Finding confidence with math

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Went to my 1st grader's Parent/Teacher conference yesterday. Son is doing well in all classes but the teacher mentioned that he seems to lack confidence in himself when it comes to Math. He gets 100%s on the work so he knows that stuff, just psyches himself out before doing the work. She says he's teared up a few times over the smallest things in regards to doing his math work. Teacher suggested I help him build some confidence in himself with math oriented activities.

He loves to play on the computer and/or video games so I thought if I can either find a hand-held game or computer game that is about Math, it might help. I've looked on-line for stuff and there's a lot out there, just don't know what is worth the money. I've read the reviews and most are half and half with good and bad comments.

Has anyone found something that might help my son build up some confidence in his Math skills? Any good websites that we can try? Any suggestion would be great. I wish I knew why he doubts himself when he proves that he can do the work. The teacher and I are at a loss over this because he is normally a very confident kid.

ftcret

Money - work with what kids know How much does something cost what change will be if ourchase is made, savings to reach an amount. Give it a try (works on adults too)

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Math is, to me, all about repetition.

One of ours, when she was in first grade and had to do 100 problems in 10 minutes which she couldn't finish because she'd get nervous but DID know the material, or whatever it was, we just sat down every morning for a week and let her go at it, every day.

By day three she was finishing in about half the alloted time and it carried over to school.

:buddies:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Math is, to me, all about repetition.

One of ours, when she was in first grade and had to do 100 problems in 10 minutes which she couldn't finish because she'd get nervous but DID know the material, or whatever it was, we just sat down every morning for a week and let her go at it, every day.

By day three she was finishing in about half the alloted time and it carried over to school.

:buddies:

That might work. If he doesn't have to think about it, he won't get nervous. I'll give it a try.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Geez, math in the first grade. I think we were still taking naps in the 1st grade. Opp, showing my age.

poster

Went to my 1st grader's Parent/Teacher conference yesterday. Son is doing well in all classes but the teacher mentioned that he seems to lack confidence in himself when it comes to Math. He gets 100%s on the work so he knows that stuff, just psyches himself out before doing the work. She says he's teared up a few times over the smallest things in regards to doing his math work. Teacher suggested I help him build some confidence in himself with math oriented activities.

He loves to play on the computer and/or video games so I thought if I can either find a hand-held game or computer game that is about Math, it might help. I've looked on-line for stuff and there's a lot out there, just don't know what is worth the money. I've read the reviews and most are half and half with good and bad comments.

Has anyone found something that might help my son build up some confidence in his Math skills? Any good websites that we can try? Any suggestion would be great. I wish I knew why he doubts himself when he proves that he can do the work. The teacher and I are at a loss over this because he is normally a very confident kid.

The teacher probably knows of several free wedsites for practicing.
I think we used "rainbow math" or something similar, I can't remember the name of it.

Things that worked for us; online games, Yatzee and lower level math practice. Sometimes easier material builds confidence also.
Educate and Celebrate has lots of work books but I'd let him choose the book (within reason) so he's got interest in it.

Ohiogirl

My son's school uses studyisland.com, my son likes the website. First it has them answer a math question, and then they play a short game. Google 1st grade math games, and I'm sure plenty of websites will pop up. Good luck!

lil_daisy

leapster
we had the batman multiplication and division and a baseball math version.
My boys loved them both. The batman one shold be more for second grade when they are introduced to muliptication.

Good luck!

fjennell

my daughter goes on coolmath.com - they also have some cd roms available in the scholastic book papers that come out thru the school that look fun and i'm sure you can also get those in target or walmart. i also found in target a whole section of items in the toy section (near the games) by a company called "Learning Resources" - they have awesome math stuff - as a matter of fact go on target.com and look up math games and there's a ton of stuff! also if you have a leapster or nintendo ds there are good math games for both - math missions is one. there's work books at the dollar store too per grade level. hope this helps!

punjabigyrl

Here is a website that my frined uses for her kids.
# 1 for Math E-Learning | HeyMath! | Because every student counts