Suggestion? Games For Children

SamSpade

My wife and I were thinking about games we can play with our son. We're trying to avoid anything too complex; something fun for a child; something without too many pieces to lose - and something that, in some way, will teach him something he needs, even if it's something as simple as taking turns or playing fairly.

He still likes very simply games like Candyland, and he has a simple domino game he enjoys, but that's about it for games played off of a computer. He's actually very good at computer memory games, and I'd like to encourage that.

Does anyone have ideas? What sort of games do you play with your kindergartners?

nomoney

My wife and I were thinking about games we can play with our son. We're trying to avoid anything too complex; something fun for a child; something without too many pieces to lose - and something that, in some way, will teach him something he needs, even if it's something as simple as taking turns or playing fairly.

He still likes very simply games like Candyland, and he has a simple domino game he enjoys, but that's about it for games played off of a computer. He's actually very good at computer memory games, and I'd like to encourage that.

Does anyone have ideas? What sort of games do you play with your kindergartners?

Simple card games were always a hit:
War
Go Fish
Old Maid

Cowgirl

Candyland
Shoots and Ladders
Memory
Connect 4
Don't Break the Ice
Don't Spill the Beans
Cootie
Operation
Hi Ho Cherry-O

emma1606

Candyland
Shoots and Ladders
Memory
Connect 4
Don't Break the Ice
Don't Spill the Beans
Cootie
Operation
Hi Ho Cherry-O

My son is 3 1/2 and he's getting Chutes/Ladders, Don't Break the Ice and Toy Story Operation for Christmas. He also loves playing Old Maid and card games.

Toxick

Splat

My favorites are "See who can be quiet the longest" and "Hide n Seek"

Also, little card-games like "Go Fish" and "War" are fun. Santa just got my youngest Chutes & Ladders so the jury is out on that one still.

And, actually, my little guy likes "Pictionary-man".

That one is cool because instead of drawing out phrases like "Radial Symmetry" or "Flash in the Pan", you take a Generic "Man" and use a pen to mark him up like a "Policeman" or "Astronaut" or "Hula Dancer".

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Even better, find a website online ( i will link later if I can remember the one I used babysitting and working at camp) to print out one of a million ideas for more "hands on" games like really fun "treasure quests" (making a map and having him find clues and such, a lot of fun the boys esp seem to love it)and neat ideas for silly relay races and such..those teach all kinds of great skills, plus throw some time in there to get out some energy..(which makes for a tired kid :evil:) kindergarten boys, i find, have much better ability to keep on task when moving a lot..lol

SamSpade

Good ideas. Thanks.

One more request for ideas, or at least, advice.

I'm thinking of one of those handheld electronic devices, such as a Leapster. There are about 4 or 5 of these out there. I kind of want to go with one that's going to be around for a while, because we've bought him toys like these in the past only to find that support for them vanished almost immediately.

But it also needs to be something he will USE. I'd like to know if YOUR kids actually play with these things (and manage NOT to break them).

Of all the electronic toys he has, the one he seems most likely to use is, frankly, his computer, but I'm not familiar with really good software for kids. We have SOME stuff on there, but I think there is something psychological about having a desk with a screen that appeals to him.

Ideas?

Christy

b*tch rocket
I'm thinking of one of those handheld electronic devices, such as a Leapster. There are about 4 or 5 of these out there. I kind of want to go with one that's going to be around for a while, because we've bought him toys like these in the past only to find that support for them vanished almost immediately.

But it also needs to be something he will USE. I'd like to know if YOUR kids actually play with these things (and manage NOT to break them).

Nintendo DS. They have been around forever and have games for kids of all ages. :yay:

doubtfull24

My son used to have a Leapster and loved it he learned a lot from the games! The only issue I had was the games were so expensive and he would try to beat the game as fast as possible and then he was done playing it.Now that he's older he has a Ds which he loves also but the leapster is good for younger kids.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Sam- Ireland loves memory, hi ho cherrio, monopoly junior, go fish, keplunk, 5 monkeys, dont wake daddy, chutes and ladders, the ladybug game, pictureka and candyland.

Also- we got her a vtech handheld- because we also have the vtech game system- and the games are interchangeable between the system that hooks up to the tv and the handheld. Which that way- we can buy 1 game but works on 2 systems. It is pretty awesome! They have all kinds like backyardigans, pooh, toy story, and tons of other characters.

Hazel

My K-age son likes puzzles and legos. Easily two things you could do with him, although both have pieces you could lose.

What about "Guess Who?"

Mine has a PSP, DS, and Leapster. I really think it is going to depend on your son if he likes it and plays with it or not. Mine loves his. We didn't buy all three for him - older kids had them and they were passed down to him. I'm guessing as long as you got him the right games for him, he would like it. Check the price of games before committing to a whole system. The system may cost less initially, but each game then costs more, or vice versa.