Dinosaur Land

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
My youngest (soon to be 7) is obsessed with dinosaurs so I thougt about taking him somewhere for his birthday that has to do with them. Has anyone ever been to this place? Welcome to Dinosaur Land, located in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley! Most of the reviews are from years and years ago. I'm planning on calling to inquire shortly but wanted to see if anyone here has been.

I thought about the Smithsonian or Maryland Science Center also as possible places. He has gone to the MSC and enjoyed it but that was before his dino craze so he might not have paid much attention to those exhibits like he would nowadays. I can't remember if he's been to the Smithsonian for a school field trip or not but like the MSC, he probably didn't pay much attention to the dinosaurs.

This Dinosaur Land looks pretty cool and seems better suited for us since it looks like it's mostly outdoors (his birthday isn't until April).

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
I remember going to that place. Loads of dinosaur figures - not quite true to life but still huge. I just don't remember if there was anything to do there except look at the dinosaurs....

Last edited:
There's a park in laurel, MD where you can dig for dino fossils. Only been open a couple months and already found quite a few.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I remember going to that place. Loads of dinosaur figures - not quite true to life but still huge. I just don't remember if there was anything to do there except look at the dinosaurs....

I dug around some more and found more up-dated reviews. Says that some of the figures are from when it first opened and they have just added on to it. Sounds kind of "old school roadside attraction-ish" to me. Distance is about 2 1/2 hrs which isn't bad but don't want to drive that way for a let-down.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
There's a park in laurel, MD where you can dig for dino fossils. Only been open a couple months and already found quite a few.

I saw that too but it sounds like anything you find, they keep. We'd be going in April so not sure if digging in cold dirt would be appealing or not. Will keep it in mind though. Maybe something to do when it gets warmer out for a day-trip.