MILITARY SERVICE

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Do you think high-school graduates should serve a mandatory military enlistment?  No, I sure don’t.  The all-volunteer force has been doing fairly well since its conception and I see no reason to change it now.  If, however, we do enter into all out conflict I feel that the draft should be brought back and made applicable to all within the age group regardless of sex.  Personally, I would like to see all people register for the draft and not just our young men.

Please don’t get me wrong as I see the military as one hell of a way to learn a skill, travel the world, and discover yourself.  But it just isn’t for everyone and making it mandatory would cause a lot of problems for those that don’t want to do it.

valentino

I think that many people including myself need some kind of guidance when they are younger.  I got that through karate, sea cadets, and most importantly my parents.  I considered going into the military myself, but now think that I would have regretted the decision.  I have many friends in, that even now in a time when lots of people have a stronger sense of patriotism, say that they cannot wait to get out.  I think that the choice to join should be left to people that want to join for whatever reason.  Are we living in a foreign country where people are forced to join a military and fight wars for which they might not even agree with....no, so why should we try and be like countries that we work so hard to be different from.  I am happy that I can still enjoy life without the everyday worries that people in other countries have, but if the U.S. keeps putting its nose in where it does not belong, we will end up like everyone else, bombed to hell, and living life in fear everyday.  That is another topic altogether, but my point is that I think we need to come up with more ways not to have to make our military larger, and leave that choice up to the individual.  I agree that if there is a draft, everyone should be considered, it would not hurt any less to lose one friend over another, no matter if they were a girl or a guy, or any race for that matter.  

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
I agree on some of that.  You can't draft male and female.  Because there would kids with no parents.  I'm 23 and my husbend is 26.  Would that me that we would both get drafted?  I know they take the unmarried first, but with kids getting married and haveing kids so early there's not too many left. The kids are my only issue.  But I agree with the rest.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Missi,

There will always be deferments to the draft for one reason or another and parental necessity could be just another one on the list.  I just believe that if we truly are a nation that believes in equality then we should act that way.  I also feel that many of us older folk have skills that could be used by the services regardless of our age or sex and that only taking from the young males of the populace doesn’t serve the nation as it should be.

But remember I don’t think it is necessary at this time as I feel we are doing well with the AVF.

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
OK, wow something we agree on! I agree that if a older person has skills needed in a time of war, it shouldn't matter there age or sex!!  And just as long as kids are not left parentless, I'm for it! Also there would have to be something for self-employed persons to.  My husbend is a farmer, and if he got drafted, my kids and I would be on the street.  Yes I could a job, but not enough to pay the bills!

(Edited by missi1013 at 3:11 pm on April 23, 2002)

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I know that mandatory military service would have been hell on me when I was 18. During high school I was picked on a lot, and occasionally beaten up. Things were little better during my first two years of college, when I lived in an all-male dorm. The all-male barracks would only have been worse. Why did so many guys want to beat me up? They thought I was gay, even though I'm not.

S

ShellyCW

I agree that both men and women should be elgible for the draft.  I got to wondering, though: where would we be now if Rosie the Riveter and her gal pals joined GI Joe in Europe and the Pacific?

cv40

Mandatory Enlistment?  Heck No.  If a kid really doesn't want to be in the military, he won't perform and most likely get kicked out dishonorably.  That's no way to begin a career.  A 'dishonorable' really messes things up.  Men and women who want to join, do.  The military is not a social program.  It's not an experiment.  It how the country is defended.  The Military needs honorable kids who choose to serve and we should recognize, respected and rewarded our veterans so that young people will want to join.

I think you are very disturbed for even thinking of such a thing. This is America freedom of choice, who r u to mandate something that has no bearing on you what so ever. You should mind your own affairs and If you decide to join the armed forces good for you but why drag everyone else into something they may not want or able to handle.

S

ShellyCW

Earthchild on 5:14 pm on April 24, 2002[br]I think you are very disturbed for even thinking of such a thing. This is America freedom of choice, who r u to mandate something that has no bearing on you what so ever. You should mind your own affairs and If you decide to join the armed forces good for you but why drag everyone else into something they may not want or able to handle.

I'm not exactly sure who you directed that at, but I realized I entirely skipped Ken's original question.  No, I don't think mandatory military service for all grads is a good idea.  

(Edited by ShellyCW at 6:19 pm on April 24, 2002)

Ken King

PREMO Member
ShellyCW,

I just included the survey question from the SOMD.com main page.  It isn't my thought, I just included it with my response.

Earthchild,

What is wrong with someone offering a question for consideration in a survey type format?  Also I guess for you that the Selective Service policy that requires males only to register exemplifies freedom of choice.  

Christy

b*tch rocket
I'm totally NOT for mandatory service.  Why muddy up the military with a bunch of kids who'd be cryin like babies?  That's what they made liberal colleges for :wink:  I would however, highly recommend it for any kid.  It's a truly amazing experience.

grandpa

I gave the USAF a whirl in 1957, Had a real serious talk with myself at the end of 4 years. Glad I decided to make it a career.

marko

Although I understand the reservations of the non-mandatory service community, please allow me to share my opinion.  I am also torn on the decision between mandatory and non-mandatory service.  Let's take a trip back in time, with the theme being complacency on the part of popular culture.  Americans are always non-partial on these events until it intrudes on their social lives.  Two world trade center bombings, with one being successful.  What about the bombings in the Phillipines and Columbia?  I could go on, but I think I have made my point.  Until September 11th, everyone was safe and cozy, right?  It could never happen to us.  Wake up, people.  The world has changed.  It might just be time to reconsider the gravity of the situation.  By the way, I spent 10 years in the US Navy and saw how the world really is, not just on television.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Marko,

I’m not sure what national complacency has to do with mandatory military service.  Would such a policy generate the temporary serviceman, without as many making a career out of it, leaving us with not as strong of a seasoned military as what the all volunteer force has yielded thus far? I also wasn’t impacted in my social life by the events you mentioned, so I am not making a connection here. I am not sure what your point is and how it relates to the question at hand.  I served 12 years active duty in the Air Force, a couple of years in private industry and have been working for the Navy now for over 15 years, I will agree that the real world isn’t as depicted by the media and I also agree that the gravity of the situation is critical with the Middle East as a very hot spot.  I think Columbia and the Philippines are some of the occasional boils that rear up upon the world every once in a while and nowhere near as significant as the trouble in Southwest Asia.

Maybe you can make your point a little clearer for me. Anyway welcome aboard the forums.

(Edited by Ken King at 7:46 pm on April 25, 2002)

modwoman

To be honest I am not sure. I would not want to be told it is manadtory but yet Maybe it would give the youth some guidance and disclipine and a chance to do better in life. Maybe if if it was a short term directed for young people.
You got me one this one

Steve

Enjoying life!
Mandatory military service is not wanted, not by the public or by the all- volunteer military cadre currently in place. As a current active duty USAF Staff Sergeant, held (effectively drafted) due to Stop-Loss, I can tell you that we DO NOT EVER want anyone there who does not want to be there. It is bad enough dealing with those who volunteered for a 4-year hitch, who then decided half-way through that they 'changed their mind'. Nothing comes from them except gripes.

I've served 9 years, still do; my wife, 6. We both decided to get out for our own reasons, and I'll follow her as soon as the DoD decides I can leave. But to echo sentiments already posted, it really and truly is an experience that I always encourage all young people to consider. We have a poster hanging in our basement depicting the hoisted American flag with a bald eagle sitting on the mast head, with a caption that reads:

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a special flavor the protected
       will never know."

And although I have never been "in combat" myself, I cannot stress enough the feelings that that quote stirs within me. In my nine years, I have travelled to parts of the world that I never dreamed I'd ever visit. I've seen first hand how the rest of the world lives day-to-day. And I have very often returned home to the good 'ole USA thinking about how glad I was to be back, but also how much people here really are ignorant of the rest of the world, and it's condition.

We have everything, and we often take it for granted. Our cable TV, our cars, our fast food. We have freedom, true freedom. Our folks that serve learn this during their careers. And everyone should have the opportunity to learn it as well. But that is a choice, and choice is one of our most precious possessions here in the U.S. Taking it away with mandatory service is an infringement and something I do not encourage.

Focus is what we need to maintain. Focus on why we are where we are today, post 9/11. And the best we can all do for ourselves is prepare for what may be in store.

K, I'm done...

Ken King

PREMO Member
Steve,

Pretty good reply from a guy who dives onto a pool cover.  :roflmao:  BTW I totally agree with you.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Well what's up folks, the voting is running about 60% against and 40% for mandatory service.  I would like to hear why some of the 40% crowd thinks it is a good idea.  Any of you care to give your thoughts on this?

T

Topper

Before we make a decision on this policy, it would be appropriate to analyze the need, advantages and disadvantages.  

Is there a need for millions of untrained, and possibly unmotivated entry-level employees in the military?  

Like many careers in today's economy, the military is becoming increasingly specialized and technical.  Both of these trends require training and that is an expense.  After that expense is incurred, how long would a person have to serve before the taxpayers received a return on their investment?  Would we be better served by career employees who will give us a return on our investment over 20 years or "temps" who are counting the days?

Considering that we already have a problem with students who do not graduate from highschool, would we be giving them another reason not to graduate if they thought a diploma would come with a requirement to do something they didn't want to do?  Have you tried to get a teenager to do anything they didn't want to do lately?

Is the military an instrument of domestic, social policy or foriegn policy?

Just thought I'd ask.