Chinese moms are best...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Confessions of a Tiger Mom: Why Chinese parenting is best - The Globe and Mail

Yale law professor Amy Chua, 48, is known in academic circles for her work on globalization and free market democracy, the subjects of her books Day of Empire and World on Fire.

But this week, she’s drawing attention to her private life with a provocative new memoir about parenting her two daughters, Sophia and Lulu, now 18 and 14. Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother maps the girls’ gruelling hours of piano and violin, their push for top grades and the seemingly harsh techniques Prof. Chua used to maintain order. We reached Prof. Chua in her New Haven, Conn., home.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Western parents are the ones that worry so much about self-esteem – and Chinese parents don’t, they assume strength rather than fragility
I love this woman! :notworthy

camily

Peace
She's lucky to even be alive being that she was a Chinese baby girl to begin with. Chinese parents are sooo much better.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I agree with her disdain for the average "western" parent these days..and understand where she's coming from in expecting the best her children can be..I am kinda saddened by her story. Lord knows my mother was not a coddler or a self esteem obsessed parent, and I appreciate that and want to replicate it for my daughter...but some of that is a bit harsh..and even she sees that. Telling your daughter if she doesn't play the piano better you will burn her stuffed animals? Too much. Save the arson threats for when she talks back or runs the phone bill up. And to take away some of the fun and frivolity of childhood is so cruel. I expect children to do chores, to learn responsibility and all that...absolutely..but all work and no play makes jane a very dull child, and an even duller adult..IMO. I had an asian friend in school...who was so constantly stressed and ill...always worried about school and work and what her parents would say...it was sad. Sadder stilll is though she is very smart and cabable..she is so socially stunted...getting far in most normal professions would be very difficult..dating, any kind of fun now that she is an adult is foreign to her. I don't want to sadden my child for the rest of her life.

TurboK9

I agree with her disdain for the average "western" parent these days..and understand where she's coming from in expecting the best her children can be..I am kinda saddened by her story. Lord knows my mother was not a coddler or a self esteem obsessed parent, and I appreciate that and want to replicate it for my daughter...but some of that is a bit harsh..and even she sees that. Telling your daughter if she doesn't play the piano better you will burn her stuffed animals? Too much. Save the arson threats for when she talks back or runs the phone bill up. And to take away some of the fun and frivolity of childhood is so cruel. I expect children to do chores, to learn responsibility and all that...absolutely..but all work and no play makes jane a very dull child, and an even duller adult..IMO. I had an asian friend in school...who was so constantly stressed and ill...always worried about school and work and what her parents would say...it was sad. Sadder stilll is though she is very smart and cabable..she is so socially stunted...getting far in most normal professions would be very difficult..dating, any kind of fun now that she is an adult is foreign to her. I don't want to sadden my child for the rest of her life.

Remember that most Chinese are only a generation out of children dropping from the womb straight into working the family business / farm. This is what they know. So their children are treated as if they too are doing a job that the family depends on, except that job is playing piano, etc, instead of feeding the chickens or whatever... and the consequences are a loss of a toy instead of starvation.

:shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Remember that most Chinese are only a generation out of children dropping from the womb straight into working the family business / farm. This is what they know. So their children are treated as if they too are doing a job that the family depends on, except that job is playing piano, etc, instead of feeding the chickens or whatever... and the consequences are a loss of a toy instead of starvation.

And we'll note that pioneer children, who got up at the asscrack of doom to do chores before school, managed to grow into productive adulthood without taking Prozac or spending a fortune on shrinks.

The problem comes from the permissive way the kids around them are being raised. "So and so gets to..." "All the other kids..." If all parents raised their children in a strict fashion that promoted learning and productivity, there wouldn't be a problem.

I did love how she rejected the birthday card, though. :lol: Kids are such ungrateful little bastards because their parents don't teach them appreciation.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
And we'll note that pioneer children, who got up at the asscrack of doom to do chores before school, managed to grow into productive adulthood without taking Prozac or spending a fortune on shrinks.

The 3 0f 8 that made it passed being born, disease, famine, lack of dental floss and Injun's.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

:shrug:

What are you talking about? :killingme Even if they were in China, it is hardly a third world country and hasn't been. They have high expectations..and even she admits her methods were harsh. Doesn't have anything to do with starving. Just a cultural difference.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

The problem comes from the permissive way the kids around them are being raised. "So and so gets to..." "All the other kids..." If all parents raised their children in a strict fashion that promoted learning and productivity, there wouldn't be a problem.

I did love how she rejected the birthday card, though. :lol: Kids are such ungrateful little bastards because their parents don't teach them appreciation.

That i found funny :killingme several commenters said they thought it was cruel..I didn't...just funny.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
several commenters said they thought it was cruel

Yes, there are many parents who have severely low expectations of their children. It's sad.

I was fascinated that almost all of the comments were negative. Very few people thought that raising your child in an atmosphere of achievement was a good thing.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yes, there are many parents who have severely low expectations of their children. It's sad.

I was fascinated that almost all of the comments were negative. Very few people thought that raising your child in an atmosphere of achievement was a good thing.

Ain't that something???

Toxick

Splat
Every time I see this tread in the New Posts listing, I internally parse it as "Chinese food is best".

Now all I can think of is Shrimp Egg Fu Yung, and how fast I can get some into my belly.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

I don't think it is that...though so many parents are obsessed with "self esteem" they can view any type of reigning in of behaviors to be damaging..but rather the woman was so rigid in her expectations. What in the hell is piano and violen going to do for your child that playing the oboe wouldn't? I understand her point about quitting...nothing makes me more annoyed than someone who pays tons of money for lessons and gear for some activity and lets the kid drop out the moment it becomes difficult..but is the end result worth it? would sleepovers have hurt her children and made them somehow less than they are today? Would they have been dumber, or less capable had she been happy with them for getting an A-? Those kids are gonna go to college and either turn into raging alcoholic whores, or going to be socially stunted and stay in their room unless it is to go to the honor society meeting. Which is fine if that's what you want your child to be..but I would prefer mine to be a little more well rounded and personable

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I can relate to that. In the past, I've had to remind the Things when my birthday is so they could ask me to take them to the store and buy me something. :lol: We have no family in the area to automatically think of this, so they're kind of at a disadvantage having to depend on others. Now that they're older, I can drop them off at a store with a wish list and they do pretty well. :yay:

annemayer

Every time I see this tread in the New Posts listing, I internally parse it as "Chinese food is best".

Now all I can think of is Shrimp Egg Fu Yung, and how fast I can get some into my belly.

I thought it was going to say "Chinese moms are best.....at doing my nails."

Lan

I thought it was going to say "Chinese moms are best.....at doing my nails."

Just goes to show how sheltered a life you've lived, and doesn't surprise me considering the demographics here.

Statistically speaking, you're more likely to have a non-Asian person do your nails in the US, considering that 49% of all Asian Americans age 25+ have at least a bachelors degree, the highest proportion of college graduates out of all races and ethnic groups in the US. They also comprise the highest proportion of any other race and ethnic group with advanced degrees (Master's, Ph.D., M.D., J.D.) 86% have at least a high school diploma.

Not to mention, the median annual income of Asian Americans is $64,238, the highest among all race groups.

So sure, out here in the boondocks you may find a lot of Asian American small business owners that do your nails/hair and sell you fake Chinese food or Asian cuisine. But still, statistically speaking, you're more likely to have your nails done by a white person than an Asian person if you were to randomly choose any salon/ beauty parlor in the US.

Last edited:

TurboK9

What are you talking about? :killingme Even if they were in China, it is hardly a third world country and hasn't been. They have high expectations..and even she admits her methods were harsh. Doesn't have anything to do with starving. Just a cultural difference.

??? How much time have you spent in rural china??

Most of the people living in the cities there were rural farm folk 30 years ago. They were closer to 3rd world just 20 years ago, outside the cities, than you apparently know... Many don't even have running water, and do all their farm work without modern tools and harvesting equipment.

Look it up.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But still, statistically speaking, you're more likely to have your nails done by a white person than an Asian person if you were to randomly choose any salon/ beauty parlor in the US.

Not in SoMD - here you're way more likely to have an Asian woman do your nails and give you a pedicure.

And they're not Chinese anyway, they're mostly Korean and Vietnamese.