Can we call them a dynasty yet???

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
Bear with me you Deadskin fans....

...If the other team got zero, the Pats got three or six or nine. If the opposition got 20, the Pats got 23 or 27. No matter what the other team scored, the Pats scored more.

That is the true mark of greatness.

Maybe you can’t compare the Patriots position-for-position with those other great teams. But you can’t do that with any team these days, not with the hard salary cap limiting the number of superstars you can afford.

But you can compare results. And the Patriots, if they win the Super Bowl, will have won their final 15 games and their second title in three seasons. If that were a nothing accomplishment, somebody else would have done it; one of those other great teams would have done it. They didn’t. That makes the Patriots special.

And don’t tell me they’re just lucky, that they got the benefit of a silly rule two years ago when they beat the Raiders to get to the big game, or that the refs let the Pats mug the Colts’ receivers in the AFC championship. You make your own luck in this business, and when you string 14 wins together, you’re more than lucky; you’re good.

If they lose to the Panthers, then you can say they’re not great.
But if they win, you’ve got no alternative but to admit the truth, which is that the New England Patriots will be one of the greatest teams we’ve ever seen.

Go Pats!!!

040125_celizicHarrison_vmed_7p.vmedium.jpg

BudoPo

Originally posted by Voter2002
But you can compare results. And the Patriots, if they win the Super Bowl, will have won their final 15 games and their second title in three seasons. If that were a nothing accomplishment, somebody else would have done it; one of those other great teams would have done it. They didn’t. That makes the Patriots special.

1972 Dolphins were 17-0, thank you very much. Don't know if any other team won their *final* 15 games, but some won 15 games in a season ('73 Dolphins, '85 Bears (whose only loss was to the Dolphins, of course) come to mind).:smile:

The Pats look pretty good, but I have a feeling the Panthers are going to take it. Should be a good game, but the Fins aren't in it, so I don't know how into the game I'll get.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Doncha know that JOE GIBBS is back? Doncha know that there HUGE numbers of 'skins fans on these boards? I saw this listing and figured that somebody was going to tell me that the 'skins were already a dynasty without even playing a game under the new improved Joe Gibbs!:lmao:

donbarzini

I was born and raised in Massachusetts. Been a Patriots fan since I was 5(I'm 47 now). I go back to the likes of Mike Taliaferro at QB, Jim Nance at FB, and Marty Schottenheimer at LB.

So while I rejoice in their success, I wouldn't use the "D" word just yet even IF they win this one.

I think to qualify you have to win MORE than two in a ROW and

completely dominate while doing so.

The ONLY dynasties I've seen have been the:

Celtics/Yankees:barf: /Steelers/Packers(barely)/Canadiens

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
Originally posted by donbarzini
I was born and raised in Massachusetts. Been a Patriots fan since I was 5(I'm 47 now). I go back to the likes of Mike Taliaferro at QB, Jim Nance at FB, and Marty Schottenheimer at LB.

Ah yes...fond memories of Schaeffer Stadium....been there, done that....Alumni Stadium (until the fire) & then Harvard for a year....

Didn't mean that we should be calling them a dynasty yet...just know that this place is infested like roaches with Redskin fans frothing at the mouth over Gibb's return....

BuddyLee

Football addict
true

Originally posted by donbarzini
I guess ONE would be fine when you only have five:biggrin:

youve got me there! i cannot defend their record but i can assure you that they will do much better this year!

B

Bruzilla

Speaking as a native Pittsburgher and life-long Steelers fan, I say see me after you win two more Super Bowls, with at least one pair of back-to-back repeat victories, and we'll talk then. Otherwise, please call Brett Farve and ask him your question.:biggrin:

H

headinsouth

I don't think so..

Didn't they just barely win both times they won..??:confused:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Re: I don't think so..

Originally posted by headinsouth
Didn't they just barely win both times they won..??:confused:

does that matter!!! they are a dynasty because they have made it this far both times!! if you win you win. in this day and age in the NFL with free agency they should be considered a dynasty!

H

headinsouth

yes a win is a win..

but they lost to the Spurrier skins... Still they are a pretty good team just like Carolina is... but if the game had been 1 minute longer, I don't think we would be having this discussion... Good team yes... Dynasty... I don't think so.

B

Bruzilla

If Carolina would have just kicked the dang extra points we wouldn't be having this discussion.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Re: yes a win is a win..

but they lost to the Spurrier skins... Still they are a pretty good team just like Carolina is... but if the game had been 1 minute longer, I don't think we would be having this discussion... Good team yes... Dynasty... I don't think so.

yes they lost to the skins YEHA! lol go skins!! however winning two superbowls in 3 years is a pretty good dynasty to me in this day in age in the NFL with all the free agency. we will probably never see anything like the steelers in the 70s. i hate it to but thats life.

p.s. i wanted the panthers to win!:wink:

H

headinsouth

I wanted the Panthers to win too

The Cowboys were a Dynasty a few times.... The 49s... the Steelers.. and even the Redskins were talked about being the Team of the 80s... Green Bay was on the way to being one.. but the coach left. I guess the Broncos think they were.. But that's all the Football Dynastys I know of... Maybe you can call them an "AFC Dynasty" Like the Raiders. That would work.. But a Professional Football Dynasty?? Again the Pats are a good team, I would love to have gotten Bledsoe as a good back up to Ramesy... now if they win the next 2 Super Bowls.. They will have my vote... even if they just barely win. and If Janet Jackson is on the 1/2 time show...

Have a good day sir..

donbarzini

Headinsouth, which packer team are you referring to? Lombardi or Holmgren? Because both had a coach that left. If it was Holmgren I agree that they were close. If it was Lombardi they were there.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Re: I wanted the Panthers to win too

The Cowboys were a Dynasty a few times.... The 49s... the Steelers.. and even the Redskins were talked about being the Team of the 80s... Green Bay was on the way to being one.. but the coach left. I guess the Broncos think they were.. But that's all the Football Dynastys I know of... Maybe you can call them an "AFC Dynasty" Like the Raiders. That would work.. But a Professional Football Dynasty?? Again the Pats are a good team, I would love to have gotten Bledsoe as a good back up to Ramesy... now if they win the next 2 Super Bowls.. They will have my vote... even if they just barely win. and If Janet Jackson is on the 1/2 time show...

Have a good day sir..

what you speak of is true HOWEVER as i have said all of these dynasties that you have mentioned were all before or at the very beginning stages of free agency. with free agency we have a whole new outlook on what is and what is not a dynasty.:wink: