School's Calling About Absent Students

Cowgirl

I was reading a blog earlier and saw a post about a 12 yo girl who was missing. She never showed up for school. The lady who wrote the blog thought it was awful that the school didn't call home when a student was absent and then asked, "Don't they even call roll?" Anyhow, the girl had run away and was found safe later that day.

We've never gotten a call if the kids are absent. Do schools do that? :confused: I don't know that they did when I was in school. Maybe they did. Would you expect the school to do that? :confused:

puggymom

I was reading a blog earlier and saw a post about a 12 yo girl who was missing. She never showed up for school. The lady who wrote the blog thought it was awful that the school didn't call home when a student was absent and then asked, "Don't they even call roll?" Anyhow, the girl had run away and was found safe later that day.

We've never gotten a call if the kids are absent. Do schools do that? :confused: I don't know that they did when I was in school. Maybe they did. Would you expect the school to do that? :confused:

My daughter missed a day last month and we did not get a call.

nomoney

I've never had a call if my kid was absent. Now and days everything is online. I could log in right now and see what homework/classwork my kids have due, what grades they got on yesterdays assignments, and if my child was absent for any classes. Its all up to date pretty much.

Our middle and high schools have an automated system that calls each and every day the student is absent. The Forrest Technical Center calls too. If no one is home the robo-call leaves voicemail detailing the info and how to contact the school if you have questions or concerns.

Cowgirl

I've never had a call if my kid was absent. Now and days everything is online. I could log in right now and see what homework/classwork my kids have due, what grades they got on yesterdays assignments, and if my child was absent for any classes. Its all up to date pretty much.

Really? We can't even get the teacher to email us back. :lmao:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
When I was in high school we had an automated line that called if you did not show up for roll call in home room. But that didn't call until 4-5 and sometimes not at all.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That damn Channel 10 absent student listing screwed me in high school.

When I worked at Ch10 we actually had a kid come stomping in, complaining that his right to privacy or some such was being violated. :lol: But that was a very popular feature with parents.

sockgirl77

When I worked at Ch10 we actually had a kid come stomping in, complaining that his right to privacy or some such was being violated. :lol: But that was a very popular feature with parents.

It busted me a few times. The first time was hilarious. My mom noticed that I was acting a bit strange and that I smelled like smoke (Pool Hall, I didn't smoke). She went through the whole routine asking how my day was and all. She asked how my classes were. I answered just as I did everything with "fine". After dinner she said, "oh by the way you're famous now, I saw you on TV:. :confused:. She then pulled out a polaroid with the screen shot. :doh:. I quickly had the oh shiat look on my face. My 4'11" mother then put the fear of God into me. She grounded me. That didn't do much good. Another month later and we were in the same scenario. Only this time my 4'11" mother smacked the crap out of me hard enough that I never skipped school again. I just learned the art of playing sick and waiting for my parents to go to work. And now look at me. A single mom of 3. Wish I would have kept my butt in school every day. :ohwell:

Kitkatmom

When we lived in AA county, the schools (middle and high) called when my kids were out. Now in Calvert and they don't. When I asked about it, I was told they didn't have the money to put that kind of system in place. Even if it was only in the high schools, there is only 4. There are 12 in AA. Oh well.

O

ovred

BOY I'M GLADTHEY DIDN'T DO THAT WHENi WASgoing toGMHS:lmao: