Litter Box for Dogs...

JabbaJawz

Be about it
REPOST so people are sure to see it and add their 2 cents...:cool:
--------------------------------------------------------

Am I insane for even considering this option?....

Dog Litter Box

Thoughts....

**If we get a pug, we are considering getting 2 so they can be company, etc...

#1 - I'd like to crate train a dog, but unless we get someone to come daily and let the dog have a pee break, that is not really a feasible option. I can't expect the pooch to be confined in a crate all day with no breaks. I haven't found anyone locally yet, and am leery of choosing a neighborhood kid - they get into after school events, etc... and may not be really reliable. Plus, I'd rather have someone come in the middle of the day anyway.

#2 - If we litter box train a dog, we can start with a circular gate set up in the kitchen area that will allow the dog to be 'free' without a crate, but not able to get to my cabinets, etc... and chew them up. I would just gate her off in the kitchen as opposed to a circular pen area, but with puppies I find it hard to believe that she wouldn't chew up my cabinet knobs, cabinets, etc... If we had a round gate up like THIS on the linoleum floor put a litter box in there w/her, the dog wouldn't be trapped in a crate, and would still be able to go potty. With the litter training they say to put the dogs on a feeding schedule, therefore we'd feed in the morning and let the dogs out before work. In the evenings they'd eat dinner with us. No daytime food.

Once the dogs are older and can be trusted, we can expand the area they get 'free run' of in the house and put the litter box in one certain area. Perhaps a doggie door on the door leading to the basement - that way the litter box would be out of the main area, but still accessible. Granted, it would be a while for that I'm sure, but just throwing out ideas.

:shrug:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I dunno, but sounds like a PITA to me. I can't imagine a dog using the litter box if you aren't there to teach it to use it.

My opinion is that if you have to do all that, then you shouldn't get a dog right now. I don't mean to sound negative, but that's just my feeling.

Puppies require gobs of time to properly socialize and train them. Getting two only doubles the problems, except they won't be lonely. Kinda like twins. :biggrin:

You should always put a dog (puppy) on a schedule for potty training...not only with a litter box, but I think that whole litter box idea is a gimmick.

My vote would be for a larger dog that was already socialized, somewhat obedience trained and already housebroken and kid tested. Smaller dogs are notorious for housebreaking issues.

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/pugs.html

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by cattitude
I dunno, but sounds like a PITA to me. I can't imagine a dog using the litter box if you aren't there to teach it to use it.

I'd be there on a long weekend to get the dog used to the litter box. I wouldn't just expect it to figure it out.

My opinion is that if you have to do all that, then you shouldn't get a dog right now. I don't mean to sound negative, but that's just my feeling.

But then we'll never have a dog. :bawl: Neither of us will ever be home during the day to let the pup out. We're home otherwise, but during the day we're at work and it's too far to run home at lunch.

My vote would be for a larger dog that was already socialized, somewhat obedience trained and already housebroken and kid tested. Smaller dogs are notorious for housebreaking issues.

We'd originally wanted a larger dog, but then we're looking at an animal that will require a lot of outdoor exercise, etc... I'm not opposed to getting a dog that's a couple years old, etc..., it's just hard to find a breed that I like. I hate long haired animals and am just not fond of many breeds. I'm sure we can figure something out, though.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by *archimedes*
I got an adult dog. Already housebroken. Waits all day just fine. :yay:

We're talking 11 hours, though - from the time we leave to when we get home. That seems really, really long.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Originally posted by PFgal
We'd originally wanted a larger dog, but then we're looking at an animal that will require a lot of outdoor exercise, etc... I'm not opposed to getting a dog that's a couple years old, etc..., it's just hard to find a breed that I like. I hate long haired animals and am just not fond of many breeds. I'm sure we can figure something out, though.
English Bully's are great. I want one sooo bad, but I want to wait until Jamie and I have a place of our own.

They require very little grooming, other than eye care and some may have dry skin conditions. They are also usually very well tempered, and good with kids. They require very little exercise, a short walk twice a day is enough for them.

The downside is that they drool alot, snore loudly, have a tendency to chew on anything and are very michievious (sp).

*Edited to add:

They are also pretty expensive to buy from a breeder. $1200-$1500 seems to be the going rate. I would suggest adopting...

Last edited:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by Mountain MaMa
What about housebreaking while you're off work for the baby? Do you have a fenced yard? Get a doggy door.

That's what I was thinking. You can't housebreak a dog just on the weekends.

I just think that if you're gonna have pets, your house has to pretty much gotta come second.

Doggy doors is a good alternative, but one would never work at my house...too many wild critters.

My dogs will wait about 10-12 hours although they don't have to generally.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
I'm telling ya PF, you want a Golden Retriever.
They are fantastic too! If you keep the coat short, you don't have to worry about the grooming as much...

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by Ehesef
They are fantastic too! If you keep the coat short, you don't have to worry about the grooming as much...

What?!? :yikes: You don't clip Goldens, you groom them.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by Mountain MaMa
What about housebreaking while you're off work for the baby? Do you have a fenced yard? Get a doggy door.

I could do the housebreaking while I'm off, but will have enough to deal with at that time. I'd rather get a dog a few mos. before the baby is born so we'll be in the swing of things. No fenced yard or doggy door - but even if I did I'd be afraid to let the pooch roll out in the yard without someone being home. I'd die if someone stole her!

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
What?!? :yikes: You don't clip Goldens, you groom them.
We used to give ours a buzzcut every summer. Poor thing got sunburnt one year cause she was cut too short. She would hide for a day or two after her haircut because she knew she looked ridiculous. If I had one, I'd leave the coat long just because they are such beautiful dogs.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I'm telling ya PF, you want a Golden Retriever.

They have too much hair for me, I Just don't really like dogs with all that mess.

I just spoke to a local pet sitter - most charge about $12/day to come midday and walk/play with the pooch. Doesn't sound bad until you add up that it's $200/month for the times we'd need her (M-Th).

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I have to agree with the bulldogs. They are very good dogs and require very little exercise compared to a lot of other breeds. They don't drool as much as people tend to think they do. I have two friends that have them and have plenty more. It's usually the larger wrinkly dogs that drool a lot. Not that they don't drool at all but just not as much as other breeds. Go get you some bulldogs PF.

If I ever imagined having the room I'd get newfies. :biggrin:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Originally posted by pixiegirl
I have to agree with the bulldogs. They are very good dogs and require very little exercise compared to a lot of other breeds. They don't drool as much as people tend to think they do. I have two friends that have them and have plenty more. It's usually the larger wrinkly dogs that drool a lot. Not that they don't drool at all but just not as much as other breeds. Go get you some bulldogs PF.

If I ever imagined having the room I'd get newfies. :biggrin:
I want a Great Dane, but I don't think I could afford to feed that and the Rottie....I'd have to take up a neighborhood collection...:biggrin:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by *archimedes*
Get a guinea pig :yay:

:barf: Seriously dude, it's starting to look that way. :lol:

We really would love a dog, and both had them growing up. The difference was that my Dad worked nights, therefore the dog always had someone to let her out. We'll never work close to home, so it's like our hands are tied.