First Time Mother questions

KDENISE977

Okay, I'm 4 months pregnant with our first child. I guess most women learn all the normal/basic things from their mother, but in this case, my mom lives in another state and my mother IN law is in Maine...so I have no idea where to really start
Where do I look for daycare? How soon do you have to contact them?
When can you take the child to daycare, I work and I think I have 12 weeks off..but, is that too young??
When do you start to buy things??
What to start buying ?? I'm only 4 months so I know there is plenty of time...or maybe I'm wrong??
Is there some sort of universal List somewhere of necessities??
Is breastfeeding the normal for working women? My OB made is seem like it's HORRIBLE if I didn't want to breastfeed?

I know these are maybe silly questions...but I honestly don't know?

mamissa3

answers to ?S

i tried to answer ?'s:)

Okay, I'm 4 months pregnant with our first child. I guess most women learn all the normal/basic things from their mother, but in this case, my mom lives in another state and my mother IN law is in Maine...so I have no idea where to really start
Where do I look for daycare? You can usually set up appts to go look at daycares in home and auctual centers. How soon do you have to contact them? lots of places have waiting lists so if you start looking you have options if you find a few that you like.
When can you take the child to daycare, I work and I think I have 12 weeks off..but, is that too young?? i know of babies that have gone to daycare at 6 weeks so 12 weeks you are lucky:)
When do you start to buy things?? Buy whenever you want:)
What to start buying ?? I'm only 4 months so I know there is plenty of time...or maybe I'm wrong?? are u going to have a baby shower?? lots of times that all comes in gifts:)
Is there some sort of universal List somewhere of necessities?? Babycenter. com is wonderful:)
Is breastfeeding the normal for working women? My OB made is seem like it's HORRIBLE if I didn't want to breastfeed? You can absoulty bf when working:) Employers HAVE to give you a clean private place to pump:)

I know these are maybe silly questions...but I honestly don't know? nothing is a silly question unless not asked:) PM If you have more ?"S i have 6 kids :)

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Okay, I'm 4 months pregnant with our first child. I guess most women learn all the normal/basic things from their mother, but in this case, my mom lives in another state and my mother IN law is in Maine...so I have no idea where to really start Lots of places you can get info from -- start with google and your local public library branch. Try WUSA's Moms Like Me ( http://dc.momslikeme.com/members/exploregroups.aspx?p=119 )

Where do I look for daycare? How soon do you have to contact them? First, decide what kind of daycare you are looking for and would be most comfortable with for your child -- a daycare center, home-based daycare, etc. Try contacting the Maryland Committee for Children's Locate Childcare website http://www.mdchildcare.org/mdcfc/childcare/choose.html for assistance with this one.
When can you take the child to daycare, I work and I think I have 12 weeks off..but, is that too young?? My 3 youngest were in family-based childcare at 6 - 8 weeks old. I was blessed with my provider who was like an adopted grandmother to my children. All are wonderful, well-adjusted children.
When do you start to buy things?? Anytime you want! I started with little things like bottles, diapers, pacifiers, etc., one or two at a time -- that was part of the fun. With luck, someone will give you a shower and that will also help out.

What to start buying ?? I'm only 4 months so I know there is plenty of time...or maybe I'm wrong?? see above

Is there some sort of universal List somewhere of necessities?? google the term, "basic layette list" -- here's only one of the results http://www.momswhothink.com/labor-birth/baby-layette.html

Is breastfeeding the normal for working women? My OB made is seem like it's HORRIBLE if I didn't want to breastfeed? It is better for the baby, especially if there is a history of allergies in your family. Some working moms will pump at work so the baby is wholly breastfed and some will mix breast milk feedings with formula feedings, and some do just formula. It is YOUR decision. Your ob-gyn should be able to provide you with information about this or you can contact the La Leche League http://www.lllusa.org/

I know these are maybe silly questions...but I honestly don't know? NO question is a silly question except the one that isn't asked! If you can't ask your Mom because of long-distance phone charges, Post -em here for tons of answers from all of the moms on the board, ask them at Moms Like Me or another similar forum, or feel free to PM me if you want. Like mamissa3, I also have kids -- 4 of them! <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

KDENISE977

Okay, I'm 4 months pregnant with our first child. I guess most women learn all the normal/basic things from their mother, but in this case, my mom lives in another state and my mother IN law is in Maine...so I have no idea where to really start Lots of places you can get info from -- start with google and your local public library branch. Try WUSA's Moms Like Me ( http://dc.momslikeme.com/members/exploregroups.aspx?p=119 )

Where do I look for daycare? How soon do you have to contact them? First, decide what kind of daycare you are looking for and would be most comfortable with for your child -- a daycare center, home-based daycare, etc. Try contacting the Maryland Committee for Children's Locate Childcare website http://www.mdchildcare.org/mdcfc/childcare/choose.html for assistance with this one.
When can you take the child to daycare, I work and I think I have 12 weeks off..but, is that too young?? My 3 youngest were in family-based childcare at 6 - 8 weeks old. I was blessed with my provider who was like an adopted grandmother to my children. All are wonderful, well-adjusted children.
When do you start to buy things?? Anytime you want! I started with little things like bottles, diapers, pacifiers, etc., one or two at a time -- that was part of the fun. With luck, someone will give you a shower and that will also help out.

What to start buying ?? I'm only 4 months so I know there is plenty of time...or maybe I'm wrong?? see above

Is there some sort of universal List somewhere of necessities?? google the term, "basic layette list" -- here's only one of the results http://www.momswhothink.com/labor-birth/baby-layette.html

Is breastfeeding the normal for working women? My OB made is seem like it's HORRIBLE if I didn't want to breastfeed? It is better for the baby, especially if there is a history of allergies in your family. Some working moms will pump at work so the baby is wholly breastfed and some will mix breast milk feedings with formula feedings, and some do just formula. It is YOUR decision. Your ob-gyn should be able to provide you with information about this or you can contact the La Leche League http://www.lllusa.org/

I know these are maybe silly questions...but I honestly don't know? NO question is a silly question except the one that isn't asked! If you can't ask your Mom because of long-distance phone charges, Post -em here for tons of answers from all of the moms on the board, ask them at Moms Like Me or another similar forum, or feel free to PM me if you want. Like mamissa3, I also have kids -- 4 of them! <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Wow, THANK YOU...I'm only "slightly" overwhelmed.. with an entire home renovation and baby on the way !! GOOD TIMES !! :sarcasm:

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Wow, THANK YOU...I'm only "slightly" overwhelmed.. with an entire home renovation and baby on the way !! GOOD TIMES !! :sarcasm:

Wow! Hang in there, honey, you'll be fine, and when everything is done and you've got that brand new baby, things will seem a lot easier as you've handled a lot of stress successfully. Both of those are stressful but soooo worth it in the end!

If it's an older house that you're renovating, talk to your ob-gyn about any precautions that you might need to take. If it's not an old house you might want to check anyway to see if there are any chemicals or other environmental factors that you might need to limit your exposure to while pregnant. Not meant to scare you, just keep yourself informed.

KDENISE977

Wow! Hang in there, honey, you'll be fine, and when everything is done and you've got that brand new baby, things will seem a lot easier as you've handled a lot of stress successfully. Both of those are stressful but soooo worth it in the end!

If it's an older house that you're renovating, talk to your ob-gyn about any precautions that you might need to take. If it's not an old house you might want to check anyway to see if there are any chemicals or other environmental factors that you might need to limit your exposure to while pregnant. Not meant to scare you, just keep yourself informed.

Wow, thank you, I never thought about that !! I have some sort of massive paperwork to give them this week for my FMLA, but I'll be sure and ask !! SEE MORE THINGS, I NEVER THOUGHT OF !!

pelers

I would definitely start looking for daycare NOW. A lot of places seem to have long waiting lists for infant daycare, so the sooner you are on that list the better. Most places seem to accept infants starting at 6 weeks. If you or your husband is military, civil service or a contractor you can check out the on-base daycare. They offer both center and home care options. (https://qol.navyaims.net/CYPWeb/Web/Home/Home.aspx)

There have been several threads posted here asking about daycare options, you might search through the archives and check them out. KDenise posted a good link that lists all of the licensed child care providers. Go through the forums here and check out opinions. Most people seem pretty good about "My kids are with this person because I like this" or "I removed my kids from this person's care because of this".

I've heard it's best to choose a daycare close to where you work as opposed to one that is close to your home.

When can you take the child to daycare, I work and I think I have 12 weeks off..but, is that too young??

Most daycares start accepting infants at 6 weeks. Depending on where you work you should get at least 12 weeks of unpaid FMLA leave. That's something I would check with your employer as soon as possible. Some companies are awesome and offer paid maternity leave as well.

I would start now! Babies are EXPENSIVE! (I actually just finished doing a "Cost Analysis" project on the cost for one of my grad school classes, haha) Start now and it spreads the expense over the next couple months. Plus you have time to scope out all of the really good sales. Many places have a one-YEAR return policy on baby items (unused, tags attached with receipt) so if you do end up finding a better deal later you can return it where you bought it (though it will probably be just for store credit).

Baby showers are nice but I really wouldn't depend on them to provide everything you think you will need. Rough economic times, people are a lot more prone to buying things like clothes and the smaller items. Any big ticket items (cribs, dressers, changing tables, swings... anything over $50 really) I would expect to purchase yourself.

What to start buying ?? I'm only 4 months so I know there is plenty of time...or maybe I'm wrong??

Some of the more expensive stuff, like furniture, you can pick up second hand and give it a new life. CraigsList (craigslist: southern maryland classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events) always has tons of baby things listed. The classifieds here also have baby things, I believe.

You'll definitely want to purchase new car seats. Car seats are apparently only rated for one accident and "expire" after 5 or so years. You can never really be sure what you're getting second hand!

Target and Babies R Us have baby registries and they will provide a "necessities" list. Most of the stuff on there is NOT a necessity, but it will give you a really good idea of where to start.

Relax, don't get too overwhelmed. Selling baby products is a HUGE market and 99% of what is available you don't NEED. It's just cool. You will NEED diapers and blankets to start with. In terms of bare necessities, I think that's probably pretty close to it. Everything else is just neat to have.

A lot of stuff your baby just won't like. If you go look at mommy forums half of them will say "My baby LOVED the swing. Couldn't live without it!" and the other half will say "My baby HATED the swing. They preferred a bouncy chair!"

A suggestion: Swings, bouncy chairs, etc? Go yardsaling or check out Craigs List. Those things are stupidly expensive to purchase new. Especially with the risk that your kiddo will hate them and never use them.

Is breastfeeding the normal for working women? My OB made is seem like it's HORRIBLE if I didn't want to breastfeed?

The normal is whatever you are comfortable doing. I know we don't have a ton of options around here in terms of OBs, but if the one you are currently seeing is consistently a jerk? Switch. My first OB seemed to have a goal to try and make me cry every time I came in. My husband almost punched her for some of the things she said to me. But back on track.

Breastfeeding does have some advantages over formula, especially when your baby is first born. I would probably suggest at least trying to breastfeed during your maternity leave. That said, your child will do just fine if you choose to formula feed.

Not everyone can breastfeed. It happens. Formula is pretty good and has all the required nutritional stuff your baby will need. If you DO choose to breastfeed after returning to work, you can buy yourself a pump (I've heard the dual electric ones are best. Looking at 5 minutes to pump vs 30+). Depending on your insurance, some companies will cover the cost of a pump. It's something I would wait to purchase until after the baby is born. If you choose that route.

Seriously, no such thing as a silly question. There are a bunch of forums and websites out there that want to give you advice. One site that I've been using is BabyCenter (BabyCenter | Homepage - Pregnancy, Baby, Toddler, Kids) The informational emails they send out every week I could take or leave. I usually send them to my husband, he appreciates it. The real gold, I think, are the message boards. They have boards for people that are due during the same month as well as special interest boards (such as for people with evil in-laws, breastfeeding, all natural no drugs births, cookie baking... you name it, it exists). It's a terrific mix of first time moms who have all the questions you do + a million more, moms who are on their 2nd, 3rd, 4th+ kids and people from every possible walk of life.

Hope that helps, or at least gives you a place to get started :jet: The local hospitals also offer some classes you might be interested in. Breastfeeding, infant care, labor and delivery and infant CPR.

KDENISE977

I would definitely start looking for daycare NOW. A lot of places seem to have long waiting lists for infant daycare, so the sooner you are on that list the better. Most places seem to accept infants starting at 6 weeks. If you or your husband is military, civil service or a contractor you can check out the on-base daycare. They offer both center and home care options. (https://qol.navyaims.net/CYPWeb/Web/Home/Home.aspx)

There have been several threads posted here asking about daycare options, you might search through the archives and check them out. KDenise posted a good link that lists all of the licensed child care providers. Go through the forums here and check out opinions. Most people seem pretty good about "My kids are with this person because I like this" or "I removed my kids from this person's care because of this".

I've heard it's best to choose a daycare close to where you work as opposed to one that is close to your home.

Most daycares start accepting infants at 6 weeks. Depending on where you work you should get at least 12 weeks of unpaid FMLA leave. That's something I would check with your employer as soon as possible. Some companies are awesome and offer paid maternity leave as well.

I would start now! Babies are EXPENSIVE! (I actually just finished doing a "Cost Analysis" project on the cost for one of my grad school classes, haha) Start now and it spreads the expense over the next couple months. Plus you have time to scope out all of the really good sales. Many places have a one-YEAR return policy on baby items (unused, tags attached with receipt) so if you do end up finding a better deal later you can return it where you bought it (though it will probably be just for store credit).

Baby showers are nice but I really wouldn't depend on them to provide everything you think you will need. Rough economic times, people are a lot more prone to buying things like clothes and the smaller items. Any big ticket items (cribs, dressers, changing tables, swings... anything over $50 really) I would expect to purchase yourself.

Some of the more expensive stuff, like furniture, you can pick up second hand and give it a new life. CraigsList (craigslist: southern maryland classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events) always has tons of baby things listed. The classifieds here also have baby things, I believe.

You'll definitely want to purchase new car seats. Car seats are apparently only rated for one accident and "expire" after 5 or so years. You can never really be sure what you're getting second hand!

Target and Babies R Us have baby registries and they will provide a "necessities" list. Most of the stuff on there is NOT a necessity, but it will give you a really good idea of where to start.

Relax, don't get too overwhelmed. Selling baby products is a HUGE market and 99% of what is available you don't NEED. It's just cool. You will NEED diapers and blankets to start with. In terms of bare necessities, I think that's probably pretty close to it. Everything else is just neat to have.

A lot of stuff your baby just won't like. If you go look at mommy forums half of them will say "My baby LOVED the swing. Couldn't live without it!" and the other half will say "My baby HATED the swing. They preferred a bouncy chair!"

A suggestion: Swings, bouncy chairs, etc? Go yardsaling or check out Craigs List. Those things are stupidly expensive to purchase new. Especially with the risk that your kiddo will hate them and never use them.

The normal is whatever you are comfortable doing. I know we don't have a ton of options around here in terms of OBs, but if the one you are currently seeing is consistently a jerk? Switch. My first OB seemed to have a goal to try and make me cry every time I came in. My husband almost punched her for some of the things she said to me. But back on track.

Breastfeeding does have some advantages over formula, especially when your baby is first born. I would probably suggest at least trying to breastfeed during your maternity leave. That said, your child will do just fine if you choose to formula feed.

Not everyone can breastfeed. It happens. Formula is pretty good and has all the required nutritional stuff your baby will need. If you DO choose to breastfeed after returning to work, you can buy yourself a pump (I've heard the dual electric ones are best. Looking at 5 minutes to pump vs 30+). Depending on your insurance, some companies will cover the cost of a pump. It's something I would wait to purchase until after the baby is born. If you choose that route.

Seriously, no such thing as a silly question. There are a bunch of forums and websites out there that want to give you advice. One site that I've been using is BabyCenter (BabyCenter | Homepage - Pregnancy, Baby, Toddler, Kids) The informational emails they send out every week I could take or leave. I usually send them to my husband, he appreciates it. The real gold, I think, are the message boards. They have boards for people that are due during the same month as well as special interest boards (such as for people with evil in-laws, breastfeeding, all natural no drugs births, cookie baking... you name it, it exists). It's a terrific mix of first time moms who have all the questions you do + a million more, moms who are on their 2nd, 3rd, 4th+ kids and people from every possible walk of life.

Hope that helps, or at least gives you a place to get started :jet: The local hospitals also offer some classes you might be interested in. Breastfeeding, infant care, labor and delivery and infant CPR.

WOW.. .OHHHKAYYY...LOL. Thank you for all the info.. I guess I should get moving huh !!

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

haha I know the feeling.

Do daycare NOW. I mean right now. this moment. Call places. Now. before you get done reading this. I never ever thoguht it would be such a pita to get childcare for an infant. they take them starting at 6 weeks.

I wouldn't buy anything just yet. wait a bit. My rule (which isn't everyone's lol) is wait till the baby is viable at like..26 weeks or so..(because I know if soemthing happened, i could not stand to see a room full of baby things) but I have collected some hand me downs from friends.

Babycenter.com has great resources, including lists of things you need. But your best bet is to ask a friend with a young kid what they used and didn't use. I know a lot of my friends steered me well away from some things and told me to get others (in case you didnt know, apparently wipe warmers are the number one thing to get. lol)

as for breast feeding its a personal choice, and it wont matter what your ob thinks, just your pediatrician. But its super doable for working moms, in fact nearly an employer will provide you with an area to pump..(its not MD state law, yet..I dontthink, but if you work for the govt they have to) and it is really the best, healthiest option for your baby (and you will likely slim down quicker too :)

pelers

WOW.. .OHHHKAYYY...LOL. Thank you for all the info.. I guess I should get moving huh !!

Fire hose! :huggy: Sorry, that's my way of procrastinating! I'm not slacking off if I'm doing something kind of useful that's totally unrelated to what I'm supposed to be doing, right?

strawbry

You can get a list of licensed daycares thru the Southern MD Childcare Resource Center (now called the Promise Resource Ctr) at The Promise Resource Center – A private, non-profit agency working to provide quality child care in Southern Maryland. These are only the licensed daycares though. Depending on your location, and what hours/costs you need, the list may not give you any options in your area, in which case you'd have to just ask around and look off-list. Check somd.com classified listings for daycare openings because they are kept pretty up to date. Just reading them will tell you what average costs, hours, expectations, etc. are. In St. Mary's there aren't too many daycare centers, so many people choose in-home daycares, where the provider can care for 6-8 kids in her home (not sure the current licensing # limits). This is what I've done for daycare for my son. Get a list, and call around to see who has openings, and meet with them too, and as you meet with them you'll get a sense of who you want to go with.

When to start looking? This is tough (I tried looking when I was about 5 mos pg, but because I planned to stay home for 3 mos maternity leave after baby, that meant I didn't need daycare until 7 months later, and no one could give me an answer if they'd have an opening for an infant (unless I was willing to pay to "hold that spot", which I didn't.) So, I suggest you use the 2nd half of your pregnancy as research, calling around, and just looking, but don't expect to find someone you can commit to, until you are just about ready to have the baby, and then providers will talk with you and perhaps hold a space for you (some require full or partial payment to do that). On a similar note, start figuring out who you want for a pediatrician, because you can go meet with those doctors while you're expecting and just talk with them.

When can you take them for daycare? I've seen daycares who take babies as young as 4 weeks, but if your job allows you to take 12 weeks, and you can afford that, then I say do it. The longer you can have at home with your baby the better. For bonding, developing their routine, keeping them home with you and out of the general path of others germs, and just enjoying their baby days, is soooo worth it.

When to start buying things? That kind of depends on if you are expecting to have a baby shower, because you'll get some gifts from that (if you do I recommend registering). Some things you can get before the shower, but all you really need ahead of time are some 0-3 months clothes, diapers, carseat, crib, a stroller, and some bottles (depending on your feeding plan). There are a BUNCH of additional items you can buy, that make life a bit easier, but it depends on how much you have to spend. Just be careful of spending too much too soon, because I know I wound up with a lot of 0-3 months clothes my son never wore, and items that seemed so important at the store, that I never really used. With your mom out of state, I'd recommend finding a friend who already has kids who can take you out to show you what stuff they found the most helpful.

As for the breastfeeding, it is better if you can (better for the baby's health & bonding for you and the baby, plus it is cheaper, and more good reasons). However, it is your decision. Plenty of people dont bf their babies, and I'm sure the kids turn out just fine. If you want to do it, then by all means give it a try. I tried it, but it didn't work out too well for me (the actual latching on and productive feedings). So I pumped for a few months and froze the milk. When I went back to work after 3 months, I had originally planned to keep pumping, but by that time I wasn't really getting enough volume anyway, and my son was drinking like a horse, so it didn't make sense to stick with that plan. So I stopped pumping at about 3 months. And I was satisfied when I returned to work that I had done the best I could do, and that was that.

And welcome to the world of motherhood and all the advice that comes with it! I hope you get some good advice folks from your questions. Also, with any parenting topic, you'll get everything from one extreme to the other, and many opinions in between. Sometimes it is hard to sort it all out, but just weigh all the info and opinions and go with what feels right. Ultimately, you just need to make the best decision you can for your baby and yourself.

Good luck!