Doggy bladder infections ...

Ponytail

I have been working late again this week, but usually I'm home by 7, and the 'lil gal is just fine.

Last night I worked till 9:30, and didn't get home till 10. I could smell it as soon as I walked into the basement...smelled like something was dead in the basement.

Then I opened the door to go upstairs. :yikes: It was BAD!!

She did try to save the carpet, and went on the cardboard that I had down on the floor while doing drywall. Other than a HUGE puddle and a rreally bad smell, nothing seemed out of the ordinary...

Until I let her out again before I went to bed (I let her out as soon as I got home). She squatted repeatedly. And with snow still on the ground, it was easy to see the blood.

She's had them before, but it's been awhile. I don't remember what the vet told me about it...what causes bladder infections in dogs? Anything I can give her to make her more comfortable till I can get her to the vet (when the vet has an opening)?

Oh yea, she ate "Minority Report" yesterday too. Apparently, she liked it more than I did. :rolleyes:

Ponytail

None that I'd want in my house. Shawn gets home before I do, but not much before...I should have called him yesterday to do it. I'm a bad dad. :frown:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Ponytail
None that I'd want in my house. Shawn gets home before I do, but not much before...I should have called him yesterday to do it. I'm a bad dad. :frown:
You better bring her scooby snacks to make up for it. And maybe her own pack of TP to eat as well. :rolleyes:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
PT. I think your doggie really needs another dog or some kind of company. She's obviously very stressed with separation anxiety. Chewing and eating up everything isn't helping with her tummy problems. Sometimes bladder infections can be caused by stress in the beginning. Lots of vets don't always recognize or agree with this. I had a cat that used to get bladder infections but never blockages. He is a very nervous cat. I did a lot of research on the internet and found that people can have the same problem so I started searching for any link that cats can have that. I talked to my vet for a long time and we put the cat on amitriptilyne which is a prozac type of drug. He was only on it for a few months but really helped him. He was so nervous that he wasn't emptying his bladder properly which cause some of the problems.

I'll probably have some downtime today...I'll look around and report back.

Ponytail

She had one a couple of years ago. But that one was from her being on some pretty heavy steroids for a skin condition that she had.

Now, she is still on a low dose of steroids, and has been for several years now as a way to control her dandruff. It was the only thing that we found that works. Its' such a low dose, long term effects are nill.

She has separation anxiety pretty bad, but she has gotten alot better with it. I worked with her for a long time, practicing leaving for short times, and getting longer till she stopped getting frantic when I leave. Now, she doesn't even like to sleep in the bedroom. I used to have to fight her for the bed. She has now claimed the couch. :clap:

I spoke to vets about getting her another dog, but she doesn't take well to other dogs, and the vet was worried that it would only amplify her anxiety.

Dunno. I should have a message on my machine when I get home for the results of the urine analysis, but with blood in the urine, and the frequent squatting now, I'm sure it is a bladder infection.