Thorium Reactors

SamSpade

I happened across a few articles the past few days over this, which is apparently a concept not at all new, but poorly expanded on.

What is the problem with going to these? With what little I understand, you can't just "switch", but thorium is many times more common than all other sources of nuclear fuels COMBINED, and it's found pretty much everywhere. In fact, several articles I read said, rare earth miners consider it a "nuisance" by-product, on account of its ubiquity.

Haven't read anything on thorium... guess I need to catch up. If it's that plentiful, and is fissionable, there has to be a big reason it's not being used or every 3rd world country would have.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I happened across a few articles the past few days over this, which is apparently a concept not at all new, but poorly expanded on.

What is the problem with going to these? With what little I understand, you can't just "switch", but thorium is many times more common than all other sources of nuclear fuels COMBINED, and it's found pretty much everywhere. In fact, several articles I read said, rare earth miners consider it a "nuisance" by-product, on account of its ubiquity.
Even if it's not used for power production it sounds like a good way to get rid of high level waste, much better than just sticking it in a hole.