Dogs as Weapons in NY

Hello6

Princess of Mean
N.Y. Bill Would Classify Dogs As Weapons
Sun Feb 1, 2:36 PM ET Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By MICHAEL HILL, Associated Press Writer

ALBANY, N.Y. - Shotgun. Switchblade. Blackjack. Dog?

A dangerous canine would be defined as a "deadly weapon" under a bill before the New York Legislature.

"Some of these dogs are killing machines," said Assemblyman Patrick Manning, whose proposal also would allow towns to ban certain breeds.

The bill is among a pack of legislative solutions being offered nationwide to address the problem of vicious dogs, which Manning said are becoming "the weapon of choice for drug dealers or gangbangers."

The legislation doesn't single out any particular breed, but frequent targets in other states are pit bulls and Rottweilers, which have been involved in highly publicized attacks on people.

Manning's bill is called "Elijah's Law," after a 3-year-old mauled by a Rottweiler last fall in New York City.

Animal advocates said the proposal to characterize dangerous dogs as deadly weapons is novel, although cities including Denver and Cincinnati already have passed bans on pit bulls. And an Ohio law requires owners of vicious dogs to carry at least $100,000 worth of liability insurance.

Stephanie Shain of The Humane Society of the United States said she was not aware of any statewide bans on breeds.

Some communities with pit bull bans have reported fewer attacks, but many animal advocates believe bans are overly simplistic, sweeping away good dogs along with the bad.

Prince George's County, Md., is considering repealing its pit bull ban because of the number of family pets being destroyed.

"There are perfectly wonderful, safe pit bulls living with families and there are Labrador retrievers that are dangerous," Shain said.

The society advocates looking at the problem dog by dog, rather than breed by breed. Shain said local animal control officers should be empowered to restrict free-roaming or menacing dogs before they cause serious injury.

Also before the New York Legislature is a bill that would allow the destruction of dogs that unjustifiably attack a cat or another dog. Another bill would bar convicted drug dealers and other felons from owning pit bulls, Rottweilers or any vicious dog over 10 pounds.

Manning said he wants to let communities create registries of dangerous dogs to help police and emergency workers.

"Every newspaper article about another attack only reinforces that we have to do something," he said.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
All this "dog lover vs. dog hater" conversation has been interesting. Really. But I don't think we've ever come to a conclusion about what to do with vicious dogs and their owners.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
For the most part I am against BBL (breed ban legislation) but I do believe that in some areas it is not only beneficial to the community but to the animals as well. Take NYC for instance. I watch Animal Cops all the time on Animal Planet. It deals with the ASPCA officers in NYC. Never in my life have I seen so many abused/neglected/mistreated Pit Bulls and Rotties. They find fighting dogs left to die in alleys, junkyard dogs that are given no food or shelter, all kind of atrocious crap. And the fact of the matter is for the owners (if they can even find and procecute the owners) that the punsishment does not fit the crime.

Now I'm sure that there are some responsible Pit and Rottie owners in NYC and that's the part of BBL that I don't like. The masses (speaking of people) get punished for the actions of the few. But with abuse and animal cruelty such an issue in big cities it's something that needs to be done. Anyone who loves the breed and wants to help the image of the breed would undersand this.

I strongly agree that convicted drug dealers and felons should be restricted from owning a dog at all. Not that these idiots care about breaking the law. But these are usually the people that train and encourage their dogs to be vicious in the first place. Making it harder for them to own a dog could only benefit the dogs and community alike.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I agree with Pixie that we should hold the dog owners responsible for their pets' behavior.