What is the law on possessing MP3s

Danzig

Hypothetically speaking, what is the law on possessing MP3s? What if I was to have, let’s give it a nice round number like 17,284 MP3s (75gig) many of witch I own or owned the CDs. If I don’t get them or trade them ONLINE is it wrong to just have them?

By the way "Hypothetically" how many MP3s do you have? and do you trade (not online)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't think they care if you own MP3s - they're only interested in when you make your collection available for download. I have close to 1,000 MP3s and only maybe 100 of them are ones I nabbed from Kazaa. They seem to be really going after the ones that are downloading hundreds and thousands of files.

As far as burning your collection to a CD and giving it to a friend, I don't know how they could catch you or enforce that. I suppose if you were selling pirated CDs, they'd lock you up. :shrug:

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by Danzig
"Hypothetically" how many MP3s do you have? and do you trade (not online)

I would hypothetically like to see your list :biggrin:

If you had one - which I'm sure you don't.

Hypothetically.

Danzig

Disclaimer – This is all hypothetical

Now that I put ALL my MP3s on one 180GB drive (USB2) I now need to run a program that I forgot the name of, and I will have a list tonight. PM me your email and I will send you the txt or excel file.

Lots of 80’s metal, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s rock, Lots of current country stars and 70’s and 80s country
Tons of kid’s music
You name it, it is probably there somewhere.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why on Earth would it be against the law for someone to tell someone else what music they have? :confused:

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Danzig
cause I could be looking to trade, or he could.

And that is against the law
Well, you COULD be looking to trade but who's to say you ARE looking to trade? Maybe you just want to compare music collections. :shrug:

K

Kizzy

Now I can preview songs and buy just the ones I want for 99cents. 80% of my CDs are in my library only because I like 1-2 songs on the disc.

Where?

hwyman3

Basically, you are allowed to make copies of music you buy for your own purposes, for example, you have an album on tape and your car only has a CD player, you are allowed to copy that tape onto CD. You are not allowed to give that copy to another person. Before, they couldn't enforce it. Now with the internet, they have a means to enforce it!

lucaswebco

Its the transferring of MP3s that the music industry doesn't like. Especially on the web. They liken it to being a drug dealer. They can track this via the companies that provide the service. IE. Kazaa, Napster, etc. And the ISPs.

You can own MP3s. But you can't trade them on the net. I own lots of mp3s too but for my personal use.

Hope this helps.:cheers: :cheers: