Used baby things..

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Would it be a bad idea to get a used travel system?

I have a lot of hand me down things..(which I love ) but they have all been from family and friends...one thing I would like is a nice travel system..I was planning on buying a brand new one..but I have seen several offers in the classifieds..and the miser in me sees the cost savings..but I am not super keen on getting it from strangers..do the seats and bases become less safe over time? could someone use it improperly and damage it without it being obvious?

would you get a used system?

craptastic

I have a lot of hand me down things..(which I love ) but they have all been from family and friends...one thing I would like is a nice travel system..I was planning on buying a brand new one..but I have seen several offers in the classifieds..and the miser in me sees the cost savings..but I am not super keen on getting it from strangers..do the seats and bases become less safe over time? could someone use it improperly and damage it without it being obvious?

Yes, I would definitely get a used one ;) Just make sure it's in good shape :)

jaie

So happy!

That would be the one thing I would not get used. You never know what has been done to it. Even if it looks like it's in good shape you just can't be sure.

lovinmaryland

The only problem I would be worrying if it was in an accident or something.

When are you due? You can always check Leprechaun Lillies. They are having their spring/summer sale in April and they always have great deals on gently used items. All the travel systrems, car seats, pack and plays, etc... are carefully checked before accepted (they even check recalls)

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Because I'm cheap, I'd go for the used travel system.

The first time you take your wee little one out in a brand new travel system, it'll get banged up getting it out of the trunk, or going round an aisle in Target or something. Just cut to the chase and get a used one. Save the money for something more important, like a few good bottles of wine when you are finally able to drink. :cheers:

terbear1225

Because I'm cheap, I'd go for the used travel system.

The first time you take your wee little one out in a brand new travel system, it'll get banged up getting it out of the trunk, or going round an aisle in Target or something. Just cut to the chase and get a used one. Save the money for something more important, like a few good bottles of wine when you are finally able to drink. :cheers:

i remember reading that it's not a good idea to buy car seats used because if it's been in an accident it may have small hairline fractures that are very hard to see but that compromise it's ability to survive a future accident intact.

I don't recall ever seeing a car seat at leprechaun lillies. plenty of strollers but not car seats. could be wrong on that though.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
i remember reading that it's not a good idea to buy car seats used because if it's been in an accident it may have small hairline fractures that are very hard to see but that compromise it's ability to survive a future accident intact.

I don't recall ever seeing a car seat at leprechaun lillies. plenty of strollers but not car seats. could be wrong on that though.
So what if the car seat has been in a minor accident? As long as it's not been a terribly bad accident, the car seat is probably intact. Cars have more air bags on them now than ever, and car seats are manufactured with such extreme regulation that it isn't funny....so they are very likely just as structurally sound as when it was originally bought.

Having said that, if the used car seat has been in a major accident, all I said before is moot.

lovinmaryland

So what if the car seat has been in a minor accident? As long as it's not been a terribly bad accident, the car seat is probably intact. Cars have more air bags on them now than ever, and car seats are manufactured with such extreme regulation that it isn't funny....so they are very likely just as structurally sound as when it was originally bought.

Having said that, if the used car seat has been in a major accident, all I said before is moot.

if your car has been in an accident the police are "supposed" (I know you love the " " so I did that special for you :love:) to cut the strap in the back no matter if it is a minor or major accident. However they dont always do that. I personally wouldnt want to take the risk.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
I wouldn't buy a used carseat because you can't know for sure that it's never been involved in an accident. I worked in auto claims for a long time. We paid for replacement carseats, even in low impact accidents. Can't be too safe when it comes to your baby. On a side note.......I got a travel system for my little man. The stroller is so heavy to get in/out of my truck. But it was convenient when he was still in his rear facing carseat.

DosGattos

I have a used car seat and stroller. From what I understand if it has been in an accident/used for more than two years you should get a new one. That's what my mom said so I'm not really sure how accurate that is. I would ask your Dr. they might know. Or you could write the company of the car seat in question and see what they recommend. Another option would be to get a used stroller and just buy the car seat. That would save you any concerns or worries about the effectiveness of the car seat.

puggymom

I would not use a used carseat unless I knew (and trusted) who owned it before but I would totally get one of those big strollers used.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
I would not use a used carseat unless I knew (and trusted) who owned it before but I would totally get one of those big strollers used.

:yeahthat: on the first point.

Both of my babies HATED the big strollers and would only tolerate the tiny umbrella strollers. Two big fancy strollers went straight to the Salvation Army.

Each child is different, but I would err on the safe side as far as a car seat goes.

USAA used to have a great deal on car seats. Not sure if they do anymore.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Most thrift shops will not sell car seats because you have no idea what the history is.

A ten MPH accident can cause as much as ten G deceleration. If a 15 pound kid is in the car seat, it can experience a 150 pound force. That force can weaken the seat enough that when you are in a bad crash it will not protect the baby.

Acceleration and Crush Distance can equal major injuries. In an automobile crash, acceleration is inversely related to how long the car moves before it comes to a stop (the crush distance).
a = V 2 /2s
where a=acceleration, V=velocity of impact, s=the Crush Distance.

Let’s look at 2 car collision scenarios:
A car hits a brick wall at 10mph and crushes the front of the car 5 inches.
A=78.3 m/sec 2, or 8 GS of Force
A car hits a brick wall at 10mph. This car has a different car design and crushes the front of the car only 2 inches.
A=196m/sec 2, or 30G’s of force.
http://www.wellsphere.com/back-neck...e-car-accident-can-cause-a-lot-of-pain/458206

When my wife and kids were rear ended, my wife and daughter got whiplash. My son didn't even wake up. As far as I was concerned, his car seat just paid for itself. I cut the straps then put it in the trash. Insurance usually covers the replacement cost, so there's no reason not to.

Even if a car seat was not in an accident plastic ages and becomes brittle, especially when exposed to UV (sunlight) and hot/cold cycling (like down in the teens in winter, then up above 140 in the summer).

I just don't think the car seat is the place to get cheap.

Last edited:

Pushrod

Patriot
We bought a used system with two bases and it was in excellent condition. Nothing wrong with getting used as long as you inspect it thoroughly.
PM me if your interested in anything like bouncers or swings, our little munchkin has recently grown out of several things that we purchased new and are in excellent shape.

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
I take hand me downs for anything but I would buy a new car seat. The stroller/carseat combo I bought was from Babies r Us and it was only $150. I hate how the extra bases cost about $60 by themselves.

Cowgirl

I would buy a new one. There are really nice ones out that you can use for years, so I'd spend the money to buy a nice one.

mmesser0

C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!
Yes, car seats do "go bad". I've owned 3 different car seats, and each one has had a "Do not use after MM/DD/YY" on the bottom of it. I definitely would never buy a used car seat. As another poster stated, I think a car seat is good for about 2 years.

SunnyDay

Yippee
No Used Baby Seats!!

No. Do not buy any used baby seats. Most "hand me down" stores won't even sell them. Unless it's your family member or neighbor you absolutely trust and it's only 1 or 2 years old...then maybe. Otherwise, no, buy new. Car seats/infants seats are only good for 4 years. After that, the reseachers suggest you get a new one. Yes, they are expensive, and that's why, they are so very important and only last a few years. Take on the expense and keep your child as safe as possible. Also, just a side note, when purchasing a system the stores will generally let you take the seat out to your car and test it....see how it fits. Some seats fit better on cloth and other on leather. If you go somewhere nicer like a Baby's-R-Us and such...they'll do that for it.
Good Luck and Happy Shopping!

puggymom

Car Seat Expiration - What to Know About Car Seat Expiration

Yes car seats expire but the average is actually about 6 years. But all cars seats have an expiration date on them. I still would not use a used one unless I knew an trusted who have it before me.
I had both of my kids within 19 months then I was finished having kids (two was just our number).6 months after my youngest was born he was grown out of his infant seat and it still had three years of life according to the expiration date. My SIL was pregnant at the time and we told them to use their money on a nice convertible seat because we would give them our travel system since infant seats are not used that long anyway. We were a known and trusted source because I would have immediately trashed it in the event of an accident and they knew that.