Dead Space 2

Baz

This. ------------------>
I never played the first Dead Space. While I'm a big Sci-Fi fan, (Mass Effect(s), Knights of the Old Republic, etc.) I didn't really see how it was anything other than another Resident Evil meets Space shoot-the-zombies mash-up.

Am I wrong? Is there a plot?

LC_Sulla

I never played the first Dead Space. While I'm a big Sci-Fi fan, (Mass Effect(s), Knights of the Old Republic, etc.) I didn't really see how it was anything other than another Resident Evil meets Space shoot-the-zombies mash-up.

You are pretty much correct. But it was really well done. There is a plot.

BTW - Mass Effect 1/2 may be the best games ever.

Baz

You are pretty much correct. But it was really well done. There is a plot.

BTW - Mass Effect 1/2 may be the best games ever.

In that case, I think I'll add Dead Space 2 to my Gamefly list. Completely agree on the Mass Effects. :yay:

Toxick

Splat

Yeah, there's a plot. As far as video games go, it's a fairly sophisticated plot, with an overarching storyline that has to do with a populist religion which is based around an artifact discovered on a planet being mined by humans.

There's also a subplot that focuses on your character (Isaac Clarke - named after Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke) on a personal level, his girlfriend trapped on a transport ship (the main environment of the game) and your character's desire to rescue her after he received a cryptic and disturbing video message from her. You also see signs of his deteriorating sanity as the game progresses from dealing with almost nonstop stress and trauma.

And then there's a subplot which centers on your teammates (non-player characters) conflicting personalities and goals.

As far as gameplay goes, it's fun as all hell. Instead of going for headshots and other typical attack strategies, you disable your enemies first by dismembering them. And instead of conventional weapons, you use mining equipment for your armory. The first 'weapon' you get, for instance, is a plasma cutter which is used to chew through rock. Later you get a flamethrower and a tethered power saw.... stuff like that.

The environment is very creepy and scary. There were a few places that made me want to crap my pants. It's extremely gruesome, gory and eerie. Keep that in mind if there's any kids around.

It's one of the more well-done games that I've ever played, I'm looking forward to DS2 immensely.

Baz

Yeah, there's a plot. As far as video games go, it's a fairly sophisticated plot, with an overarching storyline that has to do with a populist religion which is based around an artifact discovered on a planet being mined by humans.

There's also a subplot that focuses on your character (Isaac Clarke - named after Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke) on a personal level, his girlfriend trapped on a transport ship (the main environment of the game) and your character's desire to rescue her after he received a cryptic and disturbing video message from her. You also see signs of his deteriorating sanity as the game progresses from dealing with almost nonstop stress and trauma.

And then there's a subplot which centers on your teammates (non-player characters) conflicting personalities and goals.

As far as gameplay goes, it's fun as all hell. Instead of going for headshots and other typical attack strategies, you disable your enemies first by dismembering them. And instead of conventional weapons, you use mining equipment for your armory. The first 'weapon' you get, for instance, is a plasma cutter which is used to chew through rock. Later you get a flamethrower and a tethered power saw.... stuff like that.

The environment is very creepy and scary. There were a few places that made me want to crap my pants. It's extremely gruesome, gory and eerie. Keep that in mind if there's any kids around.

It's one of the more well-done games that I've ever played, I'm looking forward to DS2 immensely.

Cool, thanks! Looks like I must have seriously underestimated this one. Normally not a gore-fest fan, but in the context of the plot, sounds like it fits.

Will certainly check out the new one.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Nothing, and I do mean nothing, scares my son. He loves zombie flicks and non stop gore. But this game has totally freaked him out. He just said he needs me to be in the room while he plays it.

n0n1m0us3

why so serious
I tried to play this game but there was too much screaming and carrying on for me to get very far. I did enjoy watching my boyfriend play, and the screaming and carrying on didn't bother him too much :) I'm excited to watch him play Dead Space 2 :buddies:

LC_Sulla

I downloaded this game (via Steam), and started playing it. I'm at chapter 2 of 12, i think.

Anyway, this game lives up to the hype, thoroughly gory and fun.