Fishing, What Else ?

Capt Brady

Greetings to all as this is my first post on this forum. As a local fishing professional, I am surprised and challenged that there is little fishing information, in these So Md forums.

I'll see to what can be done about that!

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Originally posted by Capt Brady
Greetings to all as this is my first post on this forum. As a local fishing professional, I am surprised and challenged that there is little fishing information, in these So Md forums.

I'll see to what can be done about that!

Hey Cap't!!!
I'm an avid fisherman. I fish from the beach every chance I get and have had a really good year! I've tried posting about fish but there seems to be little interest (see my rockfish photos when you get a chance).
I'll be looking for you now!
bknarw

Rane

Lookin for Margaritaville
Hey Capt Brady .... what happened ? :question: Hubby was just saying to me ... I can't believe there isn't a forum in somd for fishing info, tips and such ... the middle and upper bay area has great message boards for fishermen but so far there is so little info on the lower Bay , Patuxent and Potomac to be found online. I told him that the SOMD forum here has a lot but not when it comes to outdoor recreation info and when someone posts a question they get little or no response . What is up with that ?

He reads the fishing reports from the Tackle Box , DNR and such, but sure wishes he could find a forum where fishermen could post their own experiences and ideas . For some reason this Outdoor Recreation forum isn't active when it comes to fishing ...? Hard to believe with all the water surrounding this area !!! :confused:

Capt Brady

Where To Start ?

I moderate or participate on other fishing forums that fairly well cover the Southern Maryland area.

There are three , primarily, Two are Aimoo communities, and the other is tidalfish.com.

There is also a Chesapeake Board which is part of Stripers On Line. I moderate the discussions there.

There are also other minor fishing forums, about six that I know of, and they struggle to exist.

The key to having an active fishing board is in my opinion, an atmosphere where readers/visitors to the site feel invited to share their information, comments, and opinions. Shortly thenafter a community of fishing persons, sharing info emerges, sometimes with great benefits to all.

Let's start here by addressing a question. Anybody care to ask one ?

Rane

Okay, I have many questions but I will go with just one at a time .... but first maybe I should mention that we have lived here a year now ... always lived and fished down south , so we are trying to learn how to fish here ( that is the reason for wanting to get info and advice ) so far enjoying it very much even though it is definitely different ... my first question is ... how long will croaker bite ? Are they mostly a summertime catch ?

Capt Brady

Atlantic Croaker, aka Hardhead are a seasonal fish which shows up from the ocean around late March to April and the stay until about the third week of September.

They are primarily bottom feeders, and become more active at night or on dark days. They attack bait covered hooks and will bite on a wide variety of baits. They will also take artifical lures under certain circumstances.

Croakers are stout fish. The minimum size allowed is nine inches and you are allowed a limit of twenty-five. A big one this year is anything over 18", with this year's average about twelve to fourteen.

They resist being reeled in, fiercely, and put up a strong fight.

Beware handling them though, their gill plate covers have a very sharp edge. Using a wet rag prevents a nasty cut.

Rane

Croaker are definitely fun to catch !! We've had good luck catching them with a bottom rig in the mouth of the Patuxent , with squid mostly ...however a friend of ours told us to try pieces of chicken breast ... sure enough, they bite that too !! I've seen those sharp gill plates and the teeth they have in their throat yikes !! :eek: hubby got me a thick rubberized glove that I use when taking fish off hooks, he and my son got tired of having to stop fishing every 10 min to take a fish off for me :biggrin:

We were just wondering if we were going to be able to catch croaker throughout the fall or not ...?

Question #2 - We would love to catch some flounder but so far no luck and we've been using a flounder bottom rig , any tips ?

Capt Brady

The croaker may last until the third week of Sept and then they move into the deeper water of the channels.

Flounder are a challenge to find and as their min size is 17.5", not too many are being taken . They like dropoffs and the steep sides of channels.

Rane

and another flounder related question ... where is the "Three Legged " ... the St Marys fishing report says flounder are being caught there .... and where is marker # 74 and # 76 ????

BullDawg

Duck Molester
The three legged bouy is right outside of Solomon's as you pass Drum Point and enter into the bay. It's more on the St. Mary's side. Just look for the wooden bouy that is made from 3 "telephone" poles - hence the name the three legged bouy.

BullDawg

Duck Molester
My question - Which type of fish finder to you find to be the most accurate and easiest to read. I've used the Sitex ones before and really like them. I'll be doing mostly rock fishing with the new boat, but will need to use the fish finder to locate shools of spot, etc. when I go live-lining.

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
I have a fish finder question for anyone who can answer. I have an Eagle fish/depth finder that was on the boat when I bought it used. It's still only a little over two years old, but the past two weeks there are about four lines on the left side of the screen that don't pick up. Naturally, this is where the depth reads on the top left. You can still make it out, but barely. I tried cleaning the "lens" but the lines are still there. Is it shot?

Rane

Thanks for that info Tipsy ... gonna check it out next time we go fishing ( probably next weekend ) Farmers Almanac says now till the 18th are the best fishing days this month but its really hard to go night fishing for croaker and be able to get up early and get to work on time the next morning :frown:

Speaking of rockfish ... that is another name for striped bass here in Md, correct ? ... anyways, we were fishing saturday evening off Hog Point and suddenly hundreds of stripers started jumping all around our boat , hubby couldn't grab a pole fast enough to throw out an artificial lure , 10 seconds later he hooked one, too bad it was too small to keep , but was sure fun anyways ! :smile: The school moved on so we didnt get another chance ... I have never seen this before, do they do this often ? if so I'm gonna be ready next time with my own pole :biggrin:

BullDawg

Duck Molester
Originally posted by Rane
hubby couldn't grab a pole fast enough to throw out an artificial lure , 10 seconds later he hooked one, too bad it was too small to keep , but was sure fun anyways ! :smile: The school moved on so we didnt get another chance ... I have never seen this before, do they do this often ? if so I'm gonna be ready next time with my own pole :biggrin:

That happens a lot around here. The schools move quick and they are usually under 18". However there are some bigger ones in the school. Trouble is, they are usually underneath the fish pile. Trying throwing a heavier and bigger jig and run it deep. You want the jig to just be a bit too big for the 16" ers to grab a hold of. Good luck and don't cut the boat off when your're chasing schools cause you got to move quick. Also, a steel leader may help, some snapper blues in the fish pile too.

Last edited:

SurfaceTension

Seeking help with fly:

I'm a displaced fly thrower who recently picked up a 9wt rig to give saltwater a go. I no longer have access to a boat, so where is the best place to get my line wet? Suggested flies/techniques? Stripers would be nice, but I'm open to any game.

Rane

hmmm... i dont know anything about fly fishing ... grew up fishing with a hook, worm and bobber in the south , hubby is still trying to teach me about artificial lures, I think he is ready to give up :biggrin: I hear there are trout here but have yet to see one , we are still trying to figure out the waters and fish here in MD ...

Rane

Re: Seeking help with fly:

Originally posted by SurfaceTension
I'm a displaced fly thrower who recently picked up a 9wt rig to give saltwater a go. I no longer have access to a boat, so where is the best place to get my line wet? Suggested flies/techniques? Stripers would be nice, but I'm open to any game.

Surface Tension ... did you see the comment in the St Mary's County fishing report about streamers working when 4 in sassy shads don't ( regarding rockfish ) ?

Capt Brady

Apologies to all, guiding is a fulltime business and at the day's end, I'd rather leave the fishing alone for awhile, so while I've been here doing the GMP Channel 10 TV show and guiding, I've not been posting regularily anywhere. Shame on me.

All that behind us now, how about a question or two to warm up the neurons.

Rane

yes, shame on you Capt Brady ...jk... I can surely relate to that, when I worked for AOL last thing I wanted to do when I got home was get on the computer ....but I still can't believe how few people post any fishing comments, experiences, etc ... here on SOMD ... THAT is the real shame ... hubby and I have been checking out some of the maryland fishing boards and its always makes for interesting reading... sooo anyways ... Capt Brady ... I have a question, I was reading that trout will be showing up soon, is that true ? If so, will we find them in the Bay, perhaps the mouth of the Patuxent ? ( that is hubby's fave fishing place )