brain sad.

So I guess, ya'all can :buttkiss:.

If I'm 'wrong', no biggy. But if it does come at us, ya'all are going to all :jameo: and :cds: and I'm gonna be :otter: and :popcorn: cuz I have the supplies I need for a decent little hurricane party.

:neener:

kwillia
08-31-2010, 03:01 PM
Ok - so predict this:

My MIL is in the OBX and we're supposed to be joining them after my daughter gets off the bus on Friday. IF they were to be evacuated, we would not go, of course.

Where's that dayum Magic-8 ball when you need it...:frown:

Bay_Kat
Ok - so predict this:

After that, tracking maps show Earl turning northwest, putting the Outer Banks of North Carolina in its cone of uncertainty for late Thursday or early Friday. Earl is forecast to be a Category 3 storm by then -- still a major hurricane. A five-day tracking map show Earl could near Cape Cod, Massachusetts, as a Category 2 storm on Saturday.

Well, here's another prediction from CNN.

Hurricane Earl could take aim at Carolinas by Friday - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/31/tropical.weather/index.html?hpt=T2)

kwillia

We all understand that... but so far... so good.

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 03:03 PM

If you have a hot date.

Would you want to golf if it was pouring? Or hold your wedding reception outside?

Those things are effects. OK, yeah, some people would still golf... :lmao:

GWguy
08-31-2010, 03:03 PM
but so far... so good.

:lmao: How many more times you gonna post that?? Oh, and you forgot to post the link with it....

:huggy:

kwillia
08-31-2010, 03:05 PM
:lmao: How many more times you gonna post that?? Oh, and you forgot to post the link with it....

:huggy:
:poke:

kom526
08-31-2010, 03:05 PM
I want to hear what Jackie here has to say ... actually I'll just mute and watch :yay:

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 03:07 PM
Hurricane Earl could take aim at Carolinas by Friday - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/31/tropical.weather/index.html?hpt=T2)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Over the weekend, hundreds of rescues took place in Maryland and elsewhere because of rip currents spawned by then-Hurricane Danielle, which stayed well offshore[\QUOTE]

I'd say those people were effected! And it didn't even rain!

Baja28
Not MY hair. :lmao:

ftcret
W is to blame ... :cds:

Bean
08-31-2010, 03:09 PM
Hurricane Earl could take aim at Carolinas by Friday - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/31/tropical.weather/index.html?hpt=T2)

Over the weekend, hundreds of rescues took place in Maryland and elsewhere because of rip currents spawned by then-Hurricane Danielle, which stayed well offshore[\QUOTE]

I'd say those people were effected! And it didn't even rain!

500 Rescues in Ocean City MD.

raven
08-31-2010, 03:09 PM

Just in case.

Shelter Locations

Status
City

Closed Leonardtown High School
23995 Point Lookout Road
Leonardtown

Closed Chopticon High School
25390 Colton Point Road
Morganza

Closed Great Mills High School
21130 Great Mills Road
Great Mills

Closed Animal Shelter- Fairgrounds
42455 Fairgrounds Road
Leonardtown

If the shelters reach capacity St. Mary’s County can use additional Schools for sheltering. The shelters used will be broadcast through the use of media outlets and added here.

Sandbag Locations
Convenience Centers - Sandbag Fact Sheet - PDF

Status

Closed Charlotte Hall
Off MD Rte 6 (New Market Turner Rd.) in the northern end of the County, approximately ¼ mile east of the intersection with MD Rte 5 (Point Lookout Rd.) on the left-hand side.

Closed Oakville
Off MD Rte 235 (Three Notch Rd.) on MD Rte 472 (N. Sandgates Rd.), approximately ¾ mile east of that intersection on the right.

Closed Clements
Off MD Rte 234 (Budds Creek Rd.), on Horseshoe Rd, approximately ¾ mile west of that intersection.

Closed St. Andrews
Off MD Rte 4 (St. Andrew’s Church Rd.) in the center of the County, approximately ½ mile south of the intersection with MD 235 (Three Notch Rd.) on the left-hand side.

Closed Valley Lee
Off MD Rte 249 (Piney Point Rd.), on Happyland Road, approximately 1 mile east of the intersection.

Closed Ridge
Off MD Rte 5 (Point Lookout Rd.) in the southern end of the County, approximately 2 miles north of the intersection with MD Route 235 (Three Notch Rd.).

Bottled Water, Dry Ice, Commodities
Fire & Rescue / Convenience Centers

Status

Closed Charlotte Hall
Off MD Rte 6 (New Market Turner Rd.) in the northern end of the County, approximately ¼ mile east of the intersection with MD Rte 5 (Point Lookout Rd.) on the left-hand side.

Closed Oakville
Off MD Rte 235 (Three Notch Rd.) on MD Rte 472 (N. Sandgates Rd.), approximately ¾ mile east of that intersection on the right.

Closed Clements
Off MD Rte 234 (Budds Creek Rd.), on Horseshoe Rd, approximately ¾ mile west of that intersection.

Closed St. Andrews
Off MD Rte 4 (St. Andrew’s Church Rd.) in the center of the County, approximately ½ mile south of the intersection with MD 235 (Three Notch Rd.) on the left-hand side.

Closed Valley Lee
Off MD Rte 249 (Piney Point Rd.), on Happyland Road, approximately 1 mile east of the intersection.

Closed Ridge
Off MD Rte 5 (Point Lookout Rd.) in the southern end of the County, approximately 2 miles north of the intersection with MD Route 235 (Three Notch Rd.).

Closed Leonardtown VFD Department (Co. 1)
22733 Lawrence Avenue, Leonardtown

Closed Mechanicsville VFD (Co. 2/22)
28165 Hills Club Rd, Mechanicsville
29848 Theresa Circle, Mechanicsville

Closed Bay District VFD (Co. 3 & 9)
46900 S. Shangri-La Dr., Lexington Park
45744 Fire Department Ln., Lexington Park

Closed Ridge VFD (Co. 4)
13820 Point Lookout Rd., Ridge

Closed Seventh District VFD (Co. 5)
21660 Colton’s Point Rd., Avenue

Closed Second District VFD/VRS (Co. 6)
45245 Drayden Rd., Valley Lee

Closed Hollywood VFD (Co. 7)
24801 Three Notch Rd., Hollywood

Closed Leonardtown VRS (Co. 19)
22855 Lawrence Ave., Leonardtown

Closed Mechanicsville VRS (Co. 29)
28120 Old Flora Corner Rd. Mechanicsville

Closed Lexington Park VRS (Co. 39)
21633 Great Mills Rd., Lexington Park

Closed Ridge VRS (Co. 49)
16515 Three Notch Rd., Ridge

Closed Seventh District VRS (Co. 59)
21530 Colton’s Point Rd. Avenue

Closed Hollywood VRS (Co. 79)
43256 Rescue Ln. Hollywood

Disaster Recovery Center

Status
City

Closed St. Mary’s County Airport
44200 Airport Rd.
California

Baja28
08-31-2010, 03:10 PM
I am one of the biggest idiots to ever walk the planet.Boy I'll say. :yay:

Gilligan
08-31-2010, 03:12 PM
I'll stay put like all previous hurricanes on the island. Those mobile Red Cross kitchens put out some tasty food and I like not having to do any cooking.

Bean
08-31-2010, 03:14 PM
Nice visual on how big this storm is:

FOXNews.com - Hurricane Earl As the Astronauts See It (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/08/31/hurricane-earl-photographed-space-astronaut/)

onel0126
08-31-2010, 03:15 PM
My biggest fear is not whether Earl will hit Maryland--it's that the cleanup effort will be led by Marty. :whistle:

Gilligan
08-31-2010, 03:20 PM
My biggest fear is not whether Earl will hit Maryland--it's that the cleanup effort will be led by Marty. :whistle:

couldn't be any worse than '03 or '06. The state and FEMA both did nothing on the island; the residents cleaned up most of it and the hard-working fellers from Pike (alabama) rolled in to take care of the rest.

kwillia
08-31-2010, 03:22 PM
Nice visual on how big this storm is:

FOXNews.com - Hurricane Earl As the Astronauts See It (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/08/31/hurricane-earl-photographed-space-astronaut/)

Beautiful!

Cowgirl
08-31-2010, 03:22 PM
I can't figure out which is more entertaining- these hurricane threads or the boyfriend thread.

TigerTeacher
08-31-2010, 03:29 PM
Path

migtig
08-31-2010, 03:30 PM
I can't figure out which is more entertaining- these hurricane threads or the boyfriend thread.

The boyfriend tread, by a slim margin.

afjess1989
08-31-2010, 03:31 PM

what boyfriend thread i wanna read it.

kom526
08-31-2010, 03:46 PM
I want to hear what Jackie here has to say ... actually I'll just mute and watch :yay:

0MWBn8ShCGE&feature

awpitt
08-31-2010, 03:49 PM

We're not talking about a 600 mile wide hurricane. As NOAA said at 2pm, hurricane force winds extend 70 miles from the center and tropical storm force winds extend up to 200 miles from the center. So if Earl comes to within 200 miles of SoMD, we might see winds of 39-48mph which we aleady experince several time a year during regular storms.

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 04:07 PM
We're not talking about a 600 mile wide hurricane. As NOAA said at 2pm, hurricane force winds extend 70 miles from the center and tropical storm force winds extend up to 200 miles from the center. So if Earl comes to within 200 miles of SoMD, we might see winds of 39-48mph which we aleady experince several time a year during regular storms.

Did you bother to check the link? There is a decent chance we could get TS wind. :shrug:

And you'll be out there grilling and picnicking in the middle of it I suppose, even if it's just 30-45 MPH....

No effect and all. :rolleyes:

kwillia
08-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Did you bother to check the link? There is a decent chance we could get TS wind. :shrug:

And you'll be out there grilling and picnicking in the middle of it I suppose, even if it's just 30-45 MPH....

So far so good...:shrug:

MrZ06
08-31-2010, 04:19 PM
I am gona go talk to my meteorologist buddy on base. He always knows the real deal about the storms coming in.

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 04:23 PM
So far so good...:shrug:

I can make a map too!! Funny, that's only through thursday night...

MMDad
08-31-2010, 04:33 PM

Thanks. I needed that.

kom526
08-31-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks. I needed that.

afjess1989
08-31-2010, 04:39 PM
I can make a map too!! Funny, that's only through thursday night...

it says 10% for somd am i seeing that right?

afjess1989
08-31-2010, 04:44 PM
Hurricane earl's eye is coming back and hurricane force winds extend 100 miles from the eye

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 04:47 PM
it says 10% for somd am i seeing that right?

High teens to 20%. They update this every 12 hours, and it is based on the track center at the point it is made.

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 04:48 PM
Hurricane earl's eye is coming back and hurricane force winds extend 100 miles from the eye

Yeah it did an eyewall collapse and regen. They often pick up speed and or 'wobble' when that happens, like Wilma did.

Wilma was crazy :lmao:

afjess1989
08-31-2010, 04:49 PM
High teens to 20%. They update this every 12 hours, and it is based on the track center at the point it is made.

well WTC said that it could go more inland because of the warmer waters which is about 83 to 86 on their map.

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 04:56 PM
well WTC said that it could go more inland because of the warmer waters which is about 83 to 86 on their map.

Nobody really knows what it's gonna do, besides a bit west, then NW, then N, then NE.... Nobody knows the details really. All they can really do is guess.

They don't explain that on the weather here... they show the track on TV like it is a known fact. Down in FL they explain the uncertainty, what the cone means (like there is on a 60-70% probability the 'cane will even stay inside it, let alone in the center), etc.

Where is it gonna go? Nobody really knows for certain. :shrug:

afjess1989
08-31-2010, 05:01 PM
Nobody really knows what it's gonna do, besides a bit west, then NW, then N, then NE.... Nobody knows the details really. All they can really do is guess.

They don't explain that on the weather here... they show the track on TV like it is a known fact. Down in FL they explain the uncertainty, what the cone means (like there is on a 60-70% probability the 'cane will even stay inside it, let alone in the center), etc.

Where is it gonna go? Nobody really knows for certain. :shrug:

it just shifted west!

Bay_Kat
08-31-2010, 05:06 PM
Look on the bright side.

AccuWeather.com - Weather News | Earl Will Help Break East Heat Wave (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/36432/east-heat-wave-will-break-this.asp)

Gilligan
08-31-2010, 05:15 PM
it just shifted west!

poop. It has indeed.

If it a) messes up my pig roast again a la 2006 and b) causes me to lose bet with Turbo..I am really gonna be pissed off.:killingme

kom526
08-31-2010, 05:32 PM
WZdbsuzbCek&feature

my-thyme
08-31-2010, 05:36 PM
My then-early-20's sons were both living on the Gulf coast when Katrina made her swoop (one right in New Orleans). They were so used to the "here comes a hurricane" in St Mary's County that they completely ignored all the warnings.

When I looked at the Weather Channel 2 days before landfall and saw it taking up the entire Gulf, I told them to get their butts out of there. Good thing they listened (for once!).

my-thyme
08-31-2010, 05:42 PM
America

Hurricane
Written by Dan Peek, ©1977
Found on "Harbor"

Sailin' down the coast of Mexico
With a person I loved since long ago
Into a place nobody wants to go

Into a hurricane
Whoa, hurricane
Some'll be taken
Some'll remain

Heard people screamin' and the sky was torn
I looked around and the faces were so forlorn
No relief, only scorn

In a hurricane
In a hurricane
Some'll be taken
Some'll remain

Hurricane's just another name
For the torment in a man's soul
His mind is gone
And he starts to lose control

In a hurricane
Oh, the hurricane
Some'll be taken
Some'll remain

How long will the wind blow?
Everybody talks; nobody really knows
Shoo-ba-ree-ba, shoo-ba-ree-ba
Nobody knows

Everybody talks; nobody really knows
Shoo-ba-ree-ba, shoo-ba-ree-ba ...

toppick08
08-31-2010, 05:49 PM
Went through Andrew's aftermath...., not pretty...... Katrina, (well, that's a special one in the heart of me of what it did to family and friends and places).......and Camille.......oh my, that changed a lot of peeps in my family and beyond......that was truly the big girl.

ginwoman
08-31-2010, 06:35 PM
My mom cracked me up this morning. Said the Earl was suppose to hit land around Cape Headrest. She meant Cape Hatteras. :killingme

Well that was pretty darn close! :howdy:

chernmax
08-31-2010, 06:51 PM
0MWBn8ShCGE&feature

Holy sh!t how the hell do they expect men to know what the forcast is??? :killingme

awpitt
08-31-2010, 07:24 PM

I only check NOAA. That's where all the weather guessers get their info. Don't know if I'll be grill'n or not but when I was stationed on the Gulf Coast, we used to have hurricane parties all the time. 40-50mph winds are not the end of the world.

MMDad
08-31-2010, 07:26 PM

9% chance. You call that decent?

There's a 10% chance of rain tonight. Are your panties in a wad over that too?

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 07:29 PM
9% chance. You call that decent?

There's a 10% chance of rain tonight. Are your panties in a wad over that too?

Uh, I'm not the one with my panties in a wad? :killingme

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 07:33 PM
I only check NOAA. That's where all the weather guessers get their info. Don't know if I'll be grill'n or not but when I was stationed on the Gulf Coast, we used to have hurricane parties all the time. 40-50mph winds are not the end of the world.

:confused: I don't believe I said they were?

And yes, hurricane parties are fun.... I have to wonder how long you were stationed in the gulf though... "all the time" hardly sounds realistic.

awpitt
08-31-2010, 09:49 PM
:confused: I don't believe I said they were?

You didn't have to.

And yes, hurricane parties are fun.... I have to wonder how long you were stationed in the gulf though... "all the time" hardly sounds realistic.

I was in 'goula long enough to ride out several storms including experiencing the eye of Hurricane Elena during Labor Day weekend in '85.

kom526
08-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Oops, wrong storm. Carry on...
LuhbU3AQ_qw

TurboK9
08-31-2010, 11:06 PM
You didn't have to.

Because you felt obligated to put words in my proverbial mouth. Gotcha. I myself took direct hits when I lived in FL. I know very well that TS and below is 'mild'. It can however, as you know, knock out power and in low lying areas the rain can cause flooding. Heck we loose power from small thunderstorms around here. So what's the issue with being prepared for that?

I was in 'goula long enough to ride out several storms including experiencing the eye of Hurricane Elena during Labor Day weekend in '85.
Than you should know better than to assume that this thing is gonna pass by with a whimper based on a 72 hour track. :shrug:

Seriously. Why are you jumping up on me for saying this might just make a mess for us? What the heck is so wrong about that? :shrug:

awpitt
09-01-2010, 06:35 AM
Because you felt obligated to put words in my proverbial mouth. Gotcha. I myself took direct hits when I lived in FL. I know very well that TS and below is 'mild'. It can however, as you know, knock out power and in low lying areas the rain can cause flooding. Heck we loose power from small thunderstorms around here. So what's the issue with being prepared for that?

No Gotchas here, sorry. I have no issues with being prepared as I keep prepared for things like this even when there aren't storms out there. What's the signs on base say? "Be Prepared... Make a plan.... Make a kit...." Something along those lines? Well, I actually do that so I don't have to flip out when the time comes for hurricanes, snow, etc.

Than you should know better than to assume that this thing is gonna pass by with a whimper based on a 72 hour track. :shrug:I've made no such assumption. I commented based on NOAA's info at the time as that was the basis of the debate. I also posted that there won't be any good predictions until late late Wednesday into Thursday.

Baja28
09-01-2010, 06:43 AM
Heard the weather forcast this am. Ok here's the "effect" it's going to have on us.

Friday: Cloudy & breezy. Earl will push the temps down to around 90 :cds: :killingme

Hey Raven you moron. Maybe you sould post those shelters again in another 2-3 threads! :killingme

Nickel
09-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Ok - so predict this:

Ocracoke Island has been evacuated with a very real possibility of evacuating the northern beaches as well.

awpitt
09-01-2010, 07:30 AM
Ok - so predict this:

Will we see the ocean this Labor Day weekend???Considering that Earl is likely to pass N.C at around 2am on Friday morning, she will be long gone from that region by the time you would arrive to join your MIL Friday evening. By then, the evacs should be called off.

MrX
09-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Latest map!! :jameo:

TurboK9
09-01-2010, 07:40 AM
No Gotchas here, sorry. I have no issues with being prepared as I keep prepared for things like this even when there aren't storms out there. What's the signs on base say? "Be Prepared... Make a plan.... Make a kit...." Something along those lines? Well, I actually do that so I don't have to flip out when the time comes for hurricanes, snow, etc.

I've made no such assumption. I commented based on NOAA's info at the time as that was the basis of the debate. I also posted that there won't be any good predictions until late late Wednesday into Thursday.

So then what is the sarcastic 'end of the world' comment about? :confused:

TurboK9
09-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Latest map!! :jameo:

Didn't you hear? There is absolutely no chance of this storm having any measurable effect on us. :shrug:

:killingme:

TurboK9
09-01-2010, 07:47 AM
Heard the weather forcast this am. Ok here's the "effect" it's going to have on us.

Friday: Cloudy & breezy. Earl will push the temps down to around 90 :cds: :killingme

Hey Raven you moron. Maybe you sould post those shelters again in another 2-3 threads! :killingme

:shelterspam:

awpitt
09-01-2010, 07:57 AM
So then what is the sarcastic 'end of the world' comment about? :confused:It came from what I felt was your overdramatization of what TS force winds mean and your description of Earl as a 600 mile wide hurricane which, according to NOAA, it isn't.

TurboK9
09-01-2010, 08:01 AM
It came from what I felt was your overdramatization of what TS force winds mean and your description of Earl as a 600 mile wide hurricane which, according to NOAA, it isn't.

:shrug: I took that from the visible satellite photograph. The size of the storm is determined by it's size, not to the distance in of TS winds. :shrug: All NOAA said was TS out to 200 from center.

My intent was not to 'overdramatize', sorry if you saw it that way. It was to point out that it was entirely possible for the thing to hit us pretty good. Some posters seemed to think that because 3 days ago the track showed it sever hundred miles off the coast, there was no chance. :shrug:

cattitude
09-01-2010, 08:16 AM
It's just weather. :lol:

RoseRed
09-01-2010, 08:26 AM
It's just weather. :lol:

You would think that someone asked for a tampon.

cattitude
09-01-2010, 08:29 AM

Well, there's a few in this thread that could use 'em. :yay:

RoseRed
09-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Well, there's a few in this thread that could use 'em. :yay:

Agreed.

GWguy
09-01-2010, 08:34 AM

Ew. :lol:

You have to take what the 'weatherperson' says with a big grain of salt. In the end, they have no real idea what will really happen, just guesses based on fail-able computer models. We've been surprised more than a few times.

The other thing I've noticed over the years is that the weather reports very much downplay the possibility of poor weather when it's a holiday weekend. I've seen predictions of clear sunny weather right up to the day of the holiday, and then like magic, it's overcast and possibly raining. If people heard that it might rain, they might be tempted to stay home and not spend those $$, so the reports are a bit less than accurate.

Bean
09-01-2010, 08:34 AM
This morning Pax River sent out an NMCI alert telling all to "Make appropriate plans for Earl in an effort to suffer a few casualties as possible."

Swear to God.

migtig
09-01-2010, 08:41 AM
This morning Pax River sent out an NMCI alert telling all to "Make appropriate plans for Earl in an effort to suffer a few casualties as possible."

Swear to God.
You make it sound worse than it actually sounded by only doing a piece of it.

They only want people to exercise caution and be prepared.

Tropical Cyclone Condition Of Readiness 4 has now been set for NAS Patuxent River, Webster Field and NRC Solomons. This simply means, Hurricane Earl is within 72 hours of making a projected landfall close to our proximity. As of 1400, 31 August 2010, we were directed to set COR 3 which means the same, but places us in a 48 hour timeframe for projected landfall. Please make all preparations at home and in the workplace to ensure we suffer as few casualties as possible for the duration of this storm.

Bean
09-01-2010, 08:44 AM
I wasn't trying to mislead.

Tropical Cyclone Condition Of Readiness 4 has now been set for NAS Patuxent River, Webster Field and NRC Solomons. This simply means, Hurricane Earl is within 72 hours of making a projected landfall close to our proximity. As of 1400, 31 August 2010, we were directed to set COR 3 which means the same, but places us in a 48 hour timeframe for projected landfall. Please make all preparations at home and in the workplace to ensure we suffer as few casualties as possible for the duration of this storm.

Bay_Kat
09-01-2010, 08:44 AM
You make it sound worse than it actually sounded by only doing a piece of it.

They only want people to exercise caution and be prepared.

but still, that part does sound scary.

cattitude
09-01-2010, 08:47 AM

awpitt
09-01-2010, 08:47 AM
:shrug: I took that from the visible satellite photograph. The size of the storm is determined by it's size, not to the distance in of TS winds. :shrug: All NOAA said was TS out to 200 from center.

Actually, hurricanes ARE measured by how far out from the center the TS and hurricane force winds are, not by the cloud cover. With out the TS and hurricane level winds, it's not a named storm. The Sat images show the hurricane along with any other weather systems that are ajacent which makes it look larger than it really is. A lot of the cloud cover that's associated with a hurricane is just that, cloud cover, no rain no winds. Actually makes for some nice weather. Sort of the calm before the storm.

My intent was not to 'overdramatize', sorry if you saw it that way. It was to point out that it was entirely possible for the thing to hit us pretty good. Some posters seemed to think that because 3 days ago the track showed it sever hundred miles off the coast, there was no chance. :shrug:I agree here. The possibilty still exists that Earl could make a B line up the Chesepeake Bay but the possiblity has been and remains very very small. With all of the variations, NOAA's info has been consistant in saying that Earl will go out to sea.

migtig
09-01-2010, 08:54 AM
but still, that part does sound scary.

I guess so, but the military is referring more to their equipment than anything. You'd have to be involved to know that all the prior messages regarded securing equipment and safeguarding it. So what I get out of the message is exercise caution and secure your equipment. :lol:

TurboK9
09-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Actually, hurricanes ARE measured by how far out from the center the TS and hurricane force winds are, not by the cloud cover. With out the TS and hurricane level winds, it's not a named storm. The Sat images show the hurricane along with any other weather systems that are ajacent which makes it look larger than it really is. A lot of the cloud cover that's associated with a hurricane is just that, cloud cover, no rain no winds. Actually makes for some nice weather. Sort of the calm before the storm.

I agree here. The possibilty still exists that Earl could make a B line up the Chesepeake Bay but the possiblity has been and remains very very small. With all of the variations, NOAA's info has been consistant in saying that Earl will go out to sea.

98L is coming!!! :jameo:

GWguy
09-01-2010, 08:57 AM
I guess so, but the military is referring more to their equipment than anything. You'd have to be involved to know that all the prior messages regarded securing equipment and safeguarding it. So what I get out of the message is exercise caution and secure your equipment. :lol:

I got my equipment secured.... :biggrin:

TurboK9
09-01-2010, 09:00 AM
I got my equipment secured.... :biggrin:

:bananahammock:

kwillia
09-01-2010, 11:16 AM

This tread is giving me a slight fever... should I treat it or leave it be?

Bean
09-01-2010, 01:55 PM
I hope the Amish have been informed...

kwillia
09-01-2010, 01:57 PM

Did you see the power outages have already begun...:frown: SMECO Outage Map (http://outage.smeco.coop/)

cattitude
09-01-2010, 01:58 PM

You're kidding, right?

Bean
09-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Did you see the power outages have already begun...:frown: SMECO Outage Map (http://outage.smeco.coop/)
Now that has got to be a record!

You're kidding, right?
Of course I'm kidding, silly.

awpitt
09-01-2010, 03:40 PM
As of the 2pm update, SoMD is just outside of the 0-5% chance of getting 50 Knot winds probability zone.

Hurricane EARL (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/152331.shtml?50wind120?large#contents)

...and SoMD is right around the 30% chance of getting tropical storm force winds probability zone.

Hurricane EARL (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/152331.shtml?tswind120?large#contents)

kwillia
09-01-2010, 03:42 PM
As of the 2pm update, SoMD is just outside of the 0-5% chance of getting 50 Knot winds probability zone.

Hurricane EARL (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/152331.shtml?50wind120?large#contents)

...and SoMD is right around the 30% chance of getting tropical storm force winds probability zone.

Hurricane EARL (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/152331.shtml?tswind120?large#contents)

Saving the environment and the remaning species diversity of the planet is now your mindset. Nothing is more important than saving them. The Lions, Tigers, Giraffes, Elephants, Froggies, Turtles, Apes, Raccoons, Beetles, Ants, Sharks, Bears, and, of course, the Squirrels.

The humans? The planet does not need humans.

You MUST KNOW the human population is behind all the pollution and problems in the world, and YET you encourage the exact opposite instead of discouraging human growth and procreation. Surely you MUST ALREADY KNOW this!

onel0126
09-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Storm cancel. Bring on winter.

bresamil
09-01-2010, 04:08 PM
My SIL is so PO'd. This is her week in OBX and its over before it began.

TurboK9
09-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Saving the environment and the remaning species diversity of the planet is now your mindset. Nothing is more important than saving them. The Lions, Tigers, Giraffes, Elephants, Froggies, Turtles, Apes, Raccoons, Beetles, Ants, Sharks, Bears, and, of course, the Squirrels.

The humans? The planet does not need humans.

You MUST KNOW the human population is behind all the pollution and problems in the world, and YET you encourage the exact opposite instead of discouraging human growth and procreation. Surely you MUST ALREADY KNOW this!

No humans?? Who will buy Al's carbon offsets and save the planet!! :jameo:

Baja28
09-01-2010, 04:40 PM

.That's not 30%, it's 10-20.

Dakota
09-01-2010, 04:46 PM
That's not 30%, it's 10-20.

I think there has been much guessing here... nobody really is for sure where Earl is going to track - so I hope everyone is watching closely, just in case.

------------------

TEAM STATEMENT # 1: For the vast majority of Earl's track through the Atlantic, the storm has generally remained on the far left side of the uncertainty cone as displayed in NHC graphics. Recent analysis of satellite imagery of Lat/Long points suggests Earl may be increasing forward speed more rapidly than is being shown. In addition, a faster forward motion reduces the storm's ability to make a sharper turn as projected. This also provides for earlier interaction with land, increasing the probability that frictional effects could permit the storm to hug the coast and thus direct stronger winds further inland.

TEAM STATEMENT # 2: It would appear based on developing evidence that our original Hypothesis A has the potential to verify more closely than Hypothesis B. Were this to occur, it would suggest that all three core factors (the high pressure system, cold front in the mid-west and upper level trough) are not moving in the direction or velocity as outlined in Hypothesis B. As a result, Earl tracks much closer to the coast. Interaction of the storm's "central dense overcast" over North Carolina results in frictional effects with land. This has the net effect of potentially driving more of the strongest winds, waves, surge and tidal flooding at least 25 miles further inland than expected by forecasters and emergency management officials.

Source: Foot's Forecast - Your weather from a trusted team! (http://www.footsforecast.org/tropical.php)
-------------------------
I think it was Turbo who said early on that they were expecting/hoping for a sharp turn but that seems iffy and uncertain. :shrug:

awpitt
09-01-2010, 04:54 PM

You're probably right. It's hard to tell where those color bands start and stop sometimes.

Bay_Kat
09-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Earl is back to a Cat 4, 135 mph winds.

Baja28
09-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Earl is back to a Cat 4, 135 mph winds.

:riotinciter:

onebdzee
09-01-2010, 05:13 PM

My entire yard is cut, including the weedeating....it's gonna hit :ohwell:

Bay_Kat
09-01-2010, 05:14 PM
:riotinciter:

But I did hear on CNN that the device went off.

GWguy
09-01-2010, 05:17 PM
My entire yard is cut, including the weedeating....it's gonna hit :ohwell:

I just bought new house insurance..... it's gonna hit.

onebdzee
09-01-2010, 05:20 PM
I just bought new house insurance..... it's gonna hit.

crap....mine was just paid

whoever has the vehicle that is running and without major body damage picks the other up and we head north when the roads are clear :yay:

awpitt
09-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Don't wash your car(s)!

onebdzee
09-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Don't wash your car(s)!

:ohwell: crap

raven
09-01-2010, 08:32 PM

Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley declared states of emergencies. O'Malley advised travelers not to drive to or from Ocean City during the height of stormy weather Friday.

Chasey_Lane
09-01-2010, 08:38 PM
I just came inside from walking my doggies and I can feel some wind. We're all doomed! :cds:

bresamil
09-01-2010, 08:53 PM
I hope something happens soon because that air is like soup out there. Ick

FlyuntiedFC
09-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Earl's gotta die!

Baja28
09-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley declared states of emergencies. O'Malley advised travelers not to drive to or from Ocean City during the height of stormy weather Friday.
So the entire state is under state of emergency because someone as stupid as you is a drama queen. Nice.

GWguy
09-01-2010, 09:24 PM
So the entire state is under state of emergency because someone as stupid as you is a drama queen. Nice.

Hey, Baja... the sky is falling.

Baja28
09-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Hey, Baja... the sky is falling.Oh yea. I forgot. :coffee:

awpitt
09-01-2010, 09:28 PM

How many states does he control? How many emergencies are there?

toppick08
09-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Hey, Baja... the sky is falling.

Hot damn, I'll finally get that skyhook some folks keep looking for.....:lol:

MMDad
09-01-2010, 09:53 PM
You're probably right. It's hard to tell where those color bands start and stop sometimes.

That's why you ignore the dumbed down maps and go straight to the text. The wind probabilities are usually best, but then you have to extrapolate from the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC, Dover, and Ocean City numbers.

tonymdfl
09-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Track Hurricane Earl, Track Tropical Storm Fiona, Track Tropical Storm Gaston / Stormpulse / Hurricanes, severe weather, tracking, mapping (http://www.stormpulse.com/) this is a pretty good site.

afjess1989
09-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Track Hurricane Earl, Track Tropical Storm Fiona, Track Tropical Storm Gaston / Stormpulse / Hurricanes, severe weather, tracking, mapping (http://www.stormpulse.com/) this is a pretty good site.

There is one more off the coast of Africa that they are looking at now.. so far we have Earl, Fiona, Gaston and an unnamed one ...

awpitt
09-02-2010, 06:38 AM
There is one more off the coast of Africa that they are looking at now.. so far we have Earl, Fiona, Gaston and an unnamed one ...

Well, except for Bermuda, it looks like Fiona is going to be a non-event and it's too early to tell for Gaston. As far as the one off of Africa, it has only a 10% chance of developing.

Baja28
09-02-2010, 07:11 AM
Ok drama queens, Fridays weather, lets recap....

Weather.com
Partly Cloudy Temperature: 90°

Accuweather
Partly sunny and very warm Temperature: 88°
NNW at 15 mph, Gusts: 34 mph

NBC 4
High: 92 Low: 69
Precip.: 10% Humidity: 51%
Partly cloudy skies. Hot. High 92F.
Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

NOAA
Partly sunny, with a high near 90.
North wind around 7 mph.

Hey Raven, post those shelters a few more times would ya babe? :killingme

cattitude
09-02-2010, 07:23 AM
Ok drama queens, Fridays weather, lets recap....

Weather.com
Partly Cloudy Temperature: 90°

Accuweather
Partly sunny and very warm Temperature: 88°
NNW at 15 mph, Gusts: 34 mph

NBC 4
High: 92 Low: 69
Precip.: 10% Humidity: 51%
Partly cloudy skies. Hot. High 92F.
Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

NOAA
Partly sunny, with a high near 90.
North wind around 7 mph.

Hey Raven, post those shelters a few more times would ya babe? :killingme

That's strange because Tom Kierein was reporting this morning (on TV/4 this morning between 4:30 and 5 a.m.) that there would be rain around the DC (and us) area between dawn and noon tomorrow and that it would be somewhat windy but that tropical force winds were likely in the lower bay (not us, I realize).

TurboK9
09-02-2010, 07:38 AM

The unnamed one is coming! :jameo:

It sounds so evil when you say it a certain way... :lmao:

Baja28
09-02-2010, 07:39 AM
That's strange because Tom Kierein was reporting this morning (on TV/4 this morning between 4:30 and 5 a.m.) that there would be rain around the DC (and us) area between dawn and noon tomorrow and that it would be somewhat windy but that tropical force winds were likely in the lower bay (not us, I realize).Ok and lets say ole Tom is right. Still no impact on us.

I'm having fun with this in hopes that the drama queens (Raven, ArkRescue & Turbo) will learn not to start panicking when a storm is still east of the leeward islands in the Caribbean. :lmao:

afjess1989
09-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Ok and lets say ole Tom is right. Still no impact on us.

I'm having fun with this in hopes that the drama queens (Raven, ArkRescue & Turbo) will learn not to start panicking when a storm is still east of the leeward islands in the Caribbean. :lmao:

OK! everyone come outta ya holes..yall gonna be just fine that Hurricane aint acomein towards us so have a happy weekend:buddies:

TurboK9
09-02-2010, 07:49 AM
Ok and lets say ole Tom is right. Still no impact on us.

Eff you baja. I haven't posted anything on the storm for a couple days. :buttkiss:

Besides, all I said was to keep an eye on it, which you all have been doing anyway.

Suckit.

Methinks the true drama queen is the one trying to create the drama. Take off your turbin and let your pigtails down, queenie.

raven
09-02-2010, 07:51 AM
OK! everyone come outta ya holes..yall gonna be just fine that Hurricane aint acomein towards us so have a happy weekend:buddies:

The bottom line is no one really knows the path of the hurricane but GOD. He is in the driver seat and has the world in a bottle with the stopper in his hand!
The hurricane can stall turn around and produce tornadoes so no one knows for sure.:coffee:

Baja28
09-02-2010, 07:52 AM
Eff you baja. I haven't posted anything on the storm for a couple days. :buttkiss:

Besides, all I said was to keep an eye on it, which you all have been doing anyway. Suckit.:lmao: Don't get mad at me. Y'all were the ones freakin out when it was still in the Caribbean.

If this thing would have taken a left, you could have turned the tables on me. :lol:

Baja28
09-02-2010, 07:53 AM
The bottom line is no one really knows the path of the hurricane but GOD. He is in the driver seat and has the world in a bottle with the stopper in his hand!
The hurricane can stall turn around and produce tornadoes so no one knows for sure.:coffee::killingme:killingme:killingme:killingme
If stupid hurt, you'd be in constant pain.

Bean
09-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Yes...A magical invisible force field will be keeping Earl out to sea.

SoccerMom2
09-02-2010, 07:58 AM
I think im going to go to Ocean City this weekend. I heard they got some good deals on hotels.

TurboK9
09-02-2010, 07:58 AM
:lmao: Don't get mad at me. Y'all were the ones freakin out when it was still in the Caribbean.

If this thing would have taken a left, you could have turned the tables on me. :lol:

Dude. Freak out? I said it COULD come this way. And it damned well could have. That is freaking out?

I'm not the one who is obsessed and won't STFU about it. :lmao:

I also would have had no interest in turning the tables on you, I would have been too busy serving my community by passing out bottled water to people like you. :lmao:

Well OK, I suppose that sort of would be turning the tables, but only if I knew it was you when you begged for more soup.

Anyway, as soon as the track solidified a little, I stopped talking about it. Sheesh. People jump my ass for saying 'heads up'... I didn't post shelters, or tell people to board up their windows, or evacuate... my biggest concern was simple power outages and asserting that at the time, the damn thing could have shown up at your house to play flip cup. Big friggin' deal. You want to pick on some REAL drama queens, go here (http://forums.somd.com/dating-marriage/212478-honest-opinion-insight.html).

afjess1989
09-02-2010, 08:00 AM
The hurricane can stall turn around and produce tornadoes so no one knows for sure.:coffee:

well when it turns around we all know that Fiona must have gave Earl wrong directions so he had to call Gaston to help....and as far as the tornaoes go ill make sure that toto is with me so when my house starts fly that witch wont try to come in the window and steal him...

SoccerMom2
09-02-2010, 08:01 AM
:killingme:killingme:killingme:killingme
If stupid hurt, you'd be in constant pain.

:snort:

TurboK9
09-02-2010, 08:02 AM
well when it turns around we all know that Fiona must have gave Earl wrong directions so he had to call Gaston to help....and as far as the tornaoes go ill make sure that toto is with me so when my house starts fly that witch wont try to come in the window and steal him...

If your house lands on her I call dibs on the magic shoes!!

SoccerMom2
09-02-2010, 08:03 AM
The bottom line is no one really knows the path of the hurricane but MOTHER NATURE. He is in the driver seat and has the world in a bottle with the stopper in his hand!

:fixed:

afjess1989
09-02-2010, 08:03 AM
If your house lands on her I call dibs on the magic shoes!!

ill take those smexy lookin stockings... Lmao!

TurboK9
09-02-2010, 08:05 AM

Great. Now every time I turn on TWC and see a shot of the 'cane, my brain makes engine noises in my head and imagines a little bearded fellow in there tear assing around the atlantic.

Vrrroooom vrroooooom 'screeeeee' *bump*

"Sorry Hatteras!"

Vrrrrooooom.....

afjess1989
09-02-2010, 08:05 AM
The bottom line is no one really knows the path of the hurricane but MOTHER NATURE.SHE is in the driver seat and has the world in a bottle with the stopper in HER hand!

:FIXEDYOURFIX:

TurboK9
09-02-2010, 08:06 AM
ill take those smexy lookin stockings... Lmao!

:gossip: Use a little... a lot... of baking soda when you wash 'em.

afjess1989
09-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Great. Now every time I turn on TWC and see a shot of the 'cane, my brain makes engine noises in my head and imagines a little bearded fellow in there tear assing around the atlantic.

Vrrroooom vrroooooom 'screeeeee' *bump*

"Sorry Hatteras!"

Vrrrrooooom.....

on a moped...Lmao! :killingme

TurboK9
09-02-2010, 08:09 AM
on a moped...Lmao! :killingme

1968 Mercury CYCLONE!! :killingme

SoccerMom2
09-02-2010, 08:09 AM
:FIXEDYOURFIX:

:buddies: Thanks.

Chasey_Lane
09-02-2010, 08:10 AM
I think im going to go to Ocean City this weekend. I heard they got some good deals on hotels.I'm tagging along with you.

SoccerMom2
09-02-2010, 08:15 AM
I'm tagging along with you.

:yahoo: I will make sure it has a ocean side veiw.

afjess1989
09-02-2010, 08:26 AM
1968 Mercury CYCLONE!! :killingme

:drummer::killingme:killingme

TurboK9
09-02-2010, 08:30 AM
:drummer::killingme:killingme

Here's a cyclone concept (http://bigpicture.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/1959cadillaccycloneconceptlawn1600x1200.jpg).... Caddie, I think...

God would look like George Jetson!!

afjess1989
09-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Here's a cyclone concept (http://bigpicture.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/1959cadillaccycloneconceptlawn1600x1200.jpg).... Caddie, I think...

God would look like George Jetson!!

i would so put 20's on that!

TurboK9
09-02-2010, 08:41 AM
i would so put 20's on that!

Watch you bass amperage, don't want the bubble to 'pop'. :yay:

afjess1989
09-02-2010, 08:45 AM

Watch you bass amperage, don't want the bubble to 'pop'. :yay:

then earl would get me lol and beat me up with his buddy gaston!

TurboK9
09-02-2010, 08:48 AM
then earl would get me lol and beat me up with his buddy gaston!

Gaston is a French name. No way it'll invade the US. It'll revert to a nice typically French depression before that happens, :killingme:

afjess1989
09-02-2010, 08:54 AM
You know from reading baja's posts i think he made Earl,fiona,and Gaston! judgeing from his lack of overreaction!