Teen Drivers

CTSP04

There are several spaces still available in the defensive driving program, "Car Control Clinics" for new drivers coming back to Calvert High School this weekend. It teaches the teens skills beyond the typical drivers education program. This program has been here 15 times, and we always get good feedback from the parents and the teenagers. A parent must attend with their teen for both the classroom and driving hours. This is the last time they will be in Maryland before winter weather hits.

It has two components: A mandatory one and a half hour classroom session that begins at 7:00 p.m. tonight, followed by a behind-the-wheel program this weekend. Parents have four driving sessions to choose from during the weekend. The teens will be learning skid control, learning to emergency/ABS brake, etc on Calvert High School's back parking lot near the football field. It is $179.00.

More information and registration is at Car Control, choose the Washington DC/Maryland link to register and pay for the class.

You can also call me for more information, but registration is required at the company's website listed above.

Debbie Jennings
Community Traffic Safety Program Coordinator
Calvert County Traffic Safety Council
210 Main Street
Prince Frederick, Maryland 20678
410 535-2200

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Should of put my step daughter in this last month. She's been driving about 2 months and already spun her blazer out into a guard rail on wet pavement. No one hurt, no other cars involved, just front bumper gone and sheetmetal damage. :faint:

Sending link to her mom.

glhs837

Power with Control
Highly recommend this for all young drivers (hell, if it was availble for older drivers, I would recommend such training for them too). In fact, just called a friend who's daughter just got her permit. A bit short notice for them, but she will put her into the next one coming.

We dont tell pilots how to fly the aircraft under normal conditions and send them out. We teach them how to handle the aircraft under all possible conditions, and drill them on how to do so. why should we treat drivers differently?

CTSP04

Highly recommend this for all young drivers (hell, if it was availble for older drivers, I would recommend such training for them too). In fact, just called a friend who's daughter just got her permit. A bit short notice for them, but she will put her into the next one coming.

We dont tell pilots how to fly the aircraft under normal conditions and send them out. We teach them how to handle the aircraft under all possible conditions, and drill them on how to do so. why should we treat drivers differently?

This has been one of my favorite teen driving programs to bring to Calvert. They probably won't be back until February or March. Howard County Police Dept. has something similar, but parents have to go up there. I'll find the information tomorrow at work and post it then.

CTSP04

This has been one of my favorite teen driving programs to bring to Calvert. They probably won't be back until February or March. Howard County Police Dept. has something similar, but parents have to go up there. I'll find the information tomorrow at work and post it then.

Sorry for the delay ... I got sidetracked on year-end reporting for the traffic safety grants.

The Howard County program flyer can be viewed online at http://www.howardcountymd.gov/Police/Docs/CATflier.pdf and the phone number is 410-313-3758. Their next class can be picked from either December 10th or 11th dates, and the class is $95.00. It looks to be a similar program to what is brought to Calvert High School, which includes emergency braking, wet roadway handling, etc. but probably at higher speeds since it's on the law enforcement training course with more room than the Calvert High School parking lot. The teen would drive his/her their own car, when I recommend.

The Calvert Car Control Clinics will be back in early March 2011. The cost of that program is around $180.00. I am negotiating dates now, when they are finalized it will be on their website Car Control.

glhs837

Power with Control
That looks fantastic. Wonder what it takes to set up such a program closer to home? Looking around, I also see the D2S or Drive 2 Survive program. A bit pricier at $300, but has six full hours of driving time, dual control equipped cars, and does some highway speed stuff.

The RFK stadium has more dates, but I think the FLETC would be the best bet, that sucker has an amazing roadway setup for training.

9000 Commo Road Cheltenham, MD 20623-5000 - Google Maps

DRIVE2SURVIVE

Last edited:

CTSP04

That looks fantastic. Wonder what it takes to set up such a program closer to home? Looking around, I also see the D2S or Drive 2 Survive program. A bit pricier at $300, but has six full hours of driving time, dual control equipped cars, and does some highway speed stuff.

The RFK stadium has more dates, but I think the FLETC would be the best bet, that sucker has an amazing roadway setup for training.

9000 Commo Road Cheltenham, MD 20623-5000 - Google Maps

DRIVE2SURVIVE

We can't set up a similar program closer to home, at least in Calvert we don't have the amount of pavement needed to get up to the high speeds.

I'm familiar with the Drive2Survive Program. The instructors are law enforcement EVOC instructors. I brought that program to Calvert seveal years ago, sat through the class and did the driving session.. We did our driving down at PAX River on Webster Field.

I didn't include that one in the local programs originally given, primarily because the participants are not driving their own cars. I wanted the kids to know how to handle their own car on wet roads, not a brand new Toyota Scion. I still think that is important.

But Eric Espinosa and the other guys from D2S definitely know how to handle cars. It just depends on what a parent is looking for.

glhs837

Power with Control
I see your point. One reason I have been so happy with the track experiences I have attended. While I didnt drive my personal car, I drove cars identical to mine, and some others like a Jeep and a Viper and a Crossfire. Nice variety:)

I was referring to the Howard county program as far as bringing it down here. I would say, if possible, doing both types programs would be best. While knowing your own cars limits are important, the higher speed stuff and the freedom of knowing you have that backup next to you. Lets you push the limits a little harder, I think.

I plan on having both of my kids attend at least the Car Control, and the D2S.

CTSP04

The Calvert County Traffic Safety Council has scheduled the next two Car Control clinics for teen drivers. The program will be held at Calvert High School, and parents have the choice of four different driving sessions during a weekend. The first one will be held the first weekend in March, the next one is the April 15 weekend. For registration and detailed information, go to Car Control and select the Washington DC/Maryland Virginia link on the right side. If you have questions about other programs for young drivers, please feel free to call me.

Debbie Jennings
Calvert County Community Traffic Safety Program Coordinator
210 Main Street
Prince Frederick Maryland 20678
410 535-2200

royhobie

hobieflyer
The Calvert County Traffic Safety Council has scheduled the next two Car Control clinics for teen drivers. The program will be held at Calvert High School, and parents have the choice of four different driving sessions during a weekend. The first one will be held the first weekend in March, the next one is the April 15 weekend. For registration and detailed information, go to Car Control and select the Washington DC/Maryland Virginia link on the right side. If you have questions about other programs for young drivers, please feel free to call me.

Debbie Jennings
210 Main Street
410 535-2200

Debbie does a good job in Calvert County. This is a good program that every teen driver, or potential teen driver should have. I would equate it to a "survival guide". Jackie Beckman is her St. Mary's Co. counterpart. Teens need all the help the can get. The roads can be dangerous for experienced adults, let alone with teens that are easily distracted by so many different things.

RPMDAD

Debbie Jennings
210 Main Street
410 535-2200

As always good job Debbie, my son took the course early last year with my wife and both said it was outstanding. Keep up the good work, greatly appreciated.

CTSP04

As always good job Debbie, my son took the course early last year with my wife and both said it was outstanding. Keep up the good work, greatly appreciated.
Thanks much. Please spread the word whenever possible to the parents at other high schools. We usually have a great turnout from Huntingtown High School students, but that's where I'm at most often.

CTSP04

Thanks everyone for the nice comments above.

Calvert had a great March session with 30 students attending. The next clinic will be held on the weekend of April 15th. Details of how to pick from the available driving sessions are as noted above in previous threads, and registration is at Car Control. Look for the Washington DC/Maryland/VA link on the right to register. Feel free to call me if you have any questions.

Debbie Jennings, Coordinator
Calvert County Traffic Safety Council
210 Main Street
Prince Frederick, Maryland 20678
410 535-2200