Play Groups

ewashkow

Hey everyone. My son is closing in on 10 months and I need to get him around more kids his age. The only person I know with young kids is my neighbor so my son is already fine with them. He needs to broaden his circle though. Anyone know of any play groups around? Where would be a good place to go to just get him out there with other kids? Thanks for any suggestions.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Is this a new thing - get your children some friends when they are still basically at the infant stage? I must be really weird, because my kids didn't have any friends that young! :lol: They had family. Oh, and pets. :biggrin:

Most (not all!) children under 1 year of age cannot even walk, much less talk or interact verbally (other than babble) with any of their own kind. :jet: Unless they are going to daycare, children usually only need their mommies and/or daddies and family around them. They're not exactly craving extra social curricular activities, are they? :confused:

rkrider

Is this a new thing - get your children some friends when they are still basically at the infant stage? I must be really weird, because my kids didn't have any friends that young! :lol: They had family. Oh, and pets. :biggrin:

Most (not all!) children under 1 year of age cannot even walk, much less talk or interact verbally (other than babble) with any of their own kind. :jet: Unless they are going to daycare, children usually only need their mommies and/or daddies and family around them. They're not exactly craving extra social curricular activities, are they? :confused:

I totally agree!
They will get more than enough time with other kids when they are in school.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
Hey everyone. My son is closing in on 10 months and I need to get him around more kids his age. The only person I know with young kids is my neighbor so my son is already fine with them. He needs to broaden his circle though. Anyone know of any play groups around? Where would be a good place to go to just get him out there with other kids? Thanks for any suggestions.

This sounds like something you would do with a toddler, not a 10-month-old.

fullofbull

You could sign him up for storytime at the library once a week to be around other kids. They also have playgroups there as well. I don't know how the playgroups are though, my little guy is only 7 months & the age requirement for playgroup is 9 months & up. He loves to be around other children & play with them, but it's hard to find groups that you don't have to pay for. I just don't feel like paying for my child to make friends...IMO.

ewashkow

The reason I think my boy needs it is because when he is around other kids his age he: takes toys/bottles/cups that another child is using and puts it beside him-not play with or use it, pokes the child, etc. He doesn't do that with people he knows but other kids are fair game. Since he is my first, I don't know if this is normal behavior or if my son is being a baby bully.

Bann

PREMO Member
The reason I think my boy needs it is because when he is around other kids his age he: takes toys/bottles/cups that another child is using and puts it beside him-not play with or use it, pokes the child, etc. He doesn't do that with people he knows but other kids are fair game. Since he is my first, I don't know if this is normal behavior or if my son is being a baby bully.

:confused: He's SEVEN months old. He is not a toddler, he's in the late stages of infancy.

Children are not born with manners, or any sense of decorum. The are self-centered little creatures. As it SHOULD BE when a child is still basically an infant. They don't need playmates at 7 months old They need parents who provide them with everything necessary for their proper development. (Food, love and nurturing, etc. ) It's also up to parents to teach them what they need to do and how to do it.

There is a reason why the play groups have an age requirement. Think about it. Or at least go to the Academy of American Pediatrics website and do some reading up on the stages of childhood development and learn something about your child/children. Please.

ewashkow

:confused: He's SEVEN months old. He is not a toddler, he's in the late stages of infancy.

Children are not born with manners, or any sense of decorum. The are self-centered little creatures. As it SHOULD BE when a child is still basically an infant. They don't need playmates at 7 months old They need parents who provide them with everything necessary for their proper development. (Food, love and nurturing, etc. ) It's also up to parents to teach them what they need to do and how to do it.

There is a reason why the play groups have an age requirement. Think about it. Or at least go to the Academy of American Pediatrics website and do some reading up on the stages of childhood development and learn something about your child/children. Please.

Quick question before I start my response. Who were you directing this reply to-me or fullofbull? My son is getting ready to turn a year old next month and yet you start off by mentioning a seven month old. My son was pushing ten months when this thread started.

My son does get everything I can provide for his well being and development. He is surrounded by family who dotes on him all day everyday. While my husband and I are at work, my mother comes down to take care of him. When we found out that he had plagiocephaly and insurance wouldn't cover it, we didn't think twice about paying for the treatment ourselves because that is what parents do. He wants for nothing-be it food, love, medical, etc. However, he can only learn to interact with others by being with others.

All I asked was if there were any play groups out there. As I stated earlier, I have no need for daycare but if he was enrolled, I wouldn't be asking this since I would feel as though he was being socialized enough. Yes, he is still young which is why I asked my pediatrician if it would be safe to do playgroups. Guess what-they said yes. In fact, it was encouraged.

As for age requirements, he fits into almost all the ones I have been able to find so clearly, I am not the only parent out there who is looking for their child to have interaction with others. True, I have not read even a fraction of the baby books out there but what I have read contradicts another thing that I have read. That is why I ask other parents what their experiences were and their recommendations. Admittedly, I don't know many people personally on this forum but that doesn't mean I won't get valid feedback. Thank you to the people who offered suggestions.

Just so you know, I went to the AAP website and according to them, around a year old is when you should start introducing your child to others if they haven't been already. Like I stated earlier, my son is not enrolled in daycare so he has not been exposed yet.

I respect your opinion that you think I might be rushing my son into something he isn't ready for yet. All I ask is that you in turn respect my opinion to try it and see how it goes.

Bann

PREMO Member
Quick question before I start my response. Who were you directing this reply to-me or fullofbull? My son is getting ready to turn a year old next month and yet you start off by mentioning a seven month old. My son was pushing ten months when this thread started.
Actually, I started out by replying to your original post where you said your son was 10 months old. Then I guess when reading fullofbull's reply, I didn't realize you posted again, which was a reply to me and I thought I was quoting fullofbull. Sorry for the confusion. :flowers:

While a 10 - 11 mo old is older than 7 mos., I just think it's unnecessary to be socialized in organized play groups that young. Children at that age (even age 1) are not seeking to make friends or establish friendships. They are very self-centered at that age, (as would be expected) and it's not unusual for children to not play together very long, if at all, at that age. Even if you're encouraging it. At that age, they generally play by themselves, or play side by side ("parallel play") or around each other. But not necessarily "with" each other. That's just a normal stage of their development, not because of anything wrong with the child.

Pediatricians may certainly encourage it, and I'm sure there is nothing wrong in trying it out if you are so inclined. Moms need a break & a "mommy/child" group get together can be a very welcome change from a mom's busy day. But even the AAP recommendations for a 1 yr. old are a starting point. Childhood development has a wide range of "normal" - so your child's mileage may vary!

Anyhoo, as for the reply I was making to fullofbull - I wholeheartedly stand by my position that 7 months old is too young to expect them to play nice & think of anyone but themselves. And, since I mistakenly replied to your post (replying to me) I meant to be encouraging fullofbull to visit the AAP website, not you. Again, sorry for the confusion on my part. My bad. :biggrin:

fullofbull

Actually, I started out by replying to your original post where you said your son was 10 months old. Then I guess when reading fullofbull's reply, I didn't realize you posted again, which was a reply to me and I thought I was quoting fullofbull. Sorry for the confusion. :flowers:

While a 10 - 11 mo old is older than 7 mos., I just think it's unnecessary to be socialized in organized play groups that young. Children at that age (even age 1) are not seeking to make friends or establish friendships. They are very self-centered at that age, (as would be expected) and it's not unusual for children to not play together very long, if at all, at that age. Even if you're encouraging it. At that age, they generally play by themselves, or play side by side ("parallel play") or around each other. But not necessarily "with" each other. That's just a normal stage of their development, not because of anything wrong with the child.

Pediatricians may certainly encourage it, and I'm sure there is nothing wrong in trying it out if you are so inclined. Moms need a break & a "mommy/child" group get together can be a very welcome change from a mom's busy day. But even the AAP recommendations for a 1 yr. old are a starting point. Childhood development has a wide range of "normal" - so your child's mileage may vary!

Anyhoo, as for the reply I was making to fullofbull - I wholeheartedly stand by my position that 7 months old is too young to expect them to play nice & think of anyone but themselves. And, since I mistakenly replied to your post (replying to me) I meant to be encouraging fullofbull to visit the AAP website, not you. Again, sorry for the confusion on my part. My bad. :biggrin:

I was responding to ewashkow's post & trying to be helpful. I understand that everyone has their opinion & I have mine. My child is advanced for his age & likes to be around other children. Yes, the mommy time around other adults is nice too, but not the reason for playdates. Yes, they don't do much, just exchange toys & babble to each other, but yes, that is social interaction which my son enjoys. And yes, I know that he enjoys it by his babbling, attention to what the other child/children are doing, smiling & all around happiness. I am also interacting with my child at the same time, while sitting next to him. My son gets my attention 24/7 & does not want or need for anything. I will continue to do what I believe is best for my child. Suggestions are welcome, however, I reserve the right to do as I see fit. Not every child is the same or has the same needs, so I refuse to do something just because everyone else is doing it. I'm sorry if I offended anyone by this post. I will not reply on this thread again. I have better things to do than justify myself to strangers. My child is my number one priority.

Bann

PREMO Member
I was responding to ewashkow's post & trying to be helpful. I understand that everyone has their opinion & I have mine. My child is advanced for his age & likes to be around other children. Yes, the mommy time around other adults is nice too, but not the reason for playdates. Yes, they don't do much, just exchange toys & babble to each other, but yes, that is social interaction which my son enjoys. And yes, I know that he enjoys it by his babbling, attention to what the other child/children are doing, smiling & all around happiness. I am also interacting with my child at the same time, while sitting next to him. My son gets my attention 24/7 & does not want or need for anything. I will continue to do what I believe is best for my child. Suggestions are welcome, however, I reserve the right to do as I see fit. Not every child is the same or has the same needs, so I refuse to do something just because everyone else is doing it. I'm sorry if I offended anyone by this post. I will not reply on this thread again. I have better things to do than justify myself to strangers. My child is my number one priority.

Good for you! :yay: No need to get huffy. People post opinions all the time. I personally wasn't offended by your reply, and you're certainly entitled to your own opinion and of course, to raise your own child as you see fit.

If someone posts a topic asking for opinions and people reply, everyone is now part of the discussion and people often reply to various posts. That's the way the forums work. :shrug:

It's wonderful that your child is very advanced for his age at 7 months. Good luck to you both!

trynitey

Try SouthernMDMommies.com

It's free and there are kids of all ages. It's unlikely you'll find a bunch of people with kids the same exact age as yours, but my kids play with kids 2yrs older and 2yrs younger than them. Your child may not do much at playgroups, but it's always nice to be able to meet moms in your area, regardless of your childs age. Your child will learn to interact with others as he/she gets older.

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE

It cracks me up the things that people obsess about these days!!! When did this "play date for babies" start? Oh, that is right all the younger people came from "Mamby Pamby Land". :killingme

Baby's are humans, not puppies that you have to socialize.

Last edited:

sanddollarkat

ewashkow-

Check out KIDDOS....I've been taking my son there for about a year now. He just turned 2. There is nothing wrong with wanting to socialize your child. My son has enjoyed his playgroup and made some good friends.

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE
ewashkow-

Check out KIDDOS....I've been taking my son there for about a year now. He just turned 2. There is nothing wrong with wanting to socialize your child. My son has enjoyed his playgroup and made some good friends.

For Christ sake, he is 2. What does he know about good friends and will he remember them????

Sounds to me more like a bored SAHM needs friends.

Another candidate for Mamby Pamby Land!!!!:killingme:killingme

Last edited: