What to do......

poster

My 11yr old and I witnessed something upsetting yesterday.......
a car on the side of the road pull away while it seemed someone was trying to get out, then stop again..........
so I did a U-turn because it gave me an uneasy feeling.
Now, same car, driver out of the car standing on the passenger side beating someone in the car.

I can't stop I'm on the opposite side of the highway, guard rails between us. I called 911 and reported, did another U-turn and the car is now gone.

NO ONE stopped, 911 said someone else called though.
We didn't stop it from happening and who knows what was going on..... abduction, domestic dispute, child abuse....who knows.

It's left me with a very bad feeling that I could have done more (I don't know what) but I'm not sure I should have with my 11yr old in the car with me.

Thoughts......

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm not sure I should have with my 11yr old in the car with me.

^This^
By yourself is one thing, but not with your kid in the car.

There's not much you could have done anyway. Maybe gotten a license plate number, but even that would have probably been wasted effort.

poster

^This^
By yourself is one thing, but not with your kid in the car.

There's not much you could have done anyway. Maybe gotten a license plate number, but even that would have probably been wasted effort.

I think I'm going to have a sit down with the kiddo, I want to be sure she understands that standing by is not ok but in this situation what we did was best.

a car on the side of the road pull away while it seemed someone was trying to get out, then stop again..........
Now, same car, driver out of the car standing on the passenger side beating someone in the car.

I can't stop I'm on the opposite side of the highway, guard rails between us. I called 911 and reported, did another U-turn and the car is now gone.

We didn't stop it from happening and who knows what was going on..... abduction, domestic dispute, child abuse....who knows.

It's left me with a very bad feeling that I could have done more (I don't know what) but I'm not sure I should have with my 11yr old in the car with me.

Thoughts......

You're on the other side of the guard rail, you could have honked and got his attention, told him you were calling the cops and get ready to floor it.

poster

You're on the other side of the guard rail, you could have honked and got his attention, told him you were calling the cops and get ready to floor it.

True, but I doubt my huge SUV will beat a bullet off the start line and that's not a chance I think I should take with my kid in the car.

Last edited:
C

CalvertNewbie

Thoughts......

Wow, was this around here? How horrible for your daughter to witness that!

I'd do the same thing you did. Your primary concern was for your own child's safety. As parents, we need to do whatever it takes to protect our kids. You called the police, you pulled a u-turn, you didn't just ignore the situation and keep going. If the driver was that much of a low-life punk, who knows what could've happened to you had you pulled up to the car? I hope that passenger is ok, what a nightmare!

poster

Wow, was this around here? How horrible for your daughter to witness that!

I'd do the same thing you did. Your primary concern was for your own child's safety. As parents, we need to do whatever it takes to protect our kids. You called the police, you pulled a u-turn, you didn't just ignore the situation and keep going. If the driver was that much of a low-life punk, who knows what could've happened to you had you pulled up to the car? I hope that passenger is ok, what a nightmare!

Was around here, 2-230P Sunday, on Rt 4 North between the turn to the tire park and the turn to the frying pan. Sorry I don't know the road names.

manthaleigh

I agree...being with your child makes a huge difference. I wouldn't have done anything with my kids in the car either other than exactly what you did...call 911. If I was by myself I may have stopped and yelled out the window while writing down the tag #.

That is scary!