Pre School Reviews

banksj

Does anyone have any experience with the following preschools?

Grace Brethren Christian School (Clinton MD)
Patuxent Montessori School (Bowie MD)

My daughter is 3 and is in daycare and we are ready to move her to a more structured learning environment. Does anyone have experience with the school listed above or have recommendations for a parent of a 3 year old living in Clinton?

4ps

Preschool survey. We need your feedback. Thanks!

Children are growing up so quickly these days.

OLSS School Pre-Kindergarten Interest Survey

OLSS (Our Lady Star of the Sea School) Pre-Kindergarten Interest Survey
Our Lady Star of the Sea School is proposing to start a Pre-Kindergarten program beginning in either the 2011/12 or 2012/13 school year. The OLSS Pre-Kindergarten program will be faith based with an age appropriate academic curriculum. In preparation for our application to the Archdiocese of Washington, we are required to conduct a survey of interest. Thank you in advance for participating in this quick survey. Your response to these questions will help us with the approval of our application. There are 7 questions that should take less than 3 minutes to complete.

Please visit our website at OLSSS to take our survey! Thank you!

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE

My daughter is 3 and is in daycare and we are ready to move her to a more structured learning environment. Does anyone have experience with the school listed above or have recommendations for a parent of a 3 year old living in Clinton?

Why don't you just let her be a child for a few more years??

poster

1/ let her be a kid as long as possible
2/ move out of clinton before she gets to school
3/ if moving is not an option get her into a private school and hope for the best

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
I guess they need to be in preschool by age 3 if they're making friends already at 7-10 months old! :whistle:

Well don't kids have to be able to write a novel by the time they enter kindergarten nowadays? :killingme The days of going to school just knowing ABCs and counting to 10 are gone. I think many parents, me included, feel that their kids will be at a disadvantage if they don't go to preschool. Pathetic really. I think kids should just be kids as long as possible but I understand parents wanting to have their kids in a school type setting prior to kindergarten.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Most of the posters on here are from St Marys Calvert and Charles. You need to find a PG county forum to find out more about that area.

Bann

PREMO Member
Well don't kids have to be able to write a novel by the time they enter kindergarten nowadays? :killingme The days of going to school just knowing ABCs and counting to 10 are gone. I think many parents, me included, feel that their kids will be at a disadvantage if they don't go to preschool. Pathetic really. I think kids should just be kids as long as possible but I understand parents wanting to have their kids in a school type setting prior to kindergarten.

Okay, I get that, but seriously? What are we doing to these children? They are babies at that age.

Granted, Thing2 is 15 now, but "people" were advocating "earlier" childhood education then, too. There were preschools in our county (FL) if you were willing to pay for your 3-4 yo to go.

Since I was a SAHM, I took him with me everywhere I went (shopping, errands, etc. etc.) and he was with me around the house as I did my daily routine (washing clothes, cleaning house, etc. etc.) He was exposed to music and TV. I did NOT drill him on his ABC's, 123's and colors, shapes :blahblah: I didn't have to "teach" him colors, numbers or those things - we lived it in our daily routine & it came naturally to talk about them.

Thing2 is an honors student in 9th grade and his PSAT scores indicate he should be taking an Advanced Placement (college level) course next year. My gawd, think of the genius I'd have NOW if only we'd drilled the hell out of him with flashcards when he was 3!

Childhood developmental stages are pretty predictable. There are wide ranges of normal development. You just can't put the horse before the cart with some of this development. I'm sure there are studies proving my opinion wrong, but there are also studies that say kids are not ready for school at age 3. And how many hours a day are we talking about for this "school day"? 2 or 3 hours max a few times a week, because that is all a child of that age is capable of paying attention for! (if that)

Your mileage may vary, but there is no guarantee that a child who is a whiz at his colors & numbers at age 3 is going to be graduating with honors from college & helping to develop computer programs which will launch the successor to the Space Shuttle later in life.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
Okay, I get that, but seriously? What are we doing to these children? They are babies at that age.

Granted, Thing2 is 15 now, but "people" were advocating "earlier" childhood education then, too. There were preschools in our county (FL) if you were willing to pay for your 3-4 yo to go.

Since I was a SAHM, I took him with me everywhere I went (shopping, errands, etc. etc.) and he was with me around the house as I did my daily routine (washing clothes, cleaning house, etc. etc.) He was exposed to music and TV. I did NOT drill him on his ABC's, 123's and colors, shapes :blahblah: I didn't have to "teach" him colors, numbers or those things - we lived it in our daily routine & it came naturally to talk about them.

Thing2 is an honors student in 9th grade and his PSAT scores indicate he should be taking an Advanced Placement (college level) course next year. My gawd, think of the genius I'd have NOW if only we'd drilled the hell out of him with flashcards when he was 3!

Childhood developmental stages are pretty predictable. There are wide ranges of normal development. You just can't put the horse before the cart with some of this development. I'm sure there are studies proving my opinion wrong, but there are also studies that say kids are not ready for school at age 3. And how many hours a day are we talking about for this "school day"? 2 or 3 hours max a few times a week, because that is all a child of that age is capable of paying attention for! (if that)

Your mileage may vary, but there is no guarantee that a child who is a whiz at his colors & numbers at age 3 is going to be graduating with honors from college & helping to develop computer programs which will launch the successor to the Space Shuttle later in life.

First I'd just like to say that my son will some day "help develop computer programs which will launch the successor to the Space Shuttle". :yahoo: :killingme

I'm glad your kids are doing so well. I love staying home with my son too, miss my career sometimes but it's a choice we made and planned for. I read a lot with him and talk with him all the time. I take him everywhere with me and introduce him to new things constantly. We'll see when he goes to school if I've done a good enough job. Face it......nobody wants their child to be the slow child in class. I will send him to preschool a couple days a week when the time comes because I do think it helps prepare kids for what's to come. Quite frankly, I don't even know what kids should know before starting school nowadays.

Bann

PREMO Member
First I'd just like to say that my son will some day "help develop computer programs which will launch the successor to the Space Shuttle". :yahoo: :killingme

I'm glad your kids are doing so well. I love staying home with my son too, miss my career sometimes but it's a choice we made and planned for. I read a lot with him and talk with him all the time. I take him everywhere with me and introduce him to new things constantly. We'll see when he goes to school if I've done a good enough job. Face it......nobody wants their child to be the slow child in class. I will send him to preschool a couple days a week when the time comes because I do think it helps prepare kids for what's to come. Quite frankly, I don't even know what kids should know before starting school nowadays.

I have two children. One had developmental delays in his ability to process information and a lot of challenges in the way he learns information. So I do know what it's like to have a child who learns differently than the average kid.

I chose not to send my youngest to preschool, but he didn't suffer at all from it. As I've said - your mileage may vary! :flowers:

Giantone

1/ let her be a kid as long as possible
2/ move out of clinton before she gets to school
3/ if moving is not an option get her into a private school and hope for the best

I would agree with this......

Don't know how close you are but St.Peter's in Waldorf has a great Kindergarten program.I was all about "Public schools " and my taxes and such till my kids were old enough to go to school......yeah I had to pay but it was worth it.

emma1606

I would agree with this......

Don't know how close you are but St.Peter's in Waldorf has a great Kindergarten program.I was all about "Public schools " and my taxes and such till my kids were old enough to go to school......yeah I had to pay but it was worth it.

Great to hear because we just registered our son for this fall :yahoo:

poster

Most of the posters on here are from St Marys Calvert and Charles. You need to find a PG county forum to find out more about that area.

I am from south PG Co., went to public schools there.
Thankfully we don't live there any longer and it would be over my dead body before I would let my child go to any of the schools today (or any other in PG) that I went to.